What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

My personal note to LG

LOYAL DRAGON

First Grade
While it was short, i thought it was all that needed to be said.

"In light of your company?s decision to end your association with the Cronulla Sharks, i would like to take this opportunity to inform you that i will to be ending my association with your company. For many years i have chosen your products (even though, often, they are the inferior choice) just to have the opportunity to support not only LG by my beloved footy team. I had an LG phone for 2 years and all i got from that was poor reception and even poorer features, but i stuck with it.
I have spoken to several other Sharks fans and they will all be doing the same. The new TV i was going to buy is definitely not going to be an LG and my family members will never again purchase your dodgy mobile phones".
I had to vent my frustration with this season somewhere.
LG are going to so gutted.
reality mate, Bad Publicity = bad Business.
Lg have a right to protect there name, even if there Brand is sh*t

While it was short, i thought it was all that needed to be said.

"In light of your company?s decision to end your association with the Cronulla Sharks, i would like to take this opportunity to inform you that i will to be ending my association with your company. For many years i have chosen your products (even though, often, they are the inferior choice) just to have the opportunity to support not only LG by my beloved footy team. I had an LG phone for 2 years and all i got from that was poor reception and even poorer features, but i stuck with it.
I have spoken to several other Sharks fans and they will all be doing the same. The new TV i was going to buy is definitely not going to be an LG and my family members will never again purchase your dodgy mobile phones".
I had to vent my frustration with this season somewhere.

How LG will read it.

Dear LG,

For 8 years I bought your product because you paid my club money to get advertising space. You will no longer be buying that space and I will no longer be buying your product. You have lost absolutely nothing.

Cheers,
Sharkie

I've read several comments now basically saying that people bought LG products that they thought were inferior while LG were sponsoring the Sharks because they were sponsoring the Sharks. Basically, this means that they're losing nothing or at most very little.

They're losing revenue that the advertising was getting basically by itself. They're not losing revenue that they would have had despite the advertisement. It's the second thing that would actually make them change their minds about the decision. The first thing is an opportunity cost that would be compensated by spending the sponsorship dollars on other advertising.

A boycott from people who wouldn't buy the product anyway is a very ineffective tool.

adamkungl

Immortal
some good news guys

http://sharks.com.au/default.aspx?s=article-display&id=16685

Sharks join forces with InterPark

Thursday, May 21, 2009
Amidst difficult economic times and negative press speculation as to the financial health of the club, the Sharks are pleased to announce a new sponsorship agreement with InterPark, Australia’s newest major car park manager.
The first piece of good financial news in some time, Sharks officials were hoping the new sponsorship signing would mark the changing of the tide.
“We are extremely pleased InterPark has thrown their support behind the Sharks and we hope it will lead to a long and fruitful partnership between us,” Sharks Chairman Barry Piece said. “It has been well documented that times are tough at present, with this new sponsorship arrangement certainly a positive development.”
InterPark Managing Director Peter Stewart, a long time Sutherland Shire Resident and Sharks fan, was pleased to be able to lend the support of his company in what is a time of need.
“We are delighted to have the opportunity to assist the club at this difficult time,” Mr Stewart said. “We believe the Sharks to be a club with genuine integrity who have been extremely proactive in dealing with any player behavioural issues in recent years.
“We look forward to developing a relationship with the club which will lead to much larger sponsorships in the years ahead.”
At this stage the InterPark sponsorship is for the remainder of the 2009 season, with the Stewart and the Sharks to explore the possibility of extending and expanding the arrangement into the future.
InterPark is Australia’s newest major car park manager and currently manages facilities in Sydney, Melbourne and Newcastle, with the company reporting very strong growth despite the economic downturn.
During what are well publicised financial concerns for the Sharks, Stewart encouraged other Sharks supporters to follow InterPark’s lead.
“We’d certainly encourage other business people living in the area to get involved with supporting the club,” Stewart said.

How LG will read it.

Dear LG,

For 8 years I bought your product because you paid my club money to get advertising space. You will no longer be buying that space and I will no longer be buying your product. You have lost absolutely nothing.

Cheers,
Sharkie

I've read several comments now basically saying that people bought LG products that they thought were inferior while LG were sponsoring the Sharks because they were sponsoring the Sharks. Basically, this means that they're losing nothing or at most very little.

They're losing revenue that the advertising was getting basically by itself. They're not losing revenue that they would have had despite the advertisement. It's the second thing that would actually make them change their minds about the decision. The first thing is an opportunity cost that would be compensated by spending the sponsorship dollars on other advertising.

