What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

More disappointing

LeagueXIII

First Grade
If stating the reality of the situation that we find ourselves in is arrogant, then I guess that reality is arrogant in this case...

Your flaw is A. believing that Australian RL is strong simply because it is stronger than RL in other nations, when in the grand scheme of things it's not all that strong, and B. that the NRL can actually really do anything of value to change the other nations situation, when 90% of the time they really can't, only those other nations can.

A. you misunderstood my reasoning of Australia being strong

And B. Your points are rubbish

The Great Dane

First Grade
A. you misunderstood my reasoning of Australia being strong

And B. Your points are rubbish
I didn't misunderstand at all, I'm be just being straight with you, and the only reason you're calling it rubbish is because you are incapable of actually addressing it without resorting to fanciful hypotheticals where the NRL gives up any profit motive and just ploughs money it doesn't have, and would/should be spent growing the sport in Australia if they did have it, into RL internationally in the hope that it makes some sort of difference.

You said it yourself 'if the NRL was up against the Premier League it would get smashed', so maybe they shouldn't even try until they've got in some practice against the AFL first!

adamkungl

Immortal
If RL was in a good place in Australia then I might a agree with you, but at this point RL is f**ked in more than half the country. So how about the NRL look after it's own backyard first before it tries to save the world.

I also don't necessarily agree that making more and more other nations dependant on the NRL by "investing" in them is actually a good idea or will actually lead to more interest in internationals in Australia.

1. The state of RL in half the country is due to the same apathy and arse-backwards short term thinking that cripples international RL - for the purposes of this discussion, WA and SA may as well be other countries.

2. I said invest in the game, not hand out money willy-nilly to random nations.
An easy starting point would be not plonking Origin in the prime calendar space for internationals, for the slimmest of vaguely possible benefits to the NRL.
Followed by having the Australian team play more than 1 game a year.

3. That said, strategic investment in the sport in a selection of other countries (and Australian states, for that matter) would result in not only improving their international standing and the international game, but from a selfish perspective has obvious benefits for the NRL. More fans, more players, more potential broadcast deals.