What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Most controversial selections in history

I had a go at him in the George Carmont topic so left him alone this time he's probably about 10 the way he acts and use's baby words, so we cant expect much.

And Hunt will get his go one day as his very talented but still behind about 4 others at the moment.

doogiehowser_md

Juniors
Hunt will never get a go. Slater is streets ahead of him same as Bowen and theyre not old so I see no room for Karmichael, he shouldve taken the chance and played for NZ, now he's gonna play for no one and look like a complete toss pot while Sonny Bill and Benjii have a chuckle between themselves

Charlie Saab said:
As for the Finch controversy here is how it went

Gower injured game one
Kimmorley tears hamstring at SOO training
Barrett called up...he turns it down as he is not fit enuf. Hamstring probs i believe.
Orford called up....he turns it down as he has calf problems.

Finch is then selected.

My apologies, corrected myself in my above msg.

PARRA_FAN

Coach
But after that 2nd game, Orford shouldve got picked ahead of Barrett who was a 5/8 playing halfback in that 3rd game.

Also Scott Hill never got a mention after that brilliant performance in the city/country game, how Timmins was 5/8 ahead of him I will never know. :roll:

Mr Saab

Referee
its callled phil gould BLANTANT bias...and that the city country game in all honesty mean F All

Azkatro

First Grade
Anyone remember Willie Talau getting picked at five-eighth for the Kiwis? Was that in 2003?

Orford not going overseas last year would be considered a blunder. While Australia still succeeded imagine how good a player he would be now had he been given some representative experience.

McGuinness in the Origin a few years back. Sat on the bench for 80 minutes. Why pick him and not play him?

Blacklock's non-selection for NSW a number of times. I'm not a massive fan but he certainly deserved selection on a few occasions.

Allan Langer in 1987 over Laurie Spina. That was a stunner at the time.

John Buttigieg in 2002 was it? He played well but everyone was writing him off when he was selected.

PARRA_FAN

Coach
Oh yeah and also Ben Hornby was selected for NSW, who didn't play in the City/Country match. Honestly if they were picking a fullback besides Minichello, it'd be Hodgson cause he did quite in that City/Country game.

As you said Charlie Saab just goes to show the City/Country means F all. Which is a shame, cause it really means ORIGIN trial.

Mr Saab

Referee
Azkatro said:
Anyone remember Willie Talau getting picked at five-eighth for the Kiwis? Was that in 2003?

Orford not going overseas last year would be considered a blunder. While Australia still succeeded imagine how good a player he would be now had he been given some representative experience.

McGuinness in the Origin a few years back. Sat on the bench for 80 minutes. Why pick him and not play him?

Blacklock's non-selection for NSW a number of times. I'm not a massive fan but he certainly deserved selection on a few occasions.

Allan Langer in 1987 over Laurie Spina. That was a stunner at the time.

John Buttigieg in 2002 was it? He played well but everyone was writing him off when he was selected.

Talau, NZ had no 5/8s...It was 2003 and the Kiwis were hammered
Orford should have gone on tour 2004, but Kimmorley played well
Ken McGuiness was chosen game 1 1998 and didnt play all game. He was only selected because Tommy Raudonikis was coach. He was WAAAAY out of his depth with the player talent surrounding him and opposing him.
Blacklock...slighty controversial, but i dont think he deserved it. Could score tries, but little else
Langer in 1987 was HUGE
Buttigig in 2001 was a shock, but he rewarded the QLDrs with a great performance.

The Colonel

Immortal
Brett Kenny and Peter Sterling being picked ahead of Steve Mortimer and Wally Lewis for the first Test v England. Was a shock but given the results.....

Manly Lad

Juniors
Phil Bailey. Had about two decent club games before selection in 03 (??).

Also anytime Daniel Wagon gets picked for Queensland.

david peachey totally overlooked for nsw in 1999
even though he was the form fullback of the comp in the form team of the comp at the time the teams were picked.
robbie ross got his spot

slava

Juniors
Charlie Saab said:
slava said:
Rhys Whesser last year origin. Karmichael was awesome at the time. should've been in. QLD would've won then.

Wesser was worthy of selection in 2004. Didnt play out of his skin, but he was not the reason QLD lost.

YES HE WAS! if picked up that kick (which should not have been that hard!) Tahu would not have scored!

Godz Illa

Coach
Mundine, Peachey, Blacklock snubbed for the 1999 Tri Nations. Leaving out 1 was arguable, 2 was disgraceful, all 3 - a crime.

slava said:
Charlie Saab said:
slava said:
Rhys Whesser last year origin. Karmichael was awesome at the time. should've been in. QLD would've won then.

Wesser was worthy of selection in 2004. Didnt play out of his skin, but he was not the reason QLD lost.

YES HE WAS! if picked up that kick (which should not have been that hard!) Tahu would not have scored!

Everyone drops a ball once in a while it doesnt matter how good you are.

Mr Saab

Referee
slava said:
Charlie Saab said:
slava said:

slava, go watch the rug rats...you are annoying and you speak BS

Raider_69

Post Whore
Deary me, no one has mentioned the worst ommision from a rep team ever

Jason Croker's ommision from the 94 Kangaroo Tour
how on earth he didnt make that tour is still beyond me #-o