A boycott from people who wouldn't buy the product anyway is a very ineffective tool.

You are so wrong!

LG have an advertising and marketing budget.
They will put the dollars they were spending at the Sharks elsewhere.

Most Sharks fans will be putting their dollars elsewhere than with LG now.
They will lose out.

The assumption that LG would lose sales because they sponsor the Sharks is ridiculous! Can anyone honestly believe that someone would say "Well it's a choice between LG and Panasonic." "I think I swing to Panasonic because LG sponsor the Sharks and they've been having bad publicity lately." I think LG were just looking for an excuse to pull out.

Frenzy.

Immortal
You are so wrong!

They will lose out.

The assumption that LG would lose sales because they sponsor the Sharks is ridiculous! Can anyone honestly believe that someone would say "Well it's a choice between LG and Panasonic." "I think I swing to Panasonic because LG sponsor the Sharks and they've been having bad publicity lately." I think LG were just looking for an excuse to pull out.

Jeepers creepers this is scary but once again I find myself agreeing with you DS. I posted something similar a few days ago. LG products don't come with a tag saying proud sponsor of the Sharks. Probably only emotive and angry Sharks fans would cut off their noses to spite their faces.

Are the same fans now going to boycott Miranda Westfield for the same reason - they pulled their sponsorship. Would barely even be possible to cut Westfields out of your lives

Same with LG. If they still market their product well, bung on the right reductions etc etc even Sharks fans will still buy their stuff.

A better protest would be not to give them free advertising by even talking about them.

You are so wrong!

They will lose out.

So they will lose Sharks fans' custom. Probably. Not denying it. Acknowledged it my post.

But to the extent that they are losing revenue, they are also cutting down on expenses. At the end of the day if all they are losing are Sharks fans who only bought LG because they sponsored the Sharks, then they'll almost certainly make up with those lost sales with advertising dollars spent elsewhere.

1. Even if they were looking for an excuse, it's not as if they need one. They're simply not renewing the contract. Sponsorships change all of the time.

2. Being associated with negative press probably causes some direct loss of sales. How much, I haven't a clue but clearly if we think that people bought LG because they sponsored the Sharks then we'd be foolish to think that people don't avoid LG for the same reason to some extent.

More to the point though, sponsorship advertising is generally about getting exposure. You don't often advertise specific profits or brands via sports sponsorships, it's about brand recognition. When the team is associated with negative publicity then the value of the sponsorship is diminished.

Finally, anybody signing a major contract with the Sharks would have to acknowledge the credit risk. If they pay now, will they get to appear on the front of the jersey of a team that isn't playing?

Special K

Coach
I won't be getting any more LG stuff..

I hope they have thought this out fully. Pulling the pin and sending us broke could ruin their brand to a large amount of people. Pulling it now is probably the worst thing they could of done imo. If they wanted to get out they should of kept things to themselves for a tad longer.

Last edited:

Weaponhead

Coach
It is a great opportunity for a Sony, Panasonic etc to come in and take over the sponsorship. It would get huge media coverage and allow them to get one up on LG.

The Popper

Bench
True, but as Andrew Moore just said on Fox - who in their right mind would be entering financial dealings with Cronulla in their current situation?

Bereft Skerrick

Juniors
I have something to do with LG due to my work. Note I'm not LG and am not employed by them.

Last year on their main index page on their website they had rolling pictures, one of whom was Lance Thompson (it still remained after he'd retired) in reference to their "proud sponsorship of the Sharks".

I checked today after the announcement and found that they still proclaim their sponsorship of the Sharks under "Sponsorship" and where it is on their site hasn't changed because of recent events. See http://au.lge.com/experience/main.jhtml and http://au.lge.com/experience/sponsor/sponsorlgthesports.jsp for examples.

I said on another forum that the loss in domestic sales for LG is a drop in the ocean compared to all of the domestic sales LG make all over the world. Their image is that of a family brand. Buy their products. Don't buy their products. I don't think the complaints of few from a smaller insignificant market will reach anywhere other than their Customer Care team who may have a good chuckle about the indignation.

Sure, you can be cynical and say it's because of the economic crisis. But they held whilst a lot of manure was being flung. It's just this time the stench was too much.

And I seriously doubt that other electronics companies will take up the breach. Panasonic has been making staff redundant, as have Sony. LG also target different markets to Sony or Panasonic. LG does a lot of whitegoods on top of electronics.

Samsung already sponsors the Roosters and they are the closest in range to LG.