What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Morely to Bradford

MightySharks

Bench
It embarrising for the ESL having players come in for the finals, its cheating and not fair to the players that have done the work all year for thier team.

Mr Saab

Referee
If Johns can do it then why cant other player do it.
Sterlo said some weeks back that it should be a one off for Johns and thats it
Then Sterlo says last night it should be for Johns and Morley and thats it....

Sterlo is a goose. You either allow players to do it, and make contract negotiations even more difficult during the season, as well as potentially losing more players to ESL if they enjoy their time over there, or you just say it isn't permitted by anybody.

It does make ESL look bad, but potentially this could get out of hand and next year you could see English clubs chasing internationals who aren't playing in the finals, and boosting their own sides in a quest for a premiership.

I know this has been talked about over and over again with Johns, but the fact that more people are doing it now is beyond a joke. Make a decision, you either let people do it, or you don't let anybody, none of this in between.

thuganomics

Coach
Sterlo said that he hoped Johns would be the only person to do it, then last night he said that he hopes that Morley is the last player to play over there in the finals.

Tommy Smith

Referee
It's upto the clubs so i dont see it as a big deal. If the club lets them then so what?

Personally i think its a good move by Roosters management as it will allow Morley to make some decent money outside of what we are paying him which will ease the fact that we are paying him less than what he could earn back in the uK (which is the same for nearly everyone btw, only that Moz is an Englishmen).

BlueNGoldBlood

Juniors
Alot of players last year complained how long the season is so what do they do ?
they go to the ESL and play even more games..

MightySharks said:
It embarrising for the ESL having players come in for the finals, its cheating and not fair to the players that have done the work all year for thier team.
Correct.

MightySharks

Bench
I don't like it, how would an Aussie club feel if a English star came out to help a NRL team in the finals? You have to play the majority of the year or it is down right cheating!

Mr Saab

Referee
thuganomics said:
Sterlo said that he hoped Johns would be the only person to do it, then last night he said that he hopes that Morley is the last player to play over there in the finals.

and next week he will say he hopes Johns, Morley, and Gower (just a guess) are the last to do it..then next yr he will say its a great idea as all league players should experience an english GF. :roll:

PARRA_FAN

Coach
They shouldnt allow this anymore, if they want to keep themselves fit before the Tri Nations then they should be training. If theyre not in the finals, bad luck.

Thats why that have a Training squad for teams not in the finals, then teams who get knocked out of the finals.

SpaceMonkey

Immortal
PARRA_FAN said:
They shouldnt allow this anymore, if they want to keep themselves fit before the Tri Nations then they should be training. If theyre not in the finals, bad luck.

Thats why that have a Training squad for teams not in the finals, then teams who get knocked out of the finals.

Faumuina's already ruled himself out of the tri-nations making various half-arsed excuses. I wish he'd just admit that he wants the $$.

legend

Coach
Short lived experiment IMO as once a high profile star is hurt o/s and is ruled out of the NRL for the following season, the clubs will have it written into the contract that a player cannot play for another club whilst under contract at their current club. A restraint of trade, maybe, but how many employers allow their employees to work for another compnay for a couple of months every year?

didn't the ESL change the rules there on this issue for next season? that should stop the post-season loans from then on.

Big Bunny

Juniors
MightySharks said:
I don't like it, how would an Aussie club feel if a English star came out to help a NRL team in the finals? You have to play the majority of the year or it is down right cheating!

I don't like it much but you can hardly call it cheating. Yes it robs players who have worked all year only to be replaced by a gun, but this is a pro comp, it's up to them to show that their place is deserved. Every club is allowed to sign players like this, so its not like the other clubs are disadvantaged as long as it fits the salary cap. It's only players who lose out, those who can't compete with the quality replacing them. Saying a player has no right to sign a short term deal is as silly as to knock back signing a bloke mid season from the Jim Beam Cup or CRL.

Sterlo was a great player but he sure does talk a lot of crap. I don't recall him knocking back his two short stints with Hull during the 80's. These days it's not worth listening to what he says. He's a pretentious prick who seems to enjoy ridiculing people and big noting himself as much as his mentor Fatty does.