What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

My Master Super Plan

DangerMouse_007

Juniors
NEWSFLASH - This thread is 100% sarcasm. I'm sick of hearing people bitch and moan about all the topics listed above without actually elaborating on them. I read some clown on here say that advertising more would be a magic tonic for the NRL. He didn't bother addressing issues like what other area would have to suffer financially to fund the campaign, what the key message of it would be, who it would be targeted at or what it would need to achieve. Putting on an ad campaign is really hard. You have to do a lot of research and have specific goals in mind when doing it. Its not as simple as just going "lets get Beyonce to do Simply the Best." I'm sure that would be entertaining but would it actually attract new fans? Could we attract more new fans by putting that money into junior football, giving away free tickets or even putting the money into a pool to lure clubs to relocate? To answer these questions you'd access to market research and financial information. The point is its all a big balancing act and there isn't some limitless supply of cash.

What really gets me though is that people have the arrogance to think they actually have easy solutions to these problems the NRL somehow can't see. Yes there may be good ideas out there but most of them have drawbacks and adverse side effects. People make out like Gallop's job is easy and they could step into his shoes and rescue the game. Thats just not possible. Things happen slowly and some things can't be overcome. Accept this. Running the NRL is like being in politics. Everything you do always upsets someone.

NEWSFLASH - This thread is 100% sarcasm. I'm sick of hearing people bitch and moan about all the topics listed above without actually elaborating on them. I read some clown on here say that advertising more would be a magic tonic for the NRL. He didn't bother addressing issues like what other area would have to suffer financially to fund the campaign, what the key message of it would be, who it would be targeted at or what it would need to achieve. Putting on an ad campaign is really hard. You have to do a lot of research and have specific goals in mind when doing it. Its not as simple as just going "lets get Beyonce to do Simply the Best." I'm sure that would be entertaining but would it actually attract new fans? Could we attract more new fans by putting that money into junior football, giving away free tickets or even putting the money into a pool to lure clubs to relocate? To answer these questions you'd access to market research and financial information. The point is its all a big balancing act and there isn't some limitless supply of cash.

What really gets me though is that people have the arrogance to think they actually have easy solutions to these problems the NRL somehow can't see. Yes there may be good ideas out there but most of them have drawbacks and adverse side effects. People make out like Gallop's job is easy and they could step into his shoes and rescue the game. Thats just not possible. Things happen slowly and some things can't be overcome. Accept this. Running the NRL is like being in politics. Everything you do always upsets someone.

err, that's a load of bollocks.

The NRL are at the beck and call of News Ltd, the 50% owner of the NRL. Gallop is a lackey and doesn't have either the balls or the authority to make a decision that his lord and masters won't like.

For example, radio rights.

Does anyone with a sound mind really believe that the current radio rights situation helps Rugby League?

Yet the people who have the ability to do something about it, won't.

Gutsy

Juniors
I just want to know HOW you're going to boost crowds. More people would already go to the game if they wanted to.

Timmah

LeagueUnlimited News Editor
Staff member
I saw through the first post as a piss-take on all of mark123's threads without reading any responses... and I can't believe anybody took him seriously :lol:

scuzzi

Juniors
whilst this thread is quite hilarious, im gonna actually have a go at promoting ideas HOW we can change the game for the better.

1st. Do not let broadcasters dictate scheduling. Less Saturday night games, more Sunday arvo games. Families would rather go to watch a game on Sunday arvo, than saturday night. Scrap Monday night football. TV ratings shouldn't be the priority, crowds should be.

2nd. Sydney teams should get scheduling priority. Although the Broncos hate playing saturday nights, they will still get crowds unlike Sydney teams. Local derbys in Sydney HAVE TO be played Sunday arvo, at local grounds. This might mean incentives from the NRL not to play at ANZ, whether it be financial incentives or scheduling incentives. eg. If sharks want to play at ANZ, and tigers want to play at Leichart but both want to play sunday arvo, scheduling priority should go to tigers.

3rd. Next time tv rights are negotiated, seperate Origin from NRL season. The NRL also need to break away from this channel 9 relationship they got going. Encourage 10 and 7 to make offers and take them seriously. It seems NRL give priority to 9 because of loyalty, and therefore they offer less. The NRL are the ones with the negotiating power when it comes to tv rights, its time to exploit that.

thats all i can think of. feel free to say my ideas are crap, but back it up with your own ideas/ways to improve.

