What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

More info on Morly

Raider_69

Post Whore
Morley is a stupid clod for doing this, as already said, but i think anything more than 8 weeks ban would be harsh mind you thats ontop of a fairly hefty fine

Raider_69

Post Whore
and fibro weather the players like it or not, they are in the public spotlight and they must act accordingly

yakstorm

First Grade
I think 95% of League Fans would prefer it if players could have a private life, and whatever they did kept private, no one likes seeing these things arise, especially those who follow the team the player is involved it.

I've met Morley a couple of times, and he is one of the nicest blokes I've come across, its terrible that this thing has happened, however from what he may of costed the RFL (somewhere in the vicinity of over a million pounds a year) I can see why they feel it can bring the game into disrepute.

Fibroman

First Grade
I still disagree.

People that are in ' the spotlight ' must be very careful about what they do and don't do whilst ' out on the town ', but that is to save embarassment to them, personally.

If a sales rep or tradesman that is employed by a company does something like Morley did, they don't get an additional fine and suspension imposed upon them. If holding a drivers license is essential for their employment, they run the risk of losing their job, but since when is it essential for a rugby league player to hold a drivers license as part of their employment.

As far as I'm concerned, imposing additional fines and suspensions, is just a publicity stunt by the rugby league as a token way of trying to show the general public how responsible their organisation is. Like I said before, what the Court gives him should be sufficient. There shouldn't be any double dipping.

Can someone explain how the incident cost the RFL a million pounds?

ozzie

Bench
Zef said:
Grantwhy said:
He also initially gave a false name - Tommy Smith - when asked for it by one of the policemen.

Unluckily for Morley, one of the police officers recognised him and asked why it was different to the one published in the match program for the Great Britain v Australia third Ashes Test the previous week.

Cops - They've got the best sense of humour.

I remember when I was young one of my mates crashed a car, p.ssed on his L's and left the scene. Next morning we all went back and the cops were there already. When they asked who's car it was my mate said it was his and when the cop asked him his name my mate stammered .....

".....err Grant (his real name)..... err.....Grant Smith."

To which the cop replied:

"Sure it is.... I meet your brother John - every day."

The fact that we all just cracked up probably didn't help my mates cause too much - he got 2 yrs disq.

this has to go in the annals of the greatest stories - mate - fantastic post..still laughing - and I don't do much of that lately...

ozzie

Bench
Underdog said:
I'm not sure of the laws in England said:
People do.... that's supposed to be part of the deterant!

sorry this doesn't make sense to me - your saying that in Australia you lose your job for DUI?? well that is wrorng - i have been DUI myself - went .055. which equated to about half a middy..

but irrespective of the reading - I got a warning from the judge - but i still have my job - i know at leat two or three other people in my branch of the PS who have had their licences revoked - but they are still working!!

so sorry what are you trying to say.

I understand it if you are a cab driver - but not the normal joe on the streets!!

ozzie

Bench
fibro man said:
I still disagree.

People that are in ' the spotlight ' must be very careful about what they do and don't do whilst ' out on the town ', but that is to save embarassment to them, personally.

If a sales rep or tradesman that is employed by a company does something like Morley did, they don't get an additional fine and suspension imposed upon them. If holding a drivers license is essential for their employment, they run the risk of losing their job, but since when is it essential for a rugby league player to hold a drivers license as part of their employment.

As far as I'm concerned, imposing additional fines and suspensions, is just a publicity stunt by the rugby league as a token way of trying to show the general public how responsible their organisation is. Like I said before, what the Court gives him should be sufficient. There shouldn't be any double dipping.

Can someone explain how the incident cost the RFL a million pounds?

I'm with you on this one fibro man - sure he did the crime and has paid for it in a civil court - could the punative action proposed by the ERL be considered a double punishment and be challenged...??

I'd think that they may then find themselves in trouble if they did!!

The Backpacker

Juniors
From what Yakstorm has written, it appears he signed a contract allowing for this happen and was still under contract on Dec 13th. However, I've been informed that the contract involved agreeing not to talk on mobiles while driving etc and that one GB player was actually caught doing this before the test series but this didn't affect him playing. Anyway, thats beside the point.

Fibro, it hasn't cost them millions - if they lose their sponsorship because of this, then it would. However, I'm not sure how long the initial sponsorship was for and, if it was coming to end anyway, I wouldn't be surprised to see Morley as the scapegoat for them not renewing it.

ozzie

Bench
The Backpacker said:
From what Yakstorm has written, it appears he signed a contract allowing for this happen and was still under contract on Dec 13th. However, I've been informed that the contract involved agreeing not to talk on mobiles while driving etc and that one GB player was actually caught doing this before the test series but this didn't affect him playing. Anyway, thats beside the point.

