What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Motivation behind Storm legal action - SMH

RockWheel

Bench
so the storm were cheating right. but the other teams that played them in the grand finals werent.

So when manly beat the storm in the grand final they did it under the salary cap and beat a team that was way over. wow that makes them an incredibly extraordinary team then.

real david and goliath story there.

as if.

Enjoy that wooden spoon.

LESStar58

Referee
"As you know, but for the commencement and prosecution of the proceedings Melbourne Storm would have lost its coach, key players and broken the hearts of its supporters," Leon Zwier, a solicitor, wrote on behalf of the directors. "About 5000 supporters have signed a petition supporting our clients' actions. But for this proceeding, our clients believe that Melbourne Storm would have collapsed.

Sorry Leon but a lot of us are ALREADY heart broken. This is why I as a Storm supporter don't back the legal action of the 4 directors. It is not going to get the titles back. If they somehow win all that happens is the disiplinary process has to be reviewed but we'll still have the same result.

My biggest gripe is that this legal bullsh*t is going to end up hurting the supporters even more greatly...

Ulysseus

Bench
none of you mind the fiddling st george are doing to get gasnier back in. none of you would back a microscopic audit of parramatta.

Yes, because god only knows a whole lot has happened in that regard :roll:

mate, it would be no different to the dogs in 2008 when they paid a few players in advance due to some money opening up, this then allowed them to enter the market in a big way for 2009, and the results they got backed that decision.

Saints will simply feel the pain in a few years time.

Personally, I question whether Saints even need the bloke the pain that his inflated salary brought before repeated in 2011 onwards.

Ulysseus

Bench
i would, bring it on! given the amount of players the eels have lost in the last 5 years i would be stunned if we were deliberately cheating the cap but if we were i would fully support the nrl in imposing the same penalties the storm received to the eels

Agree with this.

I'd also back a microscopic thorough anal cavity search inducing audit of Saints.
It is pretty simple f**king maths really, we had players leave, some came and played for f**k all (sailor etc) and one that left opened up over 500K in the cap (Gasnier).

In the years preceding we lost:
Kite
Piggy
Ryles
Bailey
Thompson
Ennis
Greenshields
and the list goes on, not all on good money, not all superstars, but all waved goodbye.

If saints were cheating the cap to retain players..................................f**k they've done a sh*t job.

little_aza

Juniors
Sorry Leon but a lot of us are ALREADY heart broken. This is why I as a Storm supporter don't back the legal action of the 4 directors. It is not going to get the titles back. If they somehow win all that happens is the disiplinary process has to be reviewed but we'll still have the same result.

My biggest gripe is that this legal bullsh*t is going to end up hurting the supporters even more greatly...

+1

My thoughts and feelings exactly. The harm's been done, our admin shouldn't be prolonging it any further by judicial processes. The best way to get premierships back is to do it on the field rather than in a courtroom, and have a real go next year - Storm for 2011!! :D

kiwii

Juniors
whos the wingers? its all you guys going on about 'cheats' this that and the other.

none of you mind the fiddling st george are doing to get gasnier back in. none of you would back a microscopic audit of parramatta.

the truth is that the storm arent the only ones who have 'cheated' they are the ones to get caught. Brisbane "not the cleanest books in the NRL" Broncos, manly and parra should be targeted and scrutinised but we wont see that.

the truth is that the storm were paying players what they are worth but everyone else thinks players should be paid pittance and stay in the game because the fans wan them to. you would all be happy with 16 cronullas until it actually happened. The writing is on the wall for rugby league. revise the unworkable unrealistic cap or sink even further behind. Stay in NSW and queensland forever and continue shrinking.

I for one am not a Cronulla supporter, but why do you use them as an excuse for your club to cheat? Yes they are doing it tough but I see a club in the Sharks that play by the rules, get by on the skin of there teeth battle for everything they have, they are in debt but are getting out on there own feet, yet you feel it is fair to knock them? Maybe if the Storm had the integrity that Cronulla does things would be different, but your club took a different path mate what ever you say, you can't take away from the fact that you broke the rules, so cop it. Yes some of your players are worth the money they are getting, but not from your club there over the cap so piss off. They cheated the NRL, every other club, every player from every club, every fan of league, every kid who loves the game, yet you still try to defend them WAKE UP.
In short give me 16 Cronulla's because they have more heart and soul in there little toe, then you and your club have in your entire bodys.

kiwii

Juniors
In a way I am not really against this legal action. The Salary Cap needs to be in the news because it is a restraint on what players can earn.

All this talk about clubs going broke and that we will only have 4 teams in the comp is a load of bull, teams are businesses now and if they can't keep their business in order then someone else will come in and take their place.

