What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Most controversial selections in history

PARRA_FAN

Coach
On the topic of picking Australia and Origin sides, there has been has some selection blunders in the past and some harsh one's. They can go back as far Len Smith who was left out of the Australian team in 1972.

2003, Luke Lewis: 21-year old a star winger/centre destined to play for the Kangaroos after winning premiership, injury to Michael De Vere wouldve been the chance, but was overlooked by 34-year old Darren Smith. Worst one Ive ever seen.

What are some others anyone can think of?

Brett Finch in last years state of origin, was a deadset joke and showed the roosters having to much influence with gus at the helm.

Should have been orford for sure.

Prodigiousman

Juniors
Michael Vella staying in the Aust-NSW squads for a few years after having one ok season in 99 and somehow staying the selectors favourite. Might be the nicest bloke in history but as ineffective a footballer as I've seen since Albert Ful'a'vai on the end of the awesome Raiders backline of the 90s.

What was most annoying was he kept proving ineffective yet kept getting picked. The guy has the odd good run but considering the crop of props he kept out of representative sides, his continued selection was slightly slightly controversial.

Razor

Coach
Brett Finch in last years state of origin, was a deadset joke and showed the roosters having to much influence with gus at the helm.

Orford was injured for that much. He was the first replacement chosen when the first choice was injured, but was unavailable himself.

Prodigiousman

Juniors
Knight82 said:

Mate Orford wasn't fit enough to play in that game, that's why Finch got the call up. The Roosters had the bye and he was in very good (if not Orfordesque) form, he had a great 1st half in that game then was very quiet in the 2nd half.

Although given the Rooster bashing that occurs on a yearly basis since they won the comp in 2002, I can understand how it was viewed as such a contencious selection.

PARRA_FAN

Coach
2001 State Of Origin, New South Wales.

Mark Hughes over Brett Hodgson, not being biased or anything but I though Hodgo's form was way better than Hughes. Hughes was just a part time fullback that looked safe. Hodgson carved Wests up at Leichhardt and it looked certain he was gonna get picked with Peachey injured.

Now Hodgson is playing well for the Tigers and Hughes I last recall was dropped to PL.

Prodigiousman

Juniors
Hughes has been injured since Rd 1. Don't be surprised to see him back in 1st grade in the centres at poor Georgey Carmont's expense and Dustin Cooper stays at fullback.

slava

Juniors
Rhys Whesser last year origin. Karmichael was awesome at the time. should've been in. QLD would've won then.

Mr Saab

Referee
gregstar said:
tonie carroll caused widespread controversy because of his nz background & who the coach was / is

TC was a worthy selection and played great on tour

slava said:
Rhys Whesser last year origin. Karmichael was awesome at the time. should've been in. QLD would've won then.

LOL

You sir are a idiot.

Mr Mike Hunt is overated. and is a walking turnstile

Razor said:

Orford was injured for that much. He was the first replacement chosen when the first choice was injured, but was unavailable himself.

I apologise your 100% correct.

Josh Perry when he played origin then, his a knight but he is worse then useless!

Razor said:

I apologise your 100% correct.

Josh Perry when he played origin then, his a knight but he is worse then useless!

Mr Saab

Referee
slava said:

you talk crap sometimes (make that ALLLLLLLLLLL the time)
Wesser was worthy of selection in 2004. Didnt play out of his skin, but he was not the reason QLD lost.
Hunt is still 2 yrs away from being ready....he might get there this yr, but SLater has left him way behind thus far

Mr Saab

Referee
As for the Finch controversy here is how it went

Gower injured game one
Kimmorley tears hamstring at SOO training
Barrett called up...he turns it down as he is not fit enuf. Hamstring probs i believe.
Orford called up....he turns it down as he has calf problems.

Finch is then selected.