What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

My first choice british test team (coming from an aussie)

Stormin Norman

Juniors
i'd atleast have keith mason and ian sibbit on the bench both great players for the storm well keith didn't really get his chance.
i'm only mucking round wit sibbit but he was a very handy player wit the storm and i was a HUGE fan of his does ne one know how he has been going this season?

Evil Homer

Staff member
Sibbit is absolute cack.one of the worst players in the ESL,although apparantly he played well today

McGuire must be in the starting 13, he is pure class, playing with confidence in a winning team. In terms of the props, our set at the Rhinos are peforming particularly well this year, Ward and McDonald especially. Hooker? I know Diskin is playing well, but also know he won't get picked. My problem with playing Newton is his complete lack of discipline, real danger of him going if a game gets a bit naughty.
I just hope Noble is prepared to pick on form and not on 'reputation', as I see it that will be the only way we post some good performances.

SFW

Juniors
1. Richard Mathers
2. Brian Carney
3. Martin Gleeson
4. Keith Senior
5. Stuart Reardon
6. Kevin Sinfield
7. Sean Long
8. Stuart Fielden
9. Matt Diskin
10. Adrian Morley
11. Gareth Ellis/Jamie Peacock
12. Andrew Farrell
13. Paul Sculthorpe

14. Danny McGuire
15. Jamie Peacock/Gareth Ellis
16. Paul King
17. Nick Fozzard

Rest of squad

Paul Wellens
Chev Walker/Leon Pryce
Richard Horne/Danny Orr
Terry Newton
Danny Ward
Andy Lynch/Andy Coley
Gareth Hock

JasonE

Bench
I'm starting to think that Coley would look really good at test level, he is young, athletic and powerful, I'd probably have him coming off the bench.

Lynch hasn't really hit form this year but he looked quality last year and would also go well playing with better players.

Rich

Juniors
MY team would now be:

1. Wellens
2. Walker
3. Gleeson
4. Senior
5. Pryce
6. McGuire
7. Long
8. Fielden
9. Newton
10. Farrell
11. Morley
12. Ellis
13. Sculthorpe

14. Harris
15. Higham
16. Peacock
17. Gilmour

I've explained in another thread that because Fielden, Farrell and Morley are in the 13 then 2 props on the bench aren't really necessary. I would have Farrell on for 80 minutes, with Morley and Fielden at prop for 40 each (with Moz playing 60 in total; first 20 in the second row).

It's unconventional (and a risk if one is injured) but no other prop is anywhere near the same class. Anyway that trio is capable of outplaying the Australian and NZ front rowers.

We also need players who are fit enough to play 5 straight tests (probably twice as hard as the usual 3, based on each one getting harder) so players carrying knocks like Carney aren't worth the risk IMO. Also I have Radlinski and Wellens absolutely even but I fancy Wellens to be a bit fresher.

I have no worries about Gleeson. He will have been training the house down and will peak at the right time of the competition.

JasonE

Bench
Rich that's basically what im thinking although I'd like a big prop on the bench, maybe Fozzard, Coley or Danny Scully

DrewBeliever

Juniors
It wouldn't suprise me with Brian Noble been the Bulls coach picking the majority of his squad.

And Long, do you all think he'll be fit enough from his op to play 7, Deacons turned out pretty goos, especially against Rhinos he took them by storm.

nickdraperfto

Juniors
Rich i have to Disagree, your bench would see us destroyed. You need at least two big props on the bench as these teams will grind you down. You wont see the aussies going with one forward. Can you imagine the aussies grinding us down for 50 mins, then their back will destroy us! We seem to go with too many backs on the bench in recent years :roll: its no coincidence we loose every single game late on. We always take a beating in the last 1/4.

The reason why the bulls are so sucessful of late is they follow this concept. Thank god it is Noble in charge this year.

I'd go with two props, one other forward and utility back.

Danny Sculphorpe Is Awful...makes too many mistake and is not mobile and im a wigan fan. Gotta agree though with your comments on gleeson though, he's a class act who has a point to prove! I also agree about pairing him with walker. I too am a little wary of playing Radlinski but i dont see wellens as any better, if only Mathers were more experienced. But, if your good enough your old enough.

