What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Mundine v Waters

O

ozbash

mundane will be a south sydney rabbitoh immediately after his first defeat...

i mean,just how long can you fight in rigged bouts and get away with it.?
everyones starting to see through him......

Willow

Assistant Moderator
What exactly is annoying people about this press release?
I've kept away from this Mundine discussion for different reasons.
Namely, I've never been able to understandhow one bloke can upset so many people for no reason.
I mean, if someone continually gets on my nerves, I just switch over to another channel.
Mundine does all this stuff for the show that boxing is. And people react so he does it again.
I don't think Choc has done anything wrong. He has his own rules and for that we can take him or leave him.
He actually does things in the community which never get any press.... he doesn't seek attention for this community work. A fellow forummer has met him and told me that he was very polite and courteous. It's often the case that celebrities are quite the opposite to his press releases.
One thing's for sure, if he beats Waters and then goes on to be world champion, it still won't enough for some people. On the other hand, if he gets clobbered, the same people will be delighted.
Whatever the result, I'm wishing Choc all the best of luck in what should be a good fight.

El Duque

Bench
If Bumdine beats Waters he won't beat Ottke.Otkke will make him quit on his stool.
Mundine is having a go at Christianity inhis latest satement.Just what we need now,Some deadshit seeing he has Allah with him and he's been blessed and he'd evenbeat Jesus.I aint religous but that kinda shit is uncalled for atm with all the Afghan crap going on.Next he'll be telling us bin Laden is a top bloke.

D

dasher

my sentiments exactly willow,
if u dont like him, dont read his press releases or listen to him on tv, its simple...
sure he might take things a bit far, but thats who he is, he wants to get the reactions, and it obviously works. I think its the old saying "any publicity is good publicity"

i wish him good luck in this fight and the world title shot, ill be interested to hear peoples comments IF he does win the world title, will that be enough proof to everyone that hates him that he does have something behind him?? or will they still claim it was rigged or set up??

Willow

Assistant Moderator
Oh I see, the Allah vs Jesus thing. That old chestnut.
Sorry, but I can't rate that as important. Especially for someone who isn't religious.
John Lennon once said that the Beatles are bigger than Jesus Christ and Christian fundamentalists started burning Beatles records on bonfires in the USA. That was about 35 years ago.
My understanding is that the modern Christian church is attempting to get over it.

He's just trying to stir people up mate. Easier to ignore it.

BTW, there is nothing hereto suggest that Mundine thinks bin Laden is a top bloke. Thats's something you've just come up with without any basis.

El Duque

Bench
Why didn't you post in past tense?The fight was over before 9:30

Ottke WILL make Bumdine quit on his stool.

B

bender

I didnt quite see the fight tonight, due to a foxtel satellite problem,
by the time i got connected the fight was over. Still though, from watching the clips, Mundine does deserve Credit. That was a sweet punch that put Waters down and Waters can take a punch. Mundine is improving out of sight with each fight and I believe i must change my tune. He is now getting close to World Class and must be an excellent chance to win a world title. Incidentally, Waters did not look anything like the Waters of old and his defence appeared awkward, from what I saw. Still though, Mundine does deserve credit for a great fight. The biggest question mark for Mundine now is whether he can take a punch. If he can, he will probably win a World Title.

From a boxing point of view, if Mundine does win this next fight, it will set up the biggest Australian fightin a longtime in Mundine-Soloman. Incidentally, is their any chance of Jeff Harding coming out of retirement. I cant see anyone else from Australia stopping Mundine. Anyone else think of some good Aussie middleweights-light heavyweights who might tackle Mundine.

El Duque

Bench
bender,bumdine knocked back a winner take all fight worth 500k with Paul Briggs a while back.Briggs is a big hitter and has far more power than bumdine.

