What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

My Finals System

lockyno1

Post Whore
Shocking system and that is being nice! It is either the McIntyre or the AFL model. I still prefer the AFL model as it rewards top 4 more but that is a personal opinion!

>zuzu<

Juniors
Thee reason i like the AFL crowd is because:

1) PF would be homeground games for the 2 winners of the top 4. So the Storm and Bulldogs would be playing at home and in a PF, would lead to a HUGE crowd. Crowds are down, could be a ploy to get them up.
2) More perspective on the top 4, rather then this system, which have the emphasis on the top 2.
3) Bottom teams have to win EVERY game to make it to the Grand Final.

Slackboy72

Coach
I still think there is a big problem with having a week off and then no second chance. That was the great thing about the final five. Being minor premiers actually was advantageous.

Additionally in AFL it is almost better to come 5th than 4th.

hebdog85

Juniors
Some of the finals systems above are way too confusing....

I think we should go back to a top 5 finals format. It seems unfair that teams that lose more games than they win can make the finals under the current top 8 format.

My suggested format is as follows:

Top 5

Week 1

1st - Melbourne (Week off)
2nd - Bulldogs vs. 3rd - Brisbane - Telstra Stadium
4th - Newcastle vs. 5th - Manly - Energy Australia Stadium

Loser of 4th and 5th Eliminated

Week 2

Major Semi Final: Melbourne vs. Winner of Brisbane/Bulldogs - Olympic Park
Minor Semi Final: Loser of Brisbane/Bulldogs vs. Winner of Newcastle/Manly - Telstra Stadium/Suncorp Stadium

Loser of Minor Semi Final Eliminated
Winner of Major Semi Final progresses through to NRL Grand Final

Week 3

Qualifying Final: Loser of Major Semi Final vs. Winner of Minor Semi Final - @ Loser of Major Semi Finals Home Venue/Region

Loser Eliminated
Winner Progresses to NRL GF

Week 4

NRL Grand Final: Winner of Major Semi Final vs. Winner of Qualifying Final @ Telstra Stadium

What do u guys think?

Also, i believe that home finals should be awarded to higher ranking teams up until the NRL grand final. In the case of teams such as Dragons, Manly, Tigers, Melbourne, Warriors, Penrith etc with smaller home venues making Week 2 and 3 of the finals series as a higher ranking side the venue would be switched to a larger venue in that teams region, for example:

Warriors: Jade Stadium, Eden Park, Northharbour Stadium
Tigers: Aussie Stadium or Telstra
Melbourne: Telstra Dome, New Stadium (2008 onwards)
Dragons: Aussie or Telstra Stadium
Penrith: Aussie or Telstra Stadium
Manly: Aussie, Telstra or Central Coast

mickdo

Coach
Slackboy72 said:
Additionally in AFL it is almost better to come 5th than 4th.
What are you smoking? How could it be better to come 5th when you get sudden death, as opposed to being 4th where you can lose the first game and stay in it, and also get a shot at a week off!!! :crazy: :crazy: :crazy:

borat

Bench
mickdo said:
What are you smoking? How could it be better to come 5th when you get sudden death, as opposed to being 4th where you can lose the first game and stay in it, and also get a shot at a week off!!! :crazy: :crazy: :crazy:

Where the AFL system is a pot of shyte is that the only advantage you get from being an unbeaten minor premier to scraping into 4th is a home game.

Too much credit given to teams 3 & 4 which is why we punted this system years ago and it will never return.

mickdo

Coach
borat said:
Where the AFL system is a pot of shyte is that the only advantage you get from being an unbeaten minor premier to scraping into 4th is a home game.

Too much credit given to teams 3 & 4 which is why we punted this system years ago and it will never return.
That's all true, but if 1 can't beat 4 with home advantage then do they deserve to be where they are in the first place?

Raider_69

Post Whore
some pretty ordinary suggestions being thrown around here
for mine, the AFL one is probably the best on paper, but really, whats wrong with the mcintyre system?

as gould said, i struggle to think of one season where under this system, the best team hasnt won the comp. This year the 4 best teams are the 4 last standing... it's got it's flaws like any system does, but it works.

borat

Bench
mickdo said:
That's all true, but if 1 can't beat 4 with home advantage then do they deserve to be where they are in the first place?

The regular season is played over 26 rounds, if your ontop after that you deserve to be there. What right does 4th get to have 2 bites at the cherry. The MacIntyre rewards the top 2 whcih is how it should be, anymore is supporting mediocrity.

RufusRex

Post Whore
Here is a finals system

Week 1

1 v 16
2 v 15
3 v 14
4 v 13
5 v 12
6 v 11
7 v 10
8 v 9

Week 2 - rank the winners 1 to 8 on table position

Winner 1 v Winner 8
Winner 2 v Winner 7
Winner 3 v Winner 6
Winner 4 v Winner 5

Week 3 - Rank the winners 1-4 on table position

Winner 1 v Winner 4
Winner 2 v Winner 3

Week 4 - Grand Final

Two winners from Week 3

I mean if 50% of teams can make the finals why not just make it 100%

Put more value on the minor premiership

Have a Premier League/FA cup kind of season ...

McIntyre is a joke .. why not go all the way

Latest posts