What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Mullen's a chance for Origin

keeney

First Grade
<H2 id=story>Mullen's a chance for Origin
By Jammes Phelps
April 26, 2007
IN the space of two weeks Newcastle Knights rookie Jarrod Mullen has gone from Andrew Johns's sidekick to a contender for the Blues.
The 20 year old is looming as a State of Origin bolter after New South Wales selector Bob McCarthy yesterday declared the young No.6 had been earmarked as a future representative star.
With a shortage of stocks in the crucial playmaking position, Mullen, Johns's protege at the Knights, could play his way into a Blues jersey over the next three rounds with strong performances for the Knights.
"He is playing good and we will definitely consider him," McCarthy said.
"We watched him play in the schoolboys a couple of years ago and we earmarked him for five years down the track. That's was only a couple of years ago so we will see what happens."
Mullen is no certainty to be selected at five-eighth for New South Wales Country when the team is announced on Sunday, with St George-Illawarra's Ben Hornby and Knights full back Kurt Gidley in contention for the team's clash with New South Wales City next Thursday in Coffs Harbour.
But McCarthy said the boom youngster was still a chance of unseating the favourites Jamie Lyon and Braith Anasta for an Origin call-up.
"It depends where the Country blokes play him," McCarthy said.
"We will see what happens in the City-Country game and then go from there."
McCarthy is confident NSW will be able to come up with a halves combination capable of matching the formidable Queensland combination of Test stars Johnathan Thurston and Darren Lockyer.
"(Brett) Kimmorley is playing good," McCarthy said. "And (Matt) Orford played good the other day when he came back.
"We will have someone to take the fight to Queensland. Don't worry, we will have a good backline too."
</H2>
I know theres nothing in it most likely, but christ he's been playing ordinary, he's moer than capable of being there in the future. But right now? He hasn't had a particularly good game all year, and his lack of maturity at times has been painfully obvious. I think Origin would do wonders for him, but I don't think he's ready, nor in the kind of form to warrant this kind of speculation.

keeney

First Grade
I'd love for him to be Country 5/8th though. A fresh coaching perspective plus some time training with an established halfback would really do him a world of good.

KniGhTs BaTTLeR

Juniors
That's a gee up. If he makes origin i will run naked onto the field next Knights home game after the side is announced. It's only 5 grand fine isnt it?. His form has been ordinary, he needs more time.

Burwood

Bench
Mullen is no where near ready for Origin, but I don't think that he would fail as much as people are saying (mainly in the NRL forum thread). He wouldn't be playing halfback, and would instead be 2nd fiddle beside a dominant halfback like Kimmorley, Orford, Gower... NSW wouldn't be relying on him for 5th tackle options etc- he'd be there to run the ball and provide backup to the #7.

The one part of the article that I do find promising is that McCarthy mentioned him being earmarked as a future rep player. I would be more than happy to see NSW name some rookies in this year's series, rather than their usual "they have done the job for us before" approach that they love to take. Queensland did it very successfully last year, and although I don't expect it to pay dividends for NSW straight away, the benefit will be huge for 2008.

Misanthrope

Staff member
Well, just because he's in consideration doesn't mean they'll actually make the leap of putting him there. This year they'll go with someone like Anasta or Hornby (or possibly Kidley, if they're insane) in five eighth because they've got experience. Guys like Carney and Mullen will be blooded over the next few years.

Yosh

Coach
Yeah definately dont think he will make it. I said he was a bolter before but was kidding. Playing Origin now and getting smashed out there could destroy or hinder his career. Shouldnt play unless they really need a half and Mullen some how rips sh*t in his next couple of games.

Jobdog

Live Update Team
KniGhTs BaTTLeR said:
That's a gee up. If he makes origin i will run naked onto the field next Knights home game after the side is announced. It's only 5 grand fine isnt it?. His form has been ordinary, he needs more time.
Better start collecting that 5 grand then ;-)

Ben

Bench
I just hope it doesn't put too much pressure on the kid. There is all this talk in the papers how he is the next big thing in rugby league, is a suitable replacement for Andrew Johns and now is earmarked as a potential State of Origin player. Sure, he is a great player with plenty of talent, but i'm just hoping the pressure to perform consistently week after week doesn't take a toll. Then again, all great players stand up against adversity and this could be what makes him great.

CJKnight

Juniors
The future NSW 5/8 will be either Mullen or Carney IMO. Both are phenomenal talents, I guess it will come down to who is in the best form at the respective time.

AdamT

Juniors
keeney said:
</H2>
I know theres nothing in it most likely, but christ he's been playing ordinary, he's moer than capable of being there in the future. But right now? He hasn't had a particularly good game all year, and his lack of maturity at times has been painfully obvious. I think Origin would do wonders for him, but I don't think he's ready, nor in the kind of form to warrant this kind of speculation.

I didnt know Bob McCarthy was into recreational drugs - if quotes are correct he must be.

1. As Keeny says - he hasnt playd particularly brlliant all year.
2. He would be lucky to make the Country team let alone SOO
3. He isnt ready to stp up to SOO yet - but he will be one day I hope.

Latest posts