What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

MR: Frank Hyde

Suitman

Post Whore
denwatts said:
Allan Clarkson was also on the Rex's show,Controvesy Corner.Those blokes would have had a feild day today with the crap in regards to refs and video refs.
Ron Casey show had Frank Hyde,Mike Gibson,a special guess who was usual Micheal Cleary and Ron himself.Nothing like watching both shows and heading out to the game.

Yes.....Allan Clarkson - a "The Sun'" journalist.
How could I forget?

Suity

Gronk

Staff member
I used to love Frank. I'd always listen to him over Col Pearce or Tiger Black (yes he's an old one). I remember him from the Cumberland Oval days where he'd be sitting on the side line with the card table.

RIP Frank.

Suitman

Post Whore
hineyrulz said:
RIP Frank, sad day indeed. We have lost probably the best RL caller ever.

To be honest, in his later years, Frank made more mistakes than any caller I've ever heard.
Rex Mossop came a close second.

Suity

Stagger eel

Staff member
Suitman said:
To be honest, in his later years, Frank made more mistakes than any caller I've ever heard.
Rex Mossop came a close second.

Suity

but you also need to consider that Frank had far inferior technology to work with and actually called games from the sideline, which was a real challenge when you had Cameramen, touch judges and ball boys all in your way.

Gronk

Staff member
I used to love when he'd blow up because a photographer was standing in front of his card table blocking his view. :D

Suitman

Post Whore
Gronk said:
I used to love when he'd blow up because a photographer was standing in front of his card table blocking his view. :D

That was classic. At least 3 times a game!! :lol:
Frank was pretty special.

Suity

JessEel

Accredited Media Releases
Not been a good weekend for league....

MEDIA RELEASE

The NSWRL has paid tribute to one of its most dedicated refereeing officials, Michael Ryan, who died in Sydney today aged 60.

His brave battle against cancer had proven an inspiration with workmates at the NSWRL, where he was a member of the finance department, and among referees whom he continued to coach and encourage.

Mick was first graded as a referee in 1982 and would establish himself as a touch judge entrusted with Grand Finals, Origin matches and Test matches. For five seasons between 1986 and 1990 he was either a side-line official or in-goal official at every First Grade Grand Final.

After retiring from on-field duties he became a Referees’ Advisory Board member and coach, and remained one of the most popular refereeing officials in the game.

“Mick was one of those guys who just pitched in and helped,” NSWRL General Manager Mr Geoff Carr,” said today.

“He had a couple of fights with the disease and kept working as long as he could because he was just that sort of bloke.

“The amazing thing was the way he managed to stay positive throughout and how he continued to make a really strong contribution.”

He is survived by his wife Julie and daughter Catherine.
I worked with Mick, he was lovely :(

bartman

Immortal
Sad news about Frank Hyde. :( He was my first radio commentator. 91's a good innings though.