Timmah

LeagueUnlimited News Editor
Staff member
1st. Do not let broadcasters dictate scheduling. Less Saturday night games, more Sunday arvo games. Families would rather go to watch a game on Sunday arvo, than saturday night. Scrap Monday night football. TV ratings shouldn't be the priority, crowds should be.
Flawed. For the simple reason that the market for television and advertising through that medium is the single biggest money-maker for the game. The NRL views it as too big of a risk. TV ratings and the money from them are guaranteed, big crowds aren't.
2nd. Sydney teams should get scheduling priority. Although the Broncos hate playing saturday nights, they will still get crowds unlike Sydney teams. Local derbys in Sydney HAVE TO be played Sunday arvo, at local grounds. This might mean incentives from the NRL not to play at ANZ, whether it be financial incentives or scheduling incentives. eg. If sharks want to play at ANZ, and tigers want to play at Leichart but both want to play sunday arvo, scheduling priority should go to tigers.
Screw Brisbane over with scheduling, and eventually their fans will say f*ck you and stop turning up. You are right about the NRL chipping in though - for big marquee suburban matches i.e. Wests v Souths at Leichhardt, Manly v Parra @ Brookie or Parra, the NRL should underwrite match day costs and take a bit of pressure off the clubs.
3rd. Next time tv rights are negotiated, seperate Origin from NRL season. The NRL also need to break away from this channel 9 relationship they got going. Encourage 10 and 7 to make offers and take them seriously. It seems NRL give priority to 9 because of loyalty, and therefore they offer less. The NRL are the ones with the negotiating power when it comes to tv rights, its time to exploit that.
The corruption with which the most recent deals were organised and the people involved with the signing it need to be well and truly gone before any competition for the TV rights happens. Same with the radio - I fear we'll see "exclusive rights" remain for a long time to come.

I largely agree.

The NRL is the sex toy of the media. Pack every suburban stadium for every game and the NRL won't make as much money as they will from the media - and this is with the fact that News screws the NRL begins it negotiates a good price for itself!

But, underwriting ground costs for Clubs. I heard Steve Noyce say playing at Leichardt costs 55k as a set-up fee. If that's taken as an average then it's 225k each week for Sydney Clubs alone. That's $5.4mil for a season in Sydney. The NRL won't pay that without cutting Club grants, which just nullifies the action.

We need to find some way to buy out News Ltd. Can this actually be done, though? How much would it cost, how would we get this money and would News actually sell and give up its stranglehold?

I have an idea!

Why don't all the people on this forum that have ideas, write them down on an email and send them through to people that can actually action these ideas. It would save this forum from being polluted with ideas that have already been discussed 1000 times before.

Yes I know that the NRL won't listen and it'll probably be a pointless exercise sending them in there, but it'll save the rest of us on this forum from having to skip over several threads each and every time we check into the mainpage. It'll also save the person who writes the email from copping a barrage from all the other posters. Send this stuff in and p!ss David Gallop off. He's the one that can actually do something about it.

mark123

Juniors
Big Mick, don't assume that danger mouse has nothing.

Im sure he came up with these issues all by himself while he was sitting on his lounge. He will solve all of league's problems very shortly.

I can't wait to see what he has for us to learn.

dangermouse, as you may have read, they gave me a heap of trouble for being brave enough to speak up about rl's future.

keep at it, man, these guys are harmless. develop your ideas, and see how you can make them work.

mark123

Juniors
A plan would involve you outlining how you intended to achieve these goals. You've just rattled off a list of 'wants' with no thought as to how to attain them. That's not a plan at all. It's a f**king shopping list.

Here's my plan:

- Nail Scarlett Johannsen
- Become a millionaire
- Win the British Open
- Win the Australian Open
- Time travel
- Cure Aids
- Invent new, more lethal strain of aids. Give it to people who make baseless lists and pawn them off as plans. Hold cure for myself to cover obvious hypocrisy.

I love it!!!

Brilliant plan!!

Your zest for life is infectious!

I love the scarlet johanson thing, i dont care if i spelt her name right, man, its not like we are getting married....

but i reckon it would be funny if you invented new aids, infected her with it, nah, your a quack....poor scarlett. but yeah, thats infectious too!!

mark123

Juniors
My master plan is for the game to be brilliant and never have a care in the world again.

There you go this is easy, who needs a CEO or board?

I dont want to blow my own horn....but when I was poor I had problems, and when I had slightly more money to get by, I had problems too, and since I became well off and didnt really have to worry about money at all forever basically, I STILL HAVE PROBLEMS!!!!!

Problems are a fact of life. Rich, poor, just a different set of problems, and indeed some are the same...
_________

Announcement:::

HAS ANYONE READ MY SUPER PLAN???

I have 2 threads worth of super plans just waiting to be sucked up by your eager brains....thats over 400 replies, and with over 3,000 views.

Its full of all the super-plan goodness that you all crave, and cannot do without. Where will the game be in 10 years time? Don't leave it to chance!! Find out!! With my super-threaded SUPER!!! PLAN!!!!!!

search for question time with mark123....and Unlike the NRL, I have a plan....

No super thread can compare, and brings on mild feelings of pain in comparison....try them today!!!

Latest posts