What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Mr Kearney, Welcome to our nightmare

lingard

Coach
Watching the game the other night, The problem is the halfs, Mortimer is trying but Robson simply isnt up to a NRL standad.

Earlier this year i heard we were offered not only Anasta but Beau Champion as well?? If we are 1 million dollars under the cap why didnt we grab these players for a stable team if anything and not just relay on Hayne, OK maybe these two players were not in SK's plans but who else was on the market???

We tried in vein to sign Matt Orford to no avail but at least with Anasta pairing with Mortimer he could learn off Anasta, We could signed these players for maybe two years and then add players in 2012 and then beyond that we could of got rid of Anasta if we wanted too.

Melbourne were smart enough to grab Beau Champion and i dont think they lost much in Inglis, Even with there troubles last year, I feel Melbourne will go on and win this years grand final...Why? Cuz they have the best fullback in the game (Slater) best Halfback in the game (Cronk) and best hooker in the game (Smith) and Bellamy is still able with losing alot of players can build his side around those players, Something Parramatta has not done in the past 10 years, We have Players like Hayne, Hindmarsh and Moi Moi yet we don't build the club around those players.

We don't even try to sign at good five eight, Half or hooker, We have had one good hooker since we let go Riddell and that was Kevin Kingston and we let him go.

You cant tell with this side:

1.Hayne
2.Burt
3.Reddy
4.Champion
5.Walker
6.Anasta
7.Mortimer
13.Horo
12.Shackalton
11.Hindmarsh
10.Mannah
9.McGuire
8.Poore

14.Robson
15.Moi Moi
16.Webb
17.Rodgers

That team wouldnt at least make the eight, Take all the pressure off Hayne and spead it around so Hayne would be allowed to take a better role in the team and be even more dangerous.

Agree with most of what you`ve said. I can only hope that, if players of the quality of Champion and Anasta are not in Kearney`s plan, then his plan better be a f**kin good one! I realise that Anasta was probably never going to leave the Roosters, but Champion might have been achieveable. Reddy and Champion in the centres! I hope Kearney, unlike our last two coaches (it seems), has a very good plan indeed.

Poupou Escobar

Post Whore
One small flaw in that logic... we made the GF that year. If the club had gone straight out dumping the players that got us there they would have been torn a new one by the very same people who are ripping them now. Hindsight is 20/20.

Exactly.

Imagine if we hadn't re-signed Mortimer. It would've been a bigger uproar than when we 'lost' Michael Witt.

Remember him? The future Queensland Origin halfback? lol

I'm glad people have finally stopped going on about James Maloney. He's as bad as Feleti Mateo.

Poupou Escobar

Post Whore
It`s that right-side in the backs that is the problem.

You reckon?

Round 1
Jerome Ropati (left wing): 124 metres, 2 linebreaks, 2 tries
Lewis Brown (left centre): 1 try

Round 2
Michael Gordon (left wing): 191 metres, 1 try
Michael Jennings (left centre): 129 metres, 1 try assist

Round 3
Fetuli Talanoa (left wing): 1 linebreak, 2 tries
Greg Inglis (left centre): 114 metres, 2 linebreaks, 2 try assists, 1 try

We can all see the potential in Morgan but he's gotta go. I don't really blame Uaisele because a winger's positioning is dictated somewhat by where his centre stands. That said, if his opposite number is 20m outside him he really should be saying something to the guys on his inside.

Agent Mulder

Bench
We didnt try in vein to get Matt Orford. We told him we were interested, he said he was keen, then we turned around and said we didnt want him - ridiculous......Imagine how good the team listed above would go with Orford at 7 instead of Mortimer?

We chased every single experienced person in the NRL who could play halfback and they were either retired or all under contract. We even offered virtually the entire profits of the Leagues Club to some guy who plays rugby and lives in Queensland with his Queensland swimming girlfriend a game and he wouldnt come.....

So can someone tell me how anyone in authority with recruitment within the Club can justify the decision that everyone in rugby league knows we need a good half-back and when the first half back out of all those lot actually says they're keen to come to us and we turn around and have the stupidity to say NO THANKS after all that chasing of an experienced half-back throughout last season? Can you at least give me the reason why you made this stupid decision?? We're at least $600k under the salary cap for F$%^ sake!

