What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Most hyped youngster that went nowhere?

Homo man69

Juniors
Corey Allen
William Hopoate
Leon Bott
I remember watching a certain player in the Newcastle junior comp coming through there rep system. He was phenomenal and the best junior player I've ever seen in my life. I spend most weekends watching the junior grades in different regions of Sydney and no one comes close. He would score tries from his own half on a regular basis. He had speed, strength and that natural footballer instinct. I remember thinking how this kid's going to be the greatest rugby league player of all time. I remember a young Andrew John's coming to watch a match and the kid did his usual thing by chipping over the top regathering and stepping past 3 players to score . I looked over at John's and his jaw had hit the floor. I'm not sure what went wrong but if he just played to 1/5th of that ability in first grade. He still would of been a origin/country player. I'm sure you all know who I'm talking about but to make it fun. I'll give the first correct answer a VB bottle cap

moffla

Bench
There was a young lad, maybe late 2000's on storms books that was an absolute weapon. I believe we took him after a few misdemeanours at another club, and then we couldn't pull him into line. Don't believe he went on to play a single game of NRL, but this kid was special talent wise.

Can't for the life of me remember his name, funnily enough. Will try to find.

Edit: Atana Taumata. He did play 14 NRL games for 3 different club - my bad. Wasted chance upon chance!

From his wiki:

Taumata finished his NRL careers as one of the least successful players in the history of the game. Taumata collected the wooden spoon with Canterbury in 2008 and ran second last with both the Cowboys and Penrith in 2010 and 2012 respectively.

Last edited:

Munky

Coach
Back in the mid 00s I used to hype up a bloke who played wing in Jersey Flegg/Reserve Grade for Penrith.

Ran harder than anyone I've seen, every hit up at full speed straight into the line. In a two on one situation in defence would just line up and murder the centre who held up and passed.

Also went off concussed a few times.

Googled him a year or so ago and this is what he got up to after those years:

Vic Mackey

Referee
There was a young lad, maybe late 2000's on storms books that was an absolute weapon. I believe we took him after a few misdemeanours at another club, and then we couldn't pull him into line. Don't believe he went on to play a single game of NRL, but this kid was special talent wise.

Can't for the life of me remember his name, funnily enough. Will try to find.

Edit: Atana Taumata. He did play 14 NRL games for 3 different club - my bad. Wasted chance upon chance!

From his wiki:

Taumata finished his NRL careers as one of the least successful players in the history of the game. Taumata collected the wooden spoon with Canterbury in 2008 and ran second last with both the Cowboys and Penrith in 2010 and 2012 respectively.
From memory he went from dogs to storm to us to NQ in the space of about 18 months. Sacked everytime. He made a comeback in nsw cup about 4 or 5 years ago for a sydney club, can’t remember who.

When he was with us Robbie Farah said he had the best running game he’d ever seen. Talent was there, just one of the loosest cannons off the field.

yobbo84

First Grade
Richie Williams was the best junior I've ever seen play in the lower grades for Souths. Shame he was a massive tool bag.

Scott

Bench
From memory he went from dogs to storm to us to NQ in the space of about 18 months. Sacked everytime. He made a comeback in nsw cup about 4 or 5 years ago for a sydney club, can’t remember who.

When he was with us Robbie Farah said he had the best running game he’d ever seen. Talent was there, just one of the loosest cannons off the field.
Arana Taumata

soc123_au

Staff member
I see someone beat me to Greg Waddel, so I'll chuck Jarrod Sammut and Harry Seijka into the mix.

Latest posts