What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Movie Thread

Any Given Sunday.
Anything Tarantino. (Pulp Fiction 2 is most anticipated!)
Anything Kevin Smith. (With the exception of Dogma, the worlds most obvious kash-kow movie)
Lock Stock, Trainspotting, Snatch & most other pommie gangster-comedies of that ilk.

Anyone seen "Stickmen"? That was a great Kiwi film that I picked up by accident but was glad I did.

imported_JoeD

Juniors
Stickmen was fairly humourous, if you liked that try Scarfies another fairly recent movie. Lock Stock and Snatch were both very enjoyable. Another funny movie that has to be on my list is Dirty Rotten Scoundrels. Some of Steve Martin's finest work.

C

CyberKev

Willow & El Duque

Much Ta's for the guidance on that one, fellas. Lets hope I can keep my noggin on top of the bloody password this time around.

Eels Fan

I quite liked Any Given Sunday also... The eyeball scene was particularly off putting though, I must say. I think it may have been Moffo who wrote of his experience of being the only person in the theatre for a movie. That was my experience with Any Given Sunday, and I was suitably chuffed to have my choice of seats. I tended to feel a fraudulent sense of importance, moreso than any undue embarrassment or discomfort... If the movie did have one major flaw, however, it would have to be the lack of credibility apparent in passing off Cameron Diaz as the team owner... Made the casting of Nicole Kidman as a brain surgeon in Ways of Blunder look like a total masterstroke...

CyberKev

Yeh, ive seen Stickmen as well, thats the pool movie right? It was a good watch, the storyline kept me interested enough

BTW, has anyone seen the movie where the kid is employed by the multinational computer company (its a Microsoft ripoff) to write programs for them? A web of deceit is uncovered later in the movie and the kidseventually find out what is really going on. The name escapes me grrrr. Anyways, the point of the post was to highlight the fact that the deleted scenes in that movie were the best part! ;)

Cheers,
Moffo

C

CyberKev

Thoughts on Back To The Future

Its a bit surprising to me that Back to the Future hasn't popped-up in anybodies top ten as of yet. For mine, the BTTF trilogy is the best trilogy going around and arguably the most worthwhile DVD package on offer at the present time. It also appeals to me as constituting the definitive 80s film (given the cast, soundtrack and overall vibe), which is rather ironic given that much of the action taking place in the film takes place outside of the eighties. I'm very much in the minority insomuch as I prefer the second instalment of the trilogy to the final one. I agree that the sequel was a tad derivitive (how could it not be) and milked the product placement angle to the max, but bugger me breadthways if it still wasn't fun viewing.

Interestingly enough, we were very lucky that we got to see a BTTF film of any description. The idea for the film had to be relentlessly tarted around the movie studios before finally being picked-up almost begrudgingly. Its stunning that so many high level movie executives could have got it so far wrong, as almost across the board sentiment suggested that the idea had buckley's chance of pulling the punters. Without a doubt this constituted one of the most appalling errors in judgement in film history, with the trilogy proving to be a brillo money spinner. One does wonder, however, if it would have fared as well had the original proceeded as was planned with Eric Stoltz in the lead role?

In keeping with this, it is worth ruminating on how many films may have flopped solely based on inappropriate casting? Conventionally we don't tend to look too deeply into the reasons behind our dislike of films, but it is probable that on some occasions a subtle role shift or two may have transformed a movie markedly.

CyberKev

El Duque

Bench
And how would the Indiana Jones movies have gone if Tom Selleck had not been comitted to doingMagnum P.I?

Willow

Assistant Moderator
El, if Kev changed his profile name to CyberKev, wouldn't it say 'name already taken' ?

El Duque

Bench
No, because someone removed the original CyberKev from the members list.

I could change my nick to Warlock, Raidpatch or whoever has decided to leave the forum.

El Duque

Bench
<table cellspacing=0 cellpadding=0 width="100%" border=1> <tbody> <tr class=ThmBgAlternate> <td nowrap align=middle background=http://sc.communities.msn.com/themes/pby/img/mb/reply_bg.gif><a target=_top>Reply</a>
c.gif
</td> <td width="100%"> <table cellspacing=0 cellpadding=0 width="100%" border=0> <tbody> <tr> <td> Recommend </td> <td align=right><a target=_top title="Delete this message">
small_delete_1.gif
Delete</a>Message 109 of 109 in Discussion </td></tr></tbody></table></td></tr> <tr class=ThmBgHighlightLight> <td width="100%" colspan=2> <table cellspacing=0 cellpadding=4 width="100%" border=0> <tbody> <tr> <td nowrap width="100%">From: Warlockin response toMessage 108</td> <td nowrap>Sent: 28/02/2003 6:13 PM</td></tr></tbody></table> <table class=ThmBgStandard cellspacing=0 cellpadding=10 width="100%" border=0> <tbody> <tr> <td> No, because someone removed the original CyberKev from the members list.

I could change my nick to Warlock, Raidpatch or whoever has decided to leave the forum.
</td></tr></tbody></table></td></tr></tbody></table>

See what I mean.
<table cellspacing=0 cellpadding=0 border=0> <tbody> <tr> <td>
c.gif
</td></tr></tbody></table>

R

roostergirl

Moffy.... is it the movie with Ryan Phillipe in it???? I think I know the one you mean. And it has the chick from 'Shes all that' in it.....cant think of what its called either ???

C

CanadianSteve

Re: casting. Godfather 3 was supposed to have Winona Ryder as Michael Corleone's daughter, but she got sick or injured on another movie and backed out. Coppola cast his own daughter in the role, to much critical derision.I wonder, if Ryder had stayed in, whether the movie would have gotten better reviews in general. Another weak casting was george Hamilton as the lawyer/advisor. How much better if Robert Duvall had come back as Tom Hagen.

I have the box set DVD's of all 3 Godfathers, and I like #3 better the more I watch it, but it still isn't up to the level of the first 2.

Thats the one El

It never got a lot of reviews, but i didn't mind the movie. Ryan Phillipe is a shit actor though ;)

Cheers,
Moffo

C

CyberKev

Professional film reviewers should employ a dual rating system...

The vast majority of film reviewers lack genuine credibility (for mine) simply because they do not make the effort to assess the film in question from a genre angle, as well as a personal taste perspective. A single individual could never possibly hope to adequately meet the requirements of a broad general public by airing their own opinion as if it were incontravertible fact, yet practically every film reviewer uses this painfully limited and pointless method when plying their trade. A quality reviewer would know the subtle intricacies of all genres back to front and would make a stronger effort to divorce the structural discipline of a film from their own narrow biases. This is all too easy under a dual rating system wherein the reviewer says this film really doesn't push my buttons BUT if you're a sci-fi afficianado you'll probably get off on it... C for me, B+ for sci-fi devotees.

Simple really, but I all too rarely see this approach used.

CyberKev