What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Most underrated or unappreciated Parramatta players ever.

lingard

Coach
Over the years there have been a lot of Parra players who have been unduly criticised, bagged out, or just plain under appreciated by us fans. Who are your favourite 'under appreciated' Parra players ever?
I'd like to kick off with ……. Jeff Robson. He was often criticised as being slow, unimaginative, one-dimensional, and lacking a consistent kicking game. All of these things were, to some extent, true. But there was a lot of good about him, too. He was a great defender, one on one, and made many try-saving tackles as well as helping keep opposition forwards honest with his defence in and near the ruck, and cover defence out wide. Although his kicking game was erratic, he still set up his fair share of tries with kicks into the in-goal, and often got restarts through judicious kicks into the in-goal. He was never afraid to take the line on, and often showed strength and enough pace to get through the line and pass on to support players. He struck up a very good combination with Jarryd Hayne - with a lot of Hayne's magical runs coming off Jeff Robson passes. I believe he was a very steadying influence on Daniel Mortimer (who never again played as well as he did in the 2009 season). Robson, I think, mentored Mortimer, settled him down and allowed him to play his natural game of simply supporting and running. And, as dour as Robson was in his play, he got man of the match in (I think) the finals game against Canterbury, and led us to a grand final which we nearly won - against the storm. All in all, I reckon a very underrated player, and one of my favourite Eels ever.

Incorrect

Coach
Pebbles Laurie is one of my all time favourite Eels. Nothing flashy about him but he was as reliable as a Toyota Corolla. Never saw him play a bad game

strider

Post Whore
Yeah i was about to say Mark Laurie .... not underrated by parra fans, but should have got rep honours and was overlooked

Gronk

Staff member
Nathan Hindmarsh. Did not deserve the sledging that some “fans” gave him.

Avenger

Immortal
David Penna would have been our long term halfback when he came back from Souths had he not injured his neck and retired early. He had very good pace off the mark, was a good defender and his long kicking game improved greatly under Brian Smith.

hindy111

Post Whore
Nathan Hindmarsh. Did not deserve the sledging that some “fans” gave him.

Our best imo. Better then Hayne.
Except his last 18mths. He tried hard but it was a bit sad to watch. His hit ups where as soft as they come. Should of retired 2yrs earlier imo.

Stu Galbraith.

Halfback when we defeated Great Britain. Halfback when we beat the Broncos at the opening of ANZ. Halfback when we came from 0-20 down against Newcastle at half time.

Legend.

Latest posts