Ramit54

Juniors
ANTHONY Mundine has cleared the decks for his December super middleweight world title shot with a sensational second round, one punch knockout of Guy Waters at Liverpool's EG Whitlam Centre. Mundine detonated a superb straight right on the former world title contender's chin and referee Billy Males immediately stopped the bout, recognising there was no prospect of the 37-year-old veteran beating his ten count. Former rugby league star Mundine extended his pristine professional record to ten bouts and logged his eighth KO. Tonight's victory cleared the way for 26-year-old Mundine's December 1 challenge to Germany's unbeaten international Boxing Federation super middleweight Sven Ottke in Dortmund. The first round saw the two men mostly trade jabs, but the action warmed up in the second. Waters, who lost three world title bouts at light heavyweight and cruiserweight caught Mundine with right hand early in the second, but it merely provoked The Man. Mundine retaliated with some right hands of his own and the knockout blow was every bit as decisive as his devastating one-punch knock out of Timo Masua on the Gold Coast back in April. Cheers Retread

D

dasher

just a well done to anthony, u cant really say this fight was rigged can u??

imported_ss20

Juniors
Typical. The baggers only stop when the Man wins. Before the fight,he can't win, he is all mouth, I hope he gets smashed etc etc. After Mundine wins, . ZIP.
Good on ya Man. You are the best and deserve more respect.

Well, my thoughts about him haven't changed. The only way that people deserve respect in my book is when they show it. Mundine bags out everything, had no respect for a well accomplished boxer in Waters and had no respect for all the families of people who have died in the ring. Mundine EXPECTS respect....What a joke, does he not understand that he has to earn it??
Sure, it was a top punch, the crowd down at the tavern last night were all astounded. It was right on the chin, a really good shot. OK, he is a good boxer, but it takes more then being a good athlete to gain the respect of the wider public....
MFC.

O

ozbash

ss20, he,s a bloody mouse. until he stops getting these rigged fights, he,ll never be the MAN.
that debacle today was,nt a fight, it was all part of the "build up choc" plan thats been in action since day 1.
has beens and no-hopers. lets see what he,s made of on dec 1.
he,s a tossa

Atilla

Juniors
Without trying to sound dissrespectfull to Mundine and his 'team' of followers, I must agree with you ozbash.

Regards all - Atilla

El Duque

Bench
Why peolpe are getting excited about Mundane I don't know.

Out of the 4 major belts(WBA,WBC,IBF and WBO)he has not beaten ONE top 10 ranked fighter(which consists of about 24 guys)and is not ranked in the 10 himself by any organisation mainly because he hasn't foughtanyone with a pulse and when he did he lost(Soliman was clearly robbed).He honestly does not deserve a title shot.It's obvious Ottke sees him as an easy pay day as he is fighting him as a VOLUNTARY defence as opposed to a MANDATORY.

B

bender

El Duque,

Forgetting about his out of the ring behaviour, you would have to agree that Mundine seems to have improved dramatically from his first fight. In fact if he did not carry on like he does (and possibly if he had not had a rugby league career) then his boxing skills would have been far more rated than what they are now by many people.

That Waters fight was not an easy fight, although admittedly it was not against a top 10 fighter, but most fighters do fight 'cream puff' fighters early in the career. From memory the same criticism was made of Troy Waters when he lost his first fight. Mundine has fought the best Australia has to offer and won. Sure, he should give Soloman a rematch and hopefully he will in the future, but you cant blame him for chasing the World Title first. I dont know enough about Ottke to say whether hell win or not, but i do believe that on current form Mundine has as much as a shot as say Lester Ellis, Troy Waters, Guy Watersand some of the other more recent Aussie Boxers who have been touted as World Title prospects prior to their first world title shots.

Personally, I hope that Waters also gets a rematch against Mundine which i still believe would be a good fight. Mundine could not land that early knockout again, I dont believe. The Soloman rematch also would be a good fight but I think Mundine will learn from last time and will knock him out.

Dont get me wrong, Mundine still has a long way to go and a couple of classes to step up before he becomes a World Champion but i now believe it is a possibility (certainly not a certainty). I like Mundine's Ali Shuffle style of Dancing which I believe is similar to his father's style. Only time will tell whether Mundine can maintain his concentration and take a punch against World Class fighters. I hope he can, For Australian Boxing it would be great to see an Aussie rule the World, although like i said before he does still have a couple of classes to step up to

M

Macca

Bender: Although you still don't "Like" Mundine, I believe you are starting to understand the real ability that he has. (He still has far to go however)

I hope Mundine (apart from todays media outburst) can rally up a huge following here in Oz for his next fight.

If you don't like the person for what he speaks, then thats fine, your allowed an oppinion and so is he, but for anyone to support a German to knock out an Australian, has lost ther mind.

GO CHOC!!!!