What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Morely to Bradford

OVP

Coach
Tommy Smith said:
It's upto the clubs so i dont see it as a big deal. If the club lets them then so what?

Personally i think its a good move by Roosters management as it will allow Morley to make some decent money outside of what we are paying him which will ease the fact that we are paying him less than what he could earn back in the uK (which is the same for nearly everyone btw, only that Moz is an Englishmen).

Wouldnt he be taxed double ? First by the English govt and then by the Aussie govt on his return. Or is this illegal ?

Razor

Coach
OVP said:
Wouldnt he be taxed double ? First by the English govt and then by the Aussie govt on his return. Or is this illegal ?

He'll only be taxed by the English Government. The Australian Government cannot tax him.

Eels Dude

Coach
I don't agree with Johns being allowed to go, but if he is than any other player should be allowed also. I don't understand Sterlo's logic, he shouldn't be saying he welcomes both Johns and Morely to do it, but also say he hopes they're the last? If he's going to approve of Johns going overseas, he should be doing the same for any other player, what is fair for one is fair for all. Everyone knows that once Johns was allowed it might open a can of worms, so there is no use of a change of tune now.

Iafeta

Referee
Just a question; in soccer when in a similar situation happens a club gets paid a loan fee, or pays a high percentage of the players wage.

Does the clubs releasing their players whom are still under contract; Newcastle, Roosters and Warriors get any monies for allowing their employees to work elsewhere?

bartman

Immortal
This used to happen heaps when the seasons were played at different times of the year.

Now there's just a month overlap, and some smart player manager has seen a chance for Joey to make some extra money, and everyone's trying to get in the act before they change the old rules.

I'd like to think they will change the rules for next year, to at least make sure it doesn't conflict with international football, but given the publicity and interest it generates, maybe they won't? As someone said, all it takes is one long-term injury and a players primary club will rethink the whole thing.

Rumour that Karl Temata will be doing the same thing for London Broncos. I don't know if the original clubs benefit from these arrangements, but I'd imagine they would be silly not to make some payment or percentage part of the permissions.

Bullseye

Juniors
I'm not in favour of this sort of thing. At Bradford the last thing we need is somebody coming in on big money and taking the place of a player who's put the effort in all year. It's hardly going to work wonders for team spirit.

We are in the process of losing 5 players this season so I reckon our board think signing Morley on a short term contract will attract attention away from the bad news. Great work I don't think!

Latest posts