What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Mongrol Gone From the Game - Artie

Anonymous

Juniors
From Artie:
"...in the old days you used to have a contest in the scrums, the play the ball was a two-man scrum and you had blokes playing the ball forward to score tries."
I agree 100%
My bugbear is the role of the marker who should be allowed to contest the ball and rake it. I still expect to see a rake back everytime there's a sloppy play-the-ball. Makes the game more unpredictable.

Southernsaint

Staff member
I'm all for contesting the ball at the scrum & play-the-ball as long as it doesn't turn into Rah-Rah with the technical penalties & stoppages...

We've already got AFL lovers like Tony 110% Squires saying that our sport is "stop-start" as it is...

Cheers,
Ben S.

raking in play the ball should never have been removed. As for scrums, only there so backs have some room to move...but never gets used anyways. Only used so 9 can throw to a break

RLS

Juniors
The rules now are better than they used to be, scrums were always horrible and usually ended in a penalty, and raking the ball back breaks the continuity of the game, by not allowing it, it allows the attacking team to put pressure on in the oppositions territory, and if your team is able to hold them out with good defence it really builds to the atmosphere, it opens the game more.