What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

More death-riding of RL by news corp.

Loudstrat

Coach
So everybody at work and all your friends are constantly talking about the league world cup are they ?

Personally the only place i have come accross anyone discussing the league world cup is here.

How is it another news limited conspiricy if it is the truth ?

Whinger.

No one talks about the Under 20's in comparison with the Olympics, NRL, AFL, Wimbledon etc. Should we can that too?

scuzzi

Juniors
Does anyone know how this guy qualifies as an "expert." Going by his picture he doesn't seem like an ex rugby league player and seems to be in his late 20's early 30's.

Does getting a journalism degree qualify people as experts now?

Brutus

Referee
It was just a lazy artcile, most probably by a bloke who had nothing else to write.

A very easy article to write.

butchmcdick

Immortal
Whinger.

No one talks about the Under 20's in comparison with the Olympics, NRL, AFL, Wimbledon etc. Should we can that too?

No but then nobody is arguing that it is relevant to those events.

The context of my comments were in relation to those posters who were sh*tcanning the article as being untrue.

Right now nobody is talking about the league world cup. That could be due to the fact that the NRL finals are on. It could also be due to the fact that nobdy really believes that anyone other than the kangaroos will win it.

Also it is a bit hard to get wood over ireland v png.

Loudstrat

Coach
No but then nobody is arguing that it is relevant to those events.

The context of my comments were in relation to those posters who were sh*tcanning the article as being untrue.

Right now nobody is talking about the league world cup. That could be due to the fact that the NRL finals are on. It could also be due to the fact that nobdy really believes that anyone other than the kangaroos will win it.

Also it is a bit hard to get wood over ireland v png.

So the Toyota Cup isnt relevant to the NRL?

Should future sports fixtures be banned solely on the basis of your erectile dysfunction?

I'm well and truly over League ventures being bagged for not being up there with others. It's a Union spin that the League's international presence is crap. Yes, it's smaller than Unions. Yet Union has a provincial comp that cant get onto FTA compared to Origin, and domestic comps that hqardly make the local paper. AFL gets bigger crowds to it's comp matches - runs spasmodic mickey mouse interstate games once every Halley's Comet, and has an international presence as big as the Antarctic team in the Olympics.

Should we can the Netball or Hockey world cups too?

JasonE

Bench
This time Nick Wankshaw gets in on the act. Why don't these clowns understand that Rugby League pays their bills.

http://www.news.com.au/dailytelegraph/sport/nrl/story/0,26799,24327020-5016307,00.html
Does anybody even care?

I have friends in the uk who have been planning their trip to Australia for the World Cup for over 2 years, saving every penny. They care and so does the thousands of others. Personally, i can't wait for it to begin either.

We need to make this WC a massive success on and off the field to shove it up Nick Wankshaw.

Brutus

Referee
It was just so predictable that we would eventually see an article like this.

I just didn't expect to come from Walshaw.

Maybe we should encourage every league writer in Sydney to get their trashy, lazy predictable World Cup-bashing articles out of the way in the next week so. Get the crap out of the way so it doesn't ruin the event when it's actually on.

Loudstrat

Coach
I have friends in the uk who have been planning their trip to Australia for the World Cup for over 2 years, saving every penny. They care and so does the thousands of others. Personally, i can't wait for it to begin either.

We need to make this WC a massive success on and off the field to shove it up Nick Wankshaw.

I think the ARL so far have done a wonderful job promoting the tournament (yes, Perth Red - agree that games should have gone your way. Agree that poor old PNG have been shafted, but...)

The expectation is growing, and that's great. Ticketing seems to have been handled well.

Perth Red

Post Whore
Whilst alot more could have been done to peak interest (such as commentators actually talking about it on TV!) this is just an anti RL opinion piece. To say no one cares because bookies aren't taking much money two months out is BS! No mention of all the tickets sold or the millions State Govts have paid to host games or the thousands of pommie RL barmy army that are coming over.

Sorry but this is just a cheap shot that I hope Sydney folk will respond to by going out and buying tickets to games and telling Nick Whoreshaw to shove it where the sun don't shine!

The Tank

Bench
Another one, this time from Mascord:

LEAGUE'S image in Britain as being a sport only for the industrial north has taken a battering with three southerners named in England's World Cup train-on squad.

In the equivalent of Australia picking players who learnt the game in Victoria and South Australia, coach Tony Smith has named Tony Clubb and Louie McCarthy-Scarsbrook of Harlequins and Darrell Griffi of Huddersfield in his preliminary squad.

http://www.news.com.au/dailytelegraph/sport/nrl/story/0,26799,24332088-5006066,00.html

Perth Red

Post Whore
I went to a PNG v Tonga game in the 2000 World Cup. best game of RL and best party atmosphere at a game I have EVER been to, and it was on a freezing rainy night in a half filled stadium! I love watching the "emerging nations" playing and the WC is generally the only chance you get to see Samoa, Tonga, France etc. Bring it on!

Calixte

First Grade
Pathetic News sh*te.

The tournament will be a wonderful advertisement for our game.

Walshaw can get f**ked. And he should hand his press ticket over to someone else for the duration of the tournament.

We are not the slightest bit interested in his views on the event...

(Bet the house he ends up in a press box somewhere watching)