What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Mt Smart

Blair

Coach
Big Day Outs...holy shit, the glory days. Days never to be relived.
I'm so glad it spread its wings from the first one in Sydney in '92. My mrs went to that one (what street-cred) with Nirvana headlining. But they also played a gig in Auckland on that same tour. I'm pretty sure Kurt threw a chair or something out of his hotel room, several floors up. What a rockstar.

With the NZ liquor law at aged 20 until 1999 I can't remember if the BDOs were dry events?

Penrose Warrior

First Grade
I'm so glad it spread its wings from the first one in Sydney in '92. My mrs went to that one (what street-cred) with Nirvana headlining. But they also played a gig in Auckland on that same tour. I'm pretty sure Kurt threw a chair or something out of his hotel room, several floors up. What a rockstar.

With the NZ liquor law at aged 20 until 1999 I can't remember if the BDOs were dry events?
Holy shit is that right? I turned 18 in 2001 so I don't know. Geez, I must've been fired up about that changing in 99, but I don't remember.

The Big Day Outs I went to definitely weren't dry. Although we went the pre-load way and turned up without any real need to fire up from there. Last one I went to (was it the last?) was 2009 - Arctic Monkeys, Neil Young, Dropkick Murphys, My Morning Jacket, Serj Tankian, Prodigy, Black Seeds etc for what, $99? Unreal.

Blair

Coach
Holy shit is that right? I turned 18 in 2001 so I don't know. Geez, I must've been fired up about that changing in 99, but I don't remember.

The Big Day Outs I went to definitely weren't dry. Although we went the pre-load way and turned up without any real need to fire up from there. Last one I went to (was it the last?) was 2009 - Arctic Monkeys, Neil Young, Dropkick Murphys, My Morning Jacket, Serj Tankian, Prodigy, Black Seeds etc for what, $99? Unreal.
Pre-loading for a BDO? That's a long day (and night). I hope you paced yourself!

Penrose Warrior

First Grade
Pre-loading for a BDO? That's a long day (and night). I hope you paced yourself!
Nope...:( I don't remember this but I stumbled home early from that 2009 one, back to the place I was staying, and set off the burglar alarm. I only know this because I was told the next day and given a time the security guards turned up.

Drink responsibly, people.

Campion

Juniors
I recall having bad weed at the BDO and lying down under a random table near the back of the boiler room. I had hoped for some generic techno to ease my mind but it was all rap (savage I believe?). Not a good time.

SpaceMonkey

Immortal
I missed the first BDO but I think I went to 4 or 5 after that before moving to Aus, then another 3 or 4 here including the final one. Plenty of great memories over the years!

Matua

Bench
I missed the first BDO but I think I went to 4 or 5 after that before moving to Aus, then another 3 or 4 here including the final one. Plenty of great memories over the years!
I had a run in the mid 90s while at Uni when I went to them all. Then I went to one or two in the 2000s after returning to NZ.

All the artists etc blend into one for me so I can't tell you which years I saw which artists. But one of the coolest things I've seen is watching the mosh pit from the stand when RATM played Killing in the Name.

Blair

Coach
Nope...:( I don't remember this but I stumbled home early from that 2009 one, back to the place I was staying, and set off the burglar alarm. I only know this because I was told the next day and given a time the security guards turned up.

Drink responsibly, people.
Funny stuff. It was someone famous (Kevin Locke, maybe) who said wistfully, 'youth is wasted on the young'.

TheDMC

Bench
Aye I remember that Rage track going off...it was epic. Other scattered memories: Last Splash by the Breeders playing as the sun went down. Having a massive hangover kick in as Soundgarden played, earlier seeing one of my fav NZ bands on a side stage, Jean Paul Satre Experience, and watching the hot-dog vendor chase my mate Delboy around wanting to give him the bash for being way way too lippy.
I had a run in the mid 90s while at Uni when I went to them all. Then I went to one or two in the 2000s after returning to NZ.

All the artists etc blend into one for me so I can't tell you which years I saw which artists. But one of the coolest things I've seen is watching the mosh pit from the stand when RATM played Killing in the Name.

Penrose Warrior

First Grade
I think it was Michael Luck who said “Youth is wasted on Kevin Locke”
Hahaha no he said when God was handing out brains, Nobby was out buying magic beans or something similar. Shit it was a good quote.

Youth is 100% wasted on the young. I look back at when I could play sport and could've been so much better if not for lack of a brain/attitude and now I have a brain/attitude but my body has no interest.

SpaceMonkey

Immortal
Was discussing something in the Future NRL stadiums thread aabout how Mt Smart was originally an Athletics oval and found this footage of the Commonwealth games closing ceremony there, with the hills completely covered in temporary seating and packed out. Quite the sight!

Blair

Coach
With annual leave booked there's no reason why I shouldn't be at Mt Smart in July. The Raiders are coming, how apt? They were my team pre-95, and I loved them.

As you know I never went to a Warriors game in NZ and it's something I need to do. I lived in Auckland, on and off, for a couple of years, circa '95-97 and have a soft-spot for it. My hood was Westmere, overlooking Western Springs. I was in Japan when Dean Bell led the team out for that historic first game.

Nearly 30 years later and I'll be back! Is DB Bitter still around? This trip will be something else. Where did all that time go?

Last edited:

SpaceMonkey

Immortal
I remember there being quite a debate in the lead up to 95 as to whether the Warriors should be be based at Carlaw or Mt Smart and the Butcher (among others) advocating for Mt Smart with a “think bigger” mindset. I certainly think they were proved right by the support the club received in the early days but I’ve also gotta wonder how things could’ve panned out if they’d gone for Carlaw and the place had got some love- I remember going there in 2001-02 for a trial (with Ozbash!) and the place was a woefully dilapidated dump, but damn that was a hell of a location!

Juju

Juniors
I remember there being quite a debate in the lead up to 95 as to whether the Warriors should be be based at Carlaw or Mt Smart and the Butcher (among others) advocating for Mt Smart with a “think bigger” mindset. I certainly think they were proved right by the support the club received in the early days but I’ve also gotta wonder how things could’ve panned out if they’d gone for Carlaw and the place had got some love- I remember going there in 2001-02 for a trial (with Ozbash!) and the place was a woefully dilapidated dump, but damn that was a hell of a location!
I think Carlaw ultimately would have brought more success to the club than Mt Smart.
It was cultural heart of Rugby League in NZ and would've been seriously intimating for visit teams if a Warriors team were doing well. As you say - it was dilapidated so would have needed a heft upgrade to get it to standard even in 1995.
The location was unbeatable that for sure.
It's always going to be a "what if" thought for me.

Juju

Juniors
With annual leave booked there's no reason why I shouldn't be at Mt Smart in July. The Raiders are coming, how apt? They were my team pre-95, and I loved them.

As you know I never went to a Warriors game in NZ and it's something I need to do. I lived in Auckland, on and off, for a couple of years, circa '95-97 and have a soft-spot for it. My hood was Westmere, overlooking Western Springs. I was in Japan when Dean Bell led the team out for that historic first game.

Nearly 30 years later and I'll be back! Is DB Bitter still around? This trip will be something else. Where did all that time go?
DB Bitter is no more sadly.

Try and book your ticket nice and early, aim to get a seat right on half way in the east stand.

Westmere your old hood has gone from working class in 1995 to $2m properties now!

Latest posts