Fibro, it hasn't cost them millions - if they lose their sponsorship because of this, then it would. However, I'm not sure how long the initial sponsorship was for and, if it was coming to end anyway, I wouldn't be surprised to see Morley as the scapegoat for them not renewing it.

way off track - but i just read your signature - still laughing - an in joke of course....what colour do you think she will go??

...Morticia...

Juniors
considering im not allowed on here without parental surpevision i cant make the appropraite response but just lettin u know matthew will be feelin a little under the weather for the next year or more. he never learns.

Grantwhy

Juniors
ozzie said:
Underdog said:
I'm not sure of the laws in England, but do you lose your job as well if you drink drive?

People do.... that's supposed to be part of the deterant!

sorry this doesn't make sense to me - your saying that in Australia you lose your job for DUI?? well that is wrorng - i have been DUI myself - went .055. which equated to about half a middy..

but irrespective of the reading - I got a warning from the judge - but i still have my job - i know at leat two or three other people in my branch of the PS who have had their licences revoked - but they are still working!!

so sorry what are you trying to say.

I understand it if you are a cab driver - but not the normal joe on the streets!!

The thing is, such a penalty was in the contract Morley had signed with the English Rugby League and the (reported) facts that Morley tried to run from the cops and tried to give a false name suggests Morley knew he would be in breach of that contract.

Off topic:

Thank you to all those who have participated in this discussion. It's refreshing as a Rooster Supporter to be able to debate an issue like this in an intelligent and reasonable manner, with Supporters of other Clubs.

Grant, I agree that Morley [according to reports] was well aware of what he was doing. If he is banned from playing international games, so be it. It would be a shame though if he, unlike Joe Citizen, is unable to persue his career if his employers are prepared to give him another chance. And hopefully, address what ever propensity he has to act in this manner while he's in the UK.

Arguably, Morley is an elite Second Rower and to lose a player from the NRL over a civil matter [of this nature] doesn't seem reasonable.

Grantwhy

Juniors
Penelope Pittstop said:
Arguably, Morley is an elite Second Rower and to lose a player from the NRL over a civil matter [of this nature] doesn't seem reasonable.

Morley breached his contract with the English Rugby League and the penalty would be for that. If the penalty wasn't written in the contract and they still had the same main sponsor, English Rugby League would not be in the position of having to ban Morley.

Thus we can blame two things

1) the contract for having the clause

and

2) Morley for being silly enought to drive while over the infulence

The Colonel

Immortal
Chev Walker (not sure if this is one of the players you are talking about) had returned to training with the Leeds Rhinos around Dec 16th. He is still serving home detention. So I don't think he has been banned though he was imprisoned for a while so maybe the consider that as part of his banning anyways.
Ryan Bailey spent two months in the Young Offenders Institute as well but appears to have been able to return to Leeds as well with no other suspension.

It does seem a bit hypocritical however.

Grantwhy

Juniors
Penelope Pittstop said:
Does anyone know if those Leeds players who went to jail for assault were also banned from playing world wide?

As far as I know, no they didn't. But they probably didn't breach a clause in their contracts allowing them to suffer such a ban either. Maybe if it they committed the assault while under a a contract direct with the English Rugby League (like Morley was) they would of been.

Morley's problem comes from not what he did compared to others, but the fact that he breached clauses in his contract.

Fibroman

First Grade
If I contract someone to do something for me, and they stuff it up, and breach the terms of the contract, it's still up to me if I want to give them another chance or apply the conditions/penalties listed in the contract. My understanding is that a contract is like a ' safety net '. It is there for protection. It doesn't necessarily have to be rigidly enforced.

I remember Craig Gower removing a " get out " clause from his contract with Penrith last year. Obviously that contract was flexible enough to be changed mid-stream.

I would think that the English Rugby League would still have the option whether or not to enforce the full terms of any contracts they have with the players. I could be wrong and will stand corrected.

Grantwhy

Juniors
At the moment Morley hasn't been punished yet so he may get off lightly (the 6 months is the Maximum, i haven't heard if there is a minimum yet).

What might count against Morley is that he was well over the limit, tried to run from the police and tried to give a false name.

But we will all have to wait and see just what(if any) suspension the English Rugby League hand down.