What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Morley to swap for Fielden???

jed

First Grade
from http://foxsports.news.com.au/story/0,8659,17732772-23214,00.html

Morley linked to UK swap deal
By Glenn Jackson
January 5, 2006

SYDNEY Roosters hardman Adrian Morley could be involved in a sensational swap with another British player after the 2006 NRL season.

According to reports from England, Morley could move back to the English Super League and team up with champion Bradford.

Coming in the other direction is said to be Great Britain international prop forward Stuart Fielden.

England's League Weekly said a source close to Morley revealed over Christmas that he couldn't see his body taking three more years of the high-impact NRL, and his dream move would see a return to Odsal, where he had such a successful stint before the 2005 Tri-Nations tournament.

Morley now has Australian citizenship and would be free to return Down Under after a final stint in British rugby league while Fielden has made no secret of his desire to try his hand in the NRL.

Morley is off contract with the Roosters at the end of 2006.

But Roosters chief executive Brian Canavan said last night he wanted to extend the enforcer's stay.

"We want to open negotiations early this year," he said. "We've always presented it that we want to extend his contract."

The Daily Telegraph

ParraDude_Jay

First Grade
Bradford are crazy if they do it. Fielden is the best prop in the world, Morley's good but he's no Fielden.

jed

First Grade
But if Bradford says no, Fielden can just leave at the end of his contract and they've got nothing. At least if they allow a transfer, they can secure the services of an adequate replacement.

bartman

Immortal
League Weekly is notorious for reporting rumours from sources that don't always come through... Morley is off contract though and I believe he will return to play in England.

There's always been talk of Fielden heading to Australia but he always signs contract extensions, so I won't believe it until I see it. But with Tri-Nations and World Cup to be held in the southern hemisphere over the next few years, there's more incentive for him to make the move now then before...

jed

First Grade
Fielden's still signed until the end of 2007, so he'll need to be released by the Bulls if he's to play in the NRL next season. A swap to be signed pre-June 30 is the only way I can see that happening.