What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

MR:- Melbourne - SOLD OUT

Hellsy

Immortal
James_Hardie said:
Whenever we play the Storm, Cowboys or Raiders we get really poor crowds (ie when there are no away supporters). The Storm play interstate sides every week with next to no travelling supporters, so it is no wonder they get slightly less crowds on average. Truth is they probably have about the same number of home supporters at every game as we do.

And on our crowds. Mark my words, there will be more Rabbitohs fans at Parra Stadium this weekend than Eels fans.

I'll believe that, there was more Rooters than there was us and that crowd was poor

Utey

Coach
No doubt that a team belongs in Melb but if they dont have a massive supporter base after the premiership win in 99 and being competitive ever since, will they ever. Face it, you simply can not compete with AFL soley based on the massive amount of teams in that part of the world

cardinal

Juniors
<UPtheEELS> said:
No doubt that a team belongs in Melb but if they dont have a massive supporter base after the premiership win in 99 and being competitive ever since, will they ever. Face it, you simply can not compete with AFL soley based on the massive amount of teams in that part of the world

They dont want to compete with AFL they just want there share of the market. You cant put a time frame on these things, how long did it take the swans to get established? Now every rugby league team would kill for there crowds. Olympic park is an ordinary venue to watch football when they get there new stadium they will pull better crowds. I have moved to melbourne from nsw recently and followed the eels all my life,and there is much to be learnt from afl in regards to how there fans show true passion and turn up to see there side regardless of there spot on the ladder. You sydney based eel fans should be embarrassed as souths and the storm will be regulary pulling bigger crowds soon, show support and go and watch and dont boo if they play like sh*t.

Utey

Coach
cardinal said:
They dont want to compete with AFL they just want there share of the market. You cant put a time frame on these things, how long did it take the swans to get established? Now every rugby league team would kill for there crowds. Olympic park is an ordinary venue to watch football when they get there new stadium they will pull better crowds. I have moved to melbourne from nsw recently and followed the eels all my life,and there is much to be learnt from afl in regards to how there fans show true passion and turn up to see there side regardless of there spot on the ladder. You sydney based eel fans should be embarrassed as souths and the storm will be regulary pulling bigger crowds soon, show support and go and watch and dont boo if they play like sh*t.

lol a share? How, what share have they got and ever will get? Very very minimal. This is why you continously get calls for Melb. to relocate to more prosperous areas. Not jus economically but for the sake of a junior base.

Simply, there is not future for the game there. Sure they can play footy down there, bring in 5000 a game but are they really doing anything for "rugby league"?

emjaycee

Coach
<UPtheEELS> said:
lol a share? How, what share have they got and ever will get? Very very minimal. This is why you continously get calls for Melb. to relocate to more prosperous areas. Not jus economically but for the sake of a junior base.

Simply, there is not future for the game there. Sure they can play footy down there, bring in 5000 a game but are they really doing anything for "rugby league"?

Rugby League hasn't been able to compete with AFL/VFL for home and away crowds for years and despite all the sarcasm and negativity surrounding Melbourne Storms current ability to pull a decent crowd IMO they should be there and be supported by the NRL for the long haul.

Who cares what share of the local sporting crowd they get. They get some and over time this will grow.

Instead of wondering why the NRL should support them, but how about wondering why not?

Who says that we have to only watch one sport and cannot support more than one type of game? Why shouldnt RL lovers in Melbourne get the chance to support a local team just as the AFL supporters in Sydney and Brisbane (traditional league towns) get to now support a local team?

Did anybody here calling for Melbourne to be booted out go the Union World Cup? Did anybody not care about the performance of the Socceroos? Does anybody want to see the A-League go the way of the NSL?

For mine, there is an arrogance amongst some supporters of RL and AFL that says "my game is best and yours just sux". This attitude sux IMO.
I loved staying up late and cheering the Socceroos, I went to 6 games during the RU World Cup, including flying to Brisbane for one and I saw at least 4 home games for the Waratahs this year.

Oh, and I have a season ticket to the Eels.

I enjoy watching a variety of sports and so do Melbournites. Let them have the Storm and wish them well. Its better for everyone.

cardinal

Juniors
<UPtheEELS> said:

Simply, there is not future for the game there. Sure they can play footy down there, bring in 5000 a game but are they really doing anything for "rugb
y league"?

Very narrow minded view, afl has got a respected national competition and rugby league has a much better product to sell we can have an even broader base if we give it some time and support. You can live in a bubble if you want or we can try and sell the game to people who were not brought up with the game. Newtown, Wests, Illawarra, Norths and Souths are all examples of teams with not enough fans to survive in sydney, so there is a need to expand to other areas nothing wrong with starting with the sports capital of aus, and yes junior rugby league is promoted and played in Victoria. How many juniors do the roosters have again?

JOB 3:14

Juniors
Hindyscrack said:
What was our crowd on Sunday?? Far worse then anything the storm have attracted this year???

I've got tickets and heading down... $15 tickets is some un-educated drongo talking crap... Cheapest adult tickets are $35 ranging up to $100

Its going to be a great night down in Melbourne followed by a world cup semi, a storm game on friday and flemington on Sat!

CHARLIE MURPHY:p