I have said often, that the Salary Cap rewards mediocrity, I enjoyed watching The Storm play during their "cheating" years, their skill and professionalism is how I love seeing Rugby League played. When our good players sign with other codes cause the cap won't let them stay in our game then as one poster said, we will have 16 Cronulla's running around fumbling and bumbling their way through the season.

Investors like Delmege, Russel Crowe, etc. will come and and help certain teams, and if some teams can't get that support then there are other teams that can (Central Coast Bears, Perth Reds) Why the need to prop up clubs that can't run their business right?

So then we should get rid of the Storm straight up? going on your above statement when they lose there 6mil per year off News ltd, they are wanting other clubs and the independent comm to prop them up.

Like I have already said mate don't use Cronulla, when they play by the rules that are set out for everyone, the cap is designed to spread the talent who know's what players would be for playing what club but you cant cheat to keep all the talent in one team, and the Sharks don't fumble and bumble as bad as the dogs.

20knights10

Juniors
so the storm were cheating right. but the other teams that played them in the grand finals werent.

So when manly beat the storm in the grand final they did it under the salary cap and beat a team that was way over. wow that makes them an incredibly extraordinary team then.

as if.
If the Storm were to lose fans like you for not taking legal action then the sport as a whole would be far better off. Excusing cheating because you don't like the rules or you think others are doing it shows that it's not actually the sport you are interested in moreso the (shallow) victory. It's quite insulting to actual fans of the game.

manly40gimps0

Juniors

as if.
yep:lol:

Karlos

Juniors
Agree with this.

I'd also back a microscopic thorough anal cavity search inducing audit of Saints.
It is pretty simple f**king maths really, we had players leave, some came and played for f**k all (sailor etc) and one that left opened up over 500K in the cap (Gasnier).

In the years preceding we lost:
Kite
Piggy
Ryles
Bailey
Thompson
Ennis
Greenshields
and the list goes on, not all on good money, not all superstars, but all waved goodbye.

If saints were cheating the cap to retain players..................................f**k they've done a sh*t job.

Players the Storm have lost in a similar timeframe:

-Webster
-Orford
-M.King
-Kaufousi
-B.Cross
-Crossman
-Crocker
-Turner
-Chambers
-J.Smith
-Tagatese
-Tomane
-Falou

We have had a massive turnover of players as well (more than most I would suggest) all of a good calibre, that is why I was so suprised that the Storm were so far over the cap. The only NRL players that were actively purchased were mostly unwanted at the time they came over such as Crocker, Newton, Finch. And we couldnt afford to keep any of those guys. Quinn is the only player that I can think of that was a regular NRL player that we bought and have been able to keep.

The turnover is ridiculous in most clubs really, hopefully with some more cash in years to come we can look forward to some teams developing together because at the moment each year every team looks completely different to what they did the year before.

StormChaser

First Grade
whos the wingers? its all you guys going on about 'cheats' this that and the other.

Makes me laff and laff, every time I hear about how we're supposed "whingers". f**k off! The only crazed Storm stirrer on this forum is Simmo, yet we all get tarred with the same brush and made the "whipping boys/girls" of the place. So over it.

yes thats exactly what i've been getting at , they didn't thrash teams week in week out, they actually lost to some teams, they cheated the cap not a playing the game. it just seems to be parra, dragons and manly fans whining and complaining and jumping on their high horse about this

QFT.

x 3.

This is why I as a Storm supporter don't back the legal action of the 4 directors. It is not going to get the titles back. If they somehow win all that happens is the disiplinary process has to be reviewed but we'll still have the same result.

whoever loses will appeal it will go on and on through the courts i think the lawyers will be the only winners out of it

Loudstrat

Coach
Makes me laff and laff, every time I hear about how we're supposed "whingers". f**k off! The only crazed Storm stirrer on this forum is Simmo, yet we all get tarred with the same brush and made the "whipping boys/girls" of the place. So over it.

Well whinge at him then, not us ffs. He's attacking us -we respond. Don't defend the twat - simple.

Loudstrat

Coach
Simotwat's attack remind me of Rorkes Drift if there was only 1 Zulu.

Oh yeah, and that birthday cake we bought for Luke Burt that Fitzy forgot to declare in the cap - means we cheated.

StormChaser

First Grade
Well whinge at him then, not us ffs. He's attacking us -we respond. Don't defend the twat - simple.

zomg! Do you have a hand up your arse or do you really speak for yourself? You're so quick to say "you defend this, you make excuses for that" when I have NEVER done either! For him or the Storm!!

fyi I have asked Simmo to stfu and he's incapable. Don't feed the troll!

Latest posts