What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

My latest letter to the ARL...

Coastbloke

Bench
To Whom it may Concern,

I have written to the ARL previously and usually with the same concern in regard to an aspect to rugby league which is very dear to me. The International Game.

This letter is no different.

Since the announcement of the World Cup in May of this year, there has been no further news of the tournament that so many are looking forward to. There has been no information on the opening ceremony and the associated match. Which Sydney venue will hold the event? No information has been forthcoming on venues, apart from the final in Brisbane, or even when tickets to the opening, closing and pool games will become available for general purchase.

The weakest link to our game is the International Game. Even some of our most influential personalities involved in the game have such a negative view of the International Game, they either make light of it or completely ignore it. The 2008 Rugby League World Cup is the perfect opportunity to showcase our game and to prove to those who criticize our game of the quality of players who come from countries such as France, PNG, Fiji and even the US.

But it is most important that the ARL and the RLIF waste no time on the promotion of this exciting event. I’d like the ARL to use their influence to encourage the media outlets such as The Footy Show, The Roast, News Ltd and Fairfax to mention the World cup at every opportunity. I despair at the waste of valuable column space dedicated to the abuse of opposing columnists in the Sunday sports pages. This space could be much better utilized in promoting this tournament.

It would be fantastic for the game if the weekly magazines Rugby League Week and Big League had some coverage of the remaining qualifiers and/or country or player profiles once a month.

Local media need to be alerted that the World Cup will be holding games in their neck of the woods. I live on the NSW Central Coast and a match like France vs Wales under lights will see me their first to buy tickets. It’s important that local radio and print be in on the promotion.

There is only 15 precious months to the kick off the tournament. The opening ceremony and match must be sold out as an event as well as a rugby league match whether it will be at Telstra Stadium or the renamed Sydney Football Stadium. I am in no doubt that Suncorp Stadium will be full for the Final and the closing ceremony, but Sydney appears to have lost it’s enthusiasm for International rugby league and needs convincing that this tournament is worth the wait.

Ricky Stuart once said that he wanted to bring pride back to the Kangaroo jumper. In a age where players are convinced that to wear their State jumper is more important or desirable than to wear the jersey of their National team, the 2008 Rugby League World Cup is the perfect opportunity to turn the game around, and bring the Kangaroos back to their rightful place at the pinnacle of the Greatest Game of All.

hutch

First Grade
coastbloke, i think you have summed up all our views in that letter. tickets are supposed to start going on sale next month, and we've heard nothing! the website hasnt even been updated. im hoping they have some grand plan that they are about to unleash, but things arent looking likely. they should be bombarding us with information, they need to make it sound like THE event of 2008. it seems as if they have completely forgotten about it.

have you got an email address so i can send a letter as well? would love to know when tickets go on sale and just let them know that people are hanging out for announcements.

i cant believe our current admin can hold the game back so much. if this was any other sport in the world they would be trying to make the most of it. if we had half the brains of fifa or the irb our game would be a lot bigger worldwide.

Seriously, the ARL-bashing that goes on in this forum is really a bit over the top at times...

Fair enough, you're worried that we really haven't heard much about the WC08 yet. It is over a year away - they don't know who all the qualifiers are yet - and it's not exactly as big as the Olympics.

I would suggest that money spent now on promoting it would be wasted - especially when we don't even know who's playing. There are also a couple of other major sporting events currently going around: the Asian Cup, and a Rugby Union World Cup commencing in August. I'd personally prefer both those events to be over before any great promotions start.

Actually, while I'm at it - it's not all about ads and posters, etc. It's also about public relations and getting the message out into the non-sporting media at the right time. This has always been RL's problem - we don't rate a mention in non-sports programmes. If this becomes considered an 'event' that netball mums will want to take their kids to then it will because Mel and Kochie are talking about it on Sunrise, DJs are nattering on about it on 2UE, etc. not because of a few ads telling us its the event of the year.

From what I can see the ARL is currently involved in coordinating some Centenary events around this and from what I can see there are some pretty exciting things happening.

I'm fairly happy to wait to see at this point - Have some faith, people.

mtngry

Juniors
I think I would watch France or PNG play anyone.. Am hoping to get a box if they come to Newie or Gosford.

Thomas

First Grade
Yeah, apart from the one article in a newspaper I have seen or heard nothing.

To put it in perspective, the 2003RUWC was marketted and advertised for a couple of years before the actual event.

You build up people's interest in the game and you reap the rewards.

Sad to say I am starting to think that apart from the games between the big 3, I can't see too many people turning out for the games.

How bad would it be to be a fan from the UK trying to work out accomodation etc when you don't know where the games are going to be held!!

Thomas said:
Yeah, apart from the one article in a newspaper I have seen or heard nothing.

I hate to be the defender of the faith or something... but come on, there is over a year to go.

There is still plenty of time - and as I have posted above - the qualifications aren't yet completed. That's the RLIF's fault not the ARL's.

Thomas said:
To put it in perspective, the 2003RUWC was marketted and advertised for a couple of years before the actual event.

You build up people's interest in the game and you reap the rewards.

Well, obivously. But I'll say it once again - for the RLWC, PR Is the key NOT marketing -- posters and advertisements are fine when an event already has credibility (which, for better or for worse, the RUWC has). Telling people that an event that they already want to see is on and when they can buy tickets is great.

