What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Most improved players

God-King Dean

Immortal
Rank the top 5 most improved players in the NRL over the past 2 seasons

*Edit*

Now include your teams most improved players

Broncodroid

Juniors
So hard to give an accurate answer, I wil have first stab:

1 - Brett Finch (Sydney)
2 - Paul Rauhihi (NQ)
3 - Jason Cayless (Sydney)
4 - David Kidwell (Melbourne)
5 - Matt Cooper (St George)

Brett Finch has grown as a player under the coaching of Ricky Stuart though I will not harp on why I think he is going to turn out as a top half in this competition. Last season he was second to Danny Buderus in the Dally M vote and was the Roosters best in 2004 taking over alot of the kicking and playmaking duties.

Paul Rauhihi has gone from strength to strength in NQ and IMO this would have alot to do with Graham Murray who is one of the most underrated coaches in the NRL. Rauhihi was the Dally M prop of the year in 2004 and with O'Meley and Price, the most dominant prop in the NRL. To think Newcastle and Canterbury let him go...this season he made those decisions look rather lame.

Jason Cayless has all but removed himself from the shadow of brother Nathan the Eels captain. He was brilliant in the tri-series and was instrumental in the go-forward for Sydney. I remember him at Parramatta as a average to good player who took a back seat to Vella, Cayless and Hindmarsh...he is now a forward with a healthy amount of respect in the NRL.

If we are talking about improvers in the NRL, Kidwell is right up there and possibly higher for mine. He was awesome at times this season and played like he has a 'chip on his shoulder'. Probably the best season I have seen from Kidwell.

Matt Cooper is the best defensive centre in the NRL and has held his own in a brilliant at times backline for St George. 2004 saw him earn rep jersey's and most say he was unlucky not to start in alot more tests in the tri-series as IMO he is alot better than Berrigan as a centre.

There are my nominations for now. No doubt there will be posts where I go "crap, I forgot about him". You get that though.

Notable Mention(s):

Jamaal Lolesi IMO rates a mention as he was a so so player in Canberra who could sniff out a try. This season at Canterbury he more than held his own and played a key role in keeping Utai in premiere league. He is a good finisher and solid defender, he has improved over the last 2 seasons and Folkes recognised that when signing him at the end of 2003.

That will do me for now it's 1.32am. ;-)

aids

Bench
1. M. Bowen (NQ)
2. W. Tonga (Bulldogs)
3. K. Reynoldson (Melbourne/Newcastle)
4. S. Prince (Tigers)
5. N.Hindmarsh (Parra)

gregstar

Referee
willie tonga
can't think of his name - sharks forward? Nutley?
brent kite
shaun berrigan

Rambo

Juniors
Wade Mckinnon
Lincoln Withers
Willie Tonga
Mathew Head
Luke Patten

Players gone backwards?

Timana Tahu
Brent Tate
Nigel Vagana
Stacey Jones

simon says

First Grade
In order of improvement...

1....Tonga.....came out of Parra reserves and played for OZ!!!
2....Mckinnon....reserve garder at Souths to one of the best FB's in the comp.
3.....Head......reserve grader at Saints behind Firman,now a future rep player IMHO.
4......Jamall Lolesi.....bog ordianry at Raiders and stars instantly in Doggie backline,shockrd the hell out of me with his form.
5......Matt King.....who????this kid is an Eric Grothe clone,and where did he come from,Cronulla reserve grade.He will play reps very soon,Awesome player.

Raider_69

Post Whore
simon says said:
4......Jamall Lolesi.....bog ordianry at Raiders and stars instantly in Doggie backline,shockrd the hell out of me with his form.

didnt shock anyone at the raiders, he wasnt ordinary there either, in season 03 he was behind only Schif as our best back, he started to hit his straps and show his potential. Unfortunatly he signed with the dogs :cry:

I would say in no particular order

J.Lolesi
S.Prince
M.Bowen
P.Rauhihi
W.Tonga

RifRaf

Juniors
I don't classify Bowen as most improved I think he was playing at the same or similar level last year. Cowboys improved and his play was focussed on more..

borat

Bench
Brent Kite went from at the start of 04 to most Dragons supporters questioning why he was still at the club to Test and NSW rep. His turn around was unbeleivable.

Willie Tonga you could also say improved out of sight although you have to wonder if it was more to do with Brian Smith hoplding him back.

simon says

First Grade
Raider_69 said:
simon says said:

didnt shock anyone at the raiders, he wasnt ordinary there either, in season 03 he was behind only Schif as our best back, he started to hit his straps and show his potential. Unfortunatly he signed with the dogs :cry:

I would say in no particular order

J.Lolesi
S.Prince
M.Bowen
P.Rauhihi
W.Tonga

Well if it didnt shock you,why is he in your most improved list???Is it cos he was crap and did improve,or cos he ONCE played for the Raiders and you are that twisted you just wanted to see a bloke who ONCE played for the Raiders in a list.

Must have been hard for you to write a best of list without a Raider in it.

:lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: Owned .

Tupac Shakur

First Grade
no order

ben ross (panthers)
dean widders (eels)
shane rodney (panthers)
brent kite (dragons)
willie tonga (bulldogs)

Latest posts