What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

More Nepotism

PJ

First Grade
I was speaking with a couple of people over the weekend. One of whom's son has now gone to play with another club as, despite being a rep player in his position, was overlooked for the Sharks as the player in his position has "connections" at a high level.

Second case was with a large contract for some upgrades that have been done at the club. The guy has been a long term significant sponsor and was not even asked to bid. Surely if someone has put their money up year after year as a sponsor, and he wasn't just a minor one but also not a major one either, the club could have given them an opportunity.

Needless to say he isn't renewing and, after a very long association with the club has wiped his hands of the place.

Isn't in common sense, and decency, when you have work to be done to look to your sponsors first and let them all have a go. THis bloke would have been fine if he had lost the business, he just feels slighted he wasn't even asked.

Special K

Coach
PJ said:
I was speaking with a couple of people over the weekend. One of whom's son has now gone to play with another club as, despite being a rep player in his position, was overlooked for the Sharks as the player in his position has "connections" at a high level.
Welcome to rugby league.... Happens at every club, every year.

PJ

First Grade
That one was disapointing K and I know it goes on everywhere, and I probably wouldn't have bothered posting it, but the 2nd point was what really gave me the sh!ts.

Frenzy.

Immortal
The second one is just another example of the usual disgraceful treatment of people by the club.

The first is probably subjective. Burgess has already said the reason they went looking for players in NZ is because the junior rep teams didn't perform and had no standout players, so why reward them.

PJ

First Grade
I agree Frenzy about the first one being subjective, but his position wasn't taken by a Junior Kiwi. I'll let you know if either kick on.

Frenzy.

Immortal
PJ said:
I agree Frenzy about the first one being subjective, but his position wasn't taken by a Junior Kiwi. I'll let you know if either kick on.

Did he "own" a position :lol:

I've seen the team list for Flegg and reckon I could figure out who the thief is anyway.

PJ

First Grade
Wrong word sorry, the position.

I'm also not sure that it is Flegg, could be a lower age grade.

beekershark

Bench
I agree that the first point of call should always be sponsors for any contracts/work, expenditure that the club is making.

I agree that sponsors don't have a mortgage on the work, but they should have first chance to quote and seek the work. Obviously it is hard when TWO or more sponsors are all in the same industry and the club cannot choose one over the other as that would of course have equally bad consequences.

I know of a few building companies who sponsor the club mate, maybe the reason the club didnt approach your mate is that they didnt approach ANY of the sponsors who could do the job and had to go outside the club altogether so as not to show favorites ?

PJ

First Grade
With all respect Beeker that is BS.

All business people know that they won't get every job they quote on, and don't expect to, but if it was properly managed with feedback I know these guys in particular would have been OK if they had missed out to someone else particularly if it was another sponsor.

beekershark

Bench
BS right back at ya PJ.

These blokes may be different, but the majority of sponsors would question the marketting team if they gave a contract in their chosen industry to aanother sponsor in the same industry.

It leaves a marketting team that already has a dubious reputation in an open position for questions to be asked, and I'm just suggesting that may the reason for not signing a sponsor to do the work.

PJ

First Grade
So you seriously reckon that it is better off to upset all the sponsors who could have done the work, at the risk of having one happy and the others possibly upset.

Sorry but I just can't fathom the logic there. Every businessman loses contracts and tenders, sometimes they get upset, other times they learn from them. But what is the worst is when you don't even get invited to participate, despite handing over your money to the club over a long length of time. If the club was that worried about upseting people put out a proper request, with a stipulation that any unsuccesful tenderer can have a feedback session and where the final price will be made available to those persons who missed out. Happens all the time in our industry, particularly with Government tenders, and the feedback process is very helpful.

Furthermore I don't know that it wasn't another sponsor that got the business. When I run into him again I'll ask.

Either way this one now former sponsor would have been OK with losing it, he is not OK with not being considered and as such is no longer a sponsor. If your reasoning is correct, and again I can't agree with the logic, then it has failed as they are a sponsor down.

Shark I don't know if it went out to tender or not. All I know is that these guys weren't even asked to quote. The club has their contact details whenever the time comes around to ask for money, so it wouldn't have been too hard to notify them about the work.

PJ

First Grade
I don't know Carch, all I know is he was a very loyal Sharks fan but has wiped his hands of the place, at least as a sponsor and the other stuff he did for the club.

samshark

Juniors
Stop bashing the club. It just gets tiresome after a while.

Cant we focus on something positive. And dont say there is nothing positive.

PJ, I sympathise with you if he is a friend or colleague of yours and understand that he would be pissed off but the two things you said happen every year at every club.

So whats the point of posting it. Just to bash the club some more. Havent we had enough this year. Isnt this the team you support?

Shark

Bench
samshark said:
Stop bashing the club. It just gets tiresome after a while.

Cant we focus on something positive. And dont say there is nothing positive.

PJ, I sympathise with you if he is a friend or colleague of yours and understand that he would be pissed off but the two things you said happen every year at every club.

So whats the point of posting it. Just to bash the club some more. Havent we had enough this year. Isnt this the team you support?

Sam, what gets tiresome is our Board and senior management continually treating stakeholders of the club with disrespect and contempt.

We're all stakeholders. You, me, the high level sponsors, the middle level sponsors, and the sole trader who stretches the budget just that little bit extra so he can call himself a sponsor of the club.

And the elected representatives who head up our organisation are asleep at the wheel.

THAT is tiresome.

PJ

First Grade
I support the team Sam, I do not support the management and incidents like this are the reason why.

Over the last few years we have had controversy after controversy and despite changes to players, support staff and coaches things really aren't improving.

Until we have a strong management team we will not challenge the top clubs. Simple as that.

Shark

Bench
PJ said:
Shark I don't know if it went out to tender or not. All I know is that these guys weren't even asked to quote. The club has their contact details whenever the time comes around to ask for money, so it wouldn't have been too hard to notify them about the work.

If it didn't go out to tender then we have yet another example of incompetent management and poor (almost unethical) corporate governance.

If, on the other hand, they DID appropriately advertise a tender, then they shouldn't really go around ringing up or writing to specific people to 'ask' them to apply though. Kinda leaves the door open for a whole bunch of corruption allegations. No harm in getting the grapevine to do the work for you though...

samshark

Juniors
PJ said:
I support the team Sam, I do not support the management and incidents like this are the reason why.

Over the last few years we have had controversy after controversy and despite changes to players, support staff and coaches things really aren't improving.

Until we have a strong management team we will not challenge the top clubs. Simple as that.

I know I know. What you say is exactly true and your words are just about the same as what I say to people.

HOWEVER, in spite of all the negatives surrounding management I am trying to remain positive and not bash the club at every opportunity. It wont hurt for us all to do this.

PJ

First Grade
It wont hurt for us all to do this

Actually Sam I think it has already hurt us a great deal by not being more vocal about the management of the club. For example it ahs always been hard to get real change on the board but from what I have read on recent changes it is now getting close to impossible. The way the redevelopment has been handled is another example of lack of action on the part of the members and then the board has hurt us.

If, on the other hand, they DID appropriately advertise a tender, then they shouldn't really go around ringing up or writing to specific people to 'ask' them to apply though. Kinda leaves the door open for a whole bunch of corruption allegations. No harm in getting the grapevine to do the work for you though...

Shark in our industry it is extremely common for suppliers to be pre-notified of tenders or even just the simple expression of interest prior to a tender. I recieved another of these just the other day.

Latest posts