However, the RLWC is viewed with skepticism - even by RL fans. Putting ads on the tele now - in amongst two other large sporting events - when two of the qualifiers aren't even finalised won't help this and will be a waste of time and money.

Thomas said:
Sad to say I am starting to think that apart from the games between the big 3, I can't see too many people turning out for the games.

You may well be right but some advertisements aren't going to change that - it'll just be money into a big, black hole. The event needs to build some credibility and the PR needs to be well-managed.

It being talked about in a positive way amongst League fans - as opposed to the constant sniping and complaining - would be a good start.

Thomas said:
How bad would it be to be a fan from the UK trying to work out accomodation etc when you don't know where the games are going to be held!!

They, and we, will know in a couple of weeks. How far ahead do you need to book these things?

CumberlandAshes

I tend to agree with your points. However, and this is a big however, I am not seeing these PR efforts eventuate. I think people are still pretty unsure that it's on and treat rugby league internationally as a farce. (Why that exists I have no idea - the product itself has never been better!! Trinations final 06 for example). But this culture of bagging international rl has to be smashed for the RLWC to succeed.

We really, and by this I mean the ARL, need to be using the vehicles of CH9 and the murdoch press to push awareness forward. The footy show etc is a great way to get people talking about it. It has to be done as the first point in promoting the cup in my opinion.

Thomas

First Grade
cumberlandsashes81 said:
I hate to be the defender of the faith or something... but come on, there is over a year to go.

Yes true.

There is still plenty of time - and as I have posted above - the qualifications aren't yet completed. That's the RLIF's fault not the ARL's.

You can see how some people are getting nervous though...

Well, obivously. But I'll say it once again - for the RLWC, PR Is the key NOT marketing -- posters and advertisements are fine when an event already has credibility (which, for better or for worse, the RUWC has). Telling people that an event that they already want to see is on and when they can buy tickets is great.

However, the RLWC is viewed with skepticism - even by RL fans. Putting ads on the tele now - in amongst two other large sporting events - when two of the qualifiers aren't even finalised won't help this and will be a waste of time and money.

It doesn't have to be a huge flashy ad, mate. Just something reminding people that it is on. A quick 10 second ad announcing it. Seriously, apart from the diehards, I doubt it if the average supporter knows it is on.

It being talked about in a positive way amongst League fans - as opposed to the constant sniping and complaining - would be a good start.

Indeed. But going on how some fans treat the international game...this probably won't stop for a long time.

They, and we, will know in a couple of weeks. How far ahead do you need to book these things?

Who knows, but I have heard some grumbling at TotalRL.com about the event from the pommies who want to book hotels, flights etc and time off.

Mind you...they whinge at the drop of a hat :lol:

International RL said:
We really, and by this I mean the ARL, need to be using the vehicles of CH9 and the murdoch press to push awareness forward. The footy show etc is a great way to get people talking about it. It has to be done as the first point in promoting the cup in my opinion.

I agree totally (as the rights holder it's in Nine's interest to want to build the profile) - the event has to be talked about and credibility built before we start bombarding people with ads about how wonderful it will be. Things like talking about how strong the Tongan and Samoan squads will be will help enormously, for example.

As far as I can see, the ARL are firming up which venues will be used and then confirming the games that will be played there after the final teams have qualified -- that's then we can all start building a profile for the event. With a year to go there is plenty of time. I'm quite sure we'll see heaps of things about it at the beginning of 2008 as the Centenary celebrations kick off.

I really think people are developing unrealistic expectations as to how big this event is and how visible the event should be to the public over a year out from the opening ceremony. As far as I'm concerned they still have the time to build the event up and I have every reason to believe it will be a reasonable success.

Sorry if that sounds naive...

couerdelion

Juniors
cumberlandsashes81 said:
. It is over a year away - they don't know who all the qualifiers are yet - and it's not exactly as big as the Olympics.

I bought my RUWC tickets in dec 05. 21 months before the first game kicks off.

They didn't know all the qualifiers either.

and yes I know it will be rubbish as it's rugby union :oops:

Coastbloke

Bench
No reply as yet, but it's only been a couple of days...

I'd say they're doing a ask around at the ARL office as to what's this World Cup this guy's on about......

couerdelion said:
I bought my RUWC tickets in dec 05. 21 months before the first game kicks off.

They didn't know all the qualifiers either.

Well hazzah for the IRB. Considering the RUWC is the event that keeps everyone in your sport fat and giggly then no wonder. As you know it's simply not the same in RL - where club competitions rule the roost.

Perth Red

Post Whore
Bit of a cheek asking the WARL to front up 300 grand just to host a game! Surely they should be looking at what places they can use the WC to develop the game as the ARU did for their WC.

deluded pom?

Coach
cumberlandsashes81 said:
Well hazzah for the IRB. Considering the RUWC is the event that keeps everyone in your sport fat and giggly then no wonder. As you know it's simply not the same in RL - where club competitions rule the roost.

That's a bit naughty there ca81. Having a dig at someone who gives us info about rugby LEAGUE in Ireland. It's not his/her fault if they've only just seen the light. He/she was just stating a fact.