What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Mortimer's a son of a gun … just in a different jumper

Hellsy

Immortal
PETER Mortimer melted with happiness for his son Daniel as the siren sounded. He stood proudly in the stands and could not take his eyes off his son, who elatedly danced around on the field.
''It's a dream and it's going to come to life,'' Mortimer said. He then swept his wife Julie into his arms and kissed her. Julie's eyes filled with tears. ''I'm so, so proud,'' she said. ''He's done all this, in just a year, it's a bit unreal.''
Once Mortimer's heart was all blue and white. He bled for the Canterbury jersey in grand finals. Yet nothing can sway his heart when Daniel plays. Now, just as he did as a footballer all those years ago, his 20-year-old boy will try to win a premiership.
Daniel's remarkable ascent through the rugby league ranks still thrills his dad. He spoke with immense pride of his son's achievements.
''At the start of the year he was hoping to make the squad of 25, '' Mortimer said. ''And now he's going to play in a grand final. Right here.''
He paused for just a moment.
''It's amazing.''
In doubt all week, Daniel Mortimer was solid and agile. He wasn't nervous and neither was his father. All the game tension was taken out on his Big League, which Peter proceeded to roll up and out, over and over throughout the game.
He jumped out of his seat whenever Daniel had his hands on the ball. But he was never flustered.
The highest Mortimer moment in the game, when his parents erupted with joy, was when Daniel crossed for a try late in the game to help seal the win for Parramatta. ''Beautiful,'' Peter said, after punching the air. He kissed Julie on the cheek in celebration. Around him Parramatta fans shook his hand.
On the ANZ Stadium turf Daniel skipped and hugged his way around his teammates in celebration of the 73rd-minute try that sealed their grand final berth.
''Really he's been probing away all night for an opportunity like that,'' Peter said. ''Everything he's been doing, just by backing up. It was great.''
Julie who watched her husband play in grand finals, now has a son on this joyous ride and will enjoy watching the grand final with her family.
''I've come through as a footballing wife,'' Julie said. ''So I'm pretty cool. I don't get too nervous. I more enjoying it these days because I have Peter by my side and my boys. I love that.''
In the stands joining Julie and Peter were their other sons Michael, 26, James, 25, Tim, 23 and Rob, 16.
Peter Mortimer started his night out on the turf that would be his son's playground for the evening when he was presented with other members of the 1984 and 1986 grand final teams. Before kick-off he formed a guard of honour for the team and felt the rush as the crowd went ballistic.
''Very retro,'' Mortimer observed of crowd.
He may hope that his son's journey is ''very retro'' too next week. That Daniel gets to experience the thrill of a premiership like he has.
Jessica Halloran
http://www.smh.com.au/news/lhqnews/...ifferent-jumper/2009/09/25/1253813618082.html

Couldn't see this one posted, sorry if I missed it.

Was just reading it online and this is the first story that brought a tear to me eye. What a great family :D :D

mickdo

Coach
Damn, I've gotta stop tearing up... how the hell am I going to make it to Sunday! :lol:

GRAND FINAL!!!

Hellsy

Immortal
Reading that was the first time I did actually shed a tear. I teared up last night, but that story had a fw rolling down the cheeks :cry: :D :D :D

Latest posts