Im not sure what the Anasta issue was, but I doubt he was ever realistically leaving the Roosters, but he would have been awesome for us.

Champion should have been signed, simple as that.

Yeah i do remember that about Orford, We just stopped chasing him and yes a dumb move as we don't even have a halfback!

I've followed this club since 1980, And we have never been able to replace Peter Sterling, Ok Sterling was a legend and very hard to replace but it seems we never try.

I've seen them all come and go, Jason Bell, David Penna, Micheal Witt, Steve Witt, John Simon, Jason Taylor, Paul Green,Tim Smith, Jeremy Smith and even Adam Dykes and now Daniel Mortimer, All these players bar Taylor and maybe Simon and Green were touted as the next big name Halfback for the club and lead us to glory....Now we are hearing about this Brad Murray bloke....Please!!!!!! Im sure he is a good young kid with talent but we need a halfback who has won grand finals or has played in big game semis or orgin matches who can handle the pressure.

I do believe we have a good forward pack...Maybe best in the comp, But they have to go forward and everything would fall into place if we had that and a good halfback.

lingard

Coach
Yeah i do remember that about Orford, We just stopped chasing him and yes a dumb move as we don't even have a halfback!

I've followed this club since 1980, And we have never been able to replace Peter Sterling, Ok Sterling was a legend and very hard to replace but it seems we never try.

I've seen them all come and go, Jason Bell, David Penna, Micheal Witt, Steve Witt, John Simon, Jason Taylor, Paul Green,Tim Smith, Jeremy Smith and even Adam Dykes and now Daniel Mortimer, All these players bar Taylor and maybe Simon and Green were touted as the next big name Halfback for the club and lead us to glory....Now we are hearing about this Brad Murray bloke....Please!!!!!! Im sure he is a good young kid with talent but we need a halfback who has won grand finals or has played in big game semis or orgin matches who can handle the pressure.

I do believe we have a good forward pack...Maybe best in the comp, But they have to go forward and everything would fall into place if we had that and a good halfback.

Yes, you`re right. It`s time we went after (and got) the very best half-back that is available - and let money be no object. I hope that is Kearney`s plan. The last quality half we bought who was anywhere near his prime, was John Simon - and we went really well. Dykes was a terrific five-eight, but Brian Smith insisted on him playing half-back, and that didn`t suit his game at all. Tom Humble plays in a similar style to Dykes. That`s why he`s a five-eight, not a half. We need a half.

lingard

Coach
You reckon?

Round 1

Round 2

Round 3

We can all see the potential in Morgan but he's gotta go. I don't really blame Uaisele because a winger's positioning is dictated somewhat by where his centre stands. That said, if his opposite number is 20m outside him he really should be saying something to the guys on his inside.

As I said, it`s our right-side in the backs that is a problem. Don`t need stats to see that.

Chipmunk

Coach
Yes, you`re right. It`s time we went after (and got) the very best half-back that is available - and let money be no object. I hope that is Kearney`s plan. The last quality half we bought who was anywhere near his prime, was John Simon - and we went really well. Dykes was a terrific five-eight, but Brian Smith insisted on him playing half-back, and that didn`t suit his game at all. Tom Humble plays in a similar style to Dykes. That`s why he`s a five-eight, not a half. We need a half.

So we are all in agreeance that we need to go after the best available half-back and the club made that clear last year. But who is this experienced half-back in his prime that we will sign for 2012? Which half-back realistically who is any good is going to be leaving their current club at seasons end?

boxhead

First Grade
Well a few are off-contract apparently, there's Jarrod Mullen, the reports about Cronk, etc, but realistically? Who the hell knows. Hopefully by the end of the season either Robson and Mortimer fire or one of our young players really stamps their authority on the team.

Joshuatheeel

Staff member
You reckon?

Round 1

Round 2

Round 3

Funny thing if we fix that side, we could almost be 3 wins from 3 games

Avenger

Immortal
The nightmare continues:

Etu, Mortimer, Robson, and Rogers should never play first grade again.

Horo and Ben Smith should be dropped due to lack of form and Loko should return to Toyota Cup before his career ends prematurely.

Kearney should be docked a month's wages for his interchange selections and Hayne should be made listen to Death Metal ballads whilst he is suspended.

Latest posts