1. Wellens
2. Radlinski
3. Gleeson
4. Senior
5. Reardon
6. Harris
7. Long
8. Farrell
9. Diskin
10. Fielden
11. Morley
12. Peacock
13. Sculthorpe

14. Fozzard
15. Ellis
16. Sinfield
17. McGuire

Rich

Juniors
nickdraperfto said:
Rich i have to Disagree, your bench would see us destroyed. You need at least two big props on the bench as these teams will grind you down. You wont see the aussies going with one forward. Can you imagine the aussies grinding us down for 50 mins, then their back will destroy us! We seem to go with too many backs on the bench in recent years :roll: its no coincidence we loose every single game late on. We always take a beating in the last 1/4.

The reason why the bulls are so sucessful of late is they follow this concept. Thank god it is Noble in charge this year.

I'd go with two props, one other forward and utility back.

Danny Sculphorpe Is Awful...makes too many mistake and is not mobile and im a wigan fan.

What you say is perfect in theory about the make up of a good bench but IMO the GB personnel should force the hand of the coach.

We have 3 certain starters who can play prop and who can all comfortably handle long spells. But then there is no depth whatsoever.

Anderson has always played well for GB but has been well off form this year. McDermott has never played well for GB and shouldn't be considered. I rate Sculthorpe more than you but his selection wouldn't particularly excite me nor would that of the out of form Fozzard.

Lynch and Bailey....maybe in a few years.

With Fielden (40 mins), Morley (40 mins prop & first 20 mins in the second row) and Farrell (80 mins) there won't be the need to have other props on the bench, especially as all the contenders aren't good enough.

nickdraperfto

Juniors
well i have to agree with your comments to an extent, your right we dont have much depth in that position. I gotta agree with your comments on mcdermott etc too but i would give fozzard a go to give more balance to the team. He is a good player who can have a big impact.

I see what your saying regarding players being picked on merit but personally i'd go for the balance. We both want GB to win, theres something we agree on :clap:

bartman

Immortal
Judging by today's performance by the Kiwi pack, GB will have to make sure the bench gives enough petrol in the tank up front, otherwise it could get messy.

JasonE

Bench
Alot of people will disagree with this but i think GB must have Fozzard in the squad, i would give him the job of just going forward and making the hard metres, GB need someone like that to go alongside Moz and Fielden, no doubt both Scully and Farrell will try to use their skill so they will need plenty of go forward.

bartman

Immortal
Having now watched last night's GF (and highlights today on Grandstand), I think McGuire, Diskin, Mathers, and Deacon really played themselves into serious contention. (And Hape for NZ too)

So I think Noble will go for:
1. Mathers
2. Walker (assume Carney n/a)
3. Gleeson
4. Senior
5. Reardon
6. McGuire (assume Harris n/a)
7. Deacon
8. Fielden
9. Diskin/Newton (?)
10. Morely
11. Farrell
12. Peacock
13. Sculthorpe

14. Sinfield
15. Ellis
16. King/Anderson/Bailey
17. Fozzard/Anderson/Bailey
18. Diskin (if not selected in 9) or Long

Shadow backs: Pryce, Calderwood
Shadow halves: Long, Burrow (assume Horne n/a)
Shadow forwards: Bailey, Anderson, O'Laughlin

That's a 25-man sqaud for 5 games?

JasonE

Bench
Mate did they happen to mention whats the latest on the availability of Horne Harris Pryce and Long

i'd love to see either/both Long or Horne fit because Deacon just hasn't got it imo

another option could be to play the Leeds combo of Danny at 7 and Sinny at 6

bartman

Immortal
I think Horne is out of it for sure and needs surgery. I'd forgotten about Leon Pryce but I think he needs surgery too. Long is available but only has had a few games back since the suspension.

Harris is available and played last night, but there's been press stories with him saying he'd prefer a break after 16 months straight of union/league. So I don't know whether that's just softening the news that he's "unavailable" or "to be rested" from rep duties by his coach Noble?

I think if McGuire is to be picked to start for GB, it would be best next to an experiecned campaigner (Deacon/Long) first up. I don't think Noble would have initial confidence in a Sinfield-McGuire starting combo first up, but it could well happen in later games.

Latest posts