What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

My rant on Manly/Des Hasler incident

mave

Coach
I heard Des has started with the Dogs, and Toovey is now coaching Manly. I can't reveal my source though.

Timmah

LeagueUnlimited News Editor
Staff member
While as far as most are concerned, the issue is now resolved, questions surely still remain about the actions and professionalism of the Manly board.

This isn't just a coach who (deservedly) asked for a pay rise and didn't get it deciding to leave, there was staff who also defected. Players are clearly disappointed and down the track we may well see one or two in blue & white.

Some might disagree but anyone who managed two premierships within four seasons at the same club (which would have possibly been three or even four had the Storm not rorted the comp) deserves a pay rise.

Talons

Juniors
While as far as most are concerned, the issue is now resolved, questions surely still remain about the actions and professionalism of the Manly board.

This isn't just a coach who (deservedly) asked for a pay rise and didn't get it deciding to leave, there was staff who also defected. Players are clearly disappointed and down the track we may well see one or two in blue & white.

Some might disagree but anyone who managed two premierships within four seasons at the same club (which would have possibly been three or even four had the Storm not rorted the comp) deserves a pay rise.

All fair points Timmah...but at the end of the day Des and the club couldn't see eye to eye. It may have been for financial reasons or a clash of personalities, I don't think anyone will ever truly know.

Going forward...Tooves is on a hiding to nothing. If he doesn't make the GF, the typical assassins will be out to knife him in the back. If he manages to get the boy's to the top of the table everyone will say it was on the back of Haslers previous work...I prefer to judge things over time, just like letting Hodkinson go in favour of Cherry Evans.

typicalfan

Coach

You could probably relate a little to the Bulldogs/Kevin Moore story. I doubt Hasler left for money alone, if it is a clash of personalities especially. He will soon learn pretty much all boards are pretty much the same. Why would they be so much different?

Cloudsurfer

Juniors

Does anyone know...
Was it the same team that played 4 years ago (apart from DCE & Foran) who played this season past ?
Did the players value go up with the first premiership of this 4-year period & hence get a pay rise?
What were the players all being paid this past season?
And what is the likely scenario of player value & salary cap issues for next season after winning the premiership again?
I'm wondering whether the implosion is a symptom of something more

Just wondering as the only other clubs I have heard of doing similar over a short period of time & boards imploding etc have been the Bulldogs & Storm. Maybe Des & co are getting out so he doesn't cop any flak? I am assuming he doesn't get paid under the cap but s*** sticks if you are part of anything like that whether innocent or not.
I know I'll get shot down for suggesting it but wanted to raise this as a possible scenario
Putting on my armour as I speak...

firechild

First Grade
Does anyone know...
Was it the same team that played 4 years ago (apart from DCE & Foran) who played this season past ?

Steve Menzies, Steve Bell, Adam Cuthbertson, Glenn Hall, Mark Bryant, Luke Williamson have all gone.

Did the players value go up with the first premiership of this 4-year period & hence get a pay rise?

Some, yes, some, no, some their value has gone down with their age (eg. Brent Kite)

That's anyone's guess.

And what is the likely scenario of player value & salary cap issues for next season after winning the premiership again?

Hopoate, DCE and Foran are the 3 that are likely to go up in value. Hoppa is gone, DCE is looking at an upgraded offer and Foran's value would have gone up.

Anything to take the focus off the cheating scum eh?

Just wondering as the only other clubs I have heard of doing similar over a short period of time & boards imploding etc have been the Bulldogs & Storm. Maybe Des & co are getting out so he doesn't cop any flak? I am assuming he doesn't get paid under the cap but s*** sticks if you are part of anything like that whether innocent or not.
I know I'll get shot down for suggesting it but wanted to raise this as a possible scenario

Typical scum supporter, start pointing the finger at others to take the heat of your own club.

Cloudsurfer

Juniors
Steve Menzies, Steve Bell, Adam Cuthbertson, Glenn Hall, Mark Bryant, Luke Williamson have all gone.

Some, yes, some, no, some their value has gone down with their age (eg. Brent Kite)

That's anyone's guess.

Hopoate, DCE and Foran are the 3 that are likely to go up in value. Hoppa is gone, DCE is looking at an upgraded offer and Foran's value would have gone up.

Anything to take the focus off the cheating scum eh?

Typical scum supporter, start pointing the finger at others to take the heat of your own club.

Believe I mentioned Storm & was just putting forward a possible scenario because there seems to be more behind this than whats coming out - could be well off the mark I'll admit. Actually your response to the questions did more to negate that scenario than the obligatory insult at the end.

firechild

First Grade
It's a shame that Storm fans can't just admit their club cheated and move on. They have to take every opportunity presented to start pointing fingers at other clubs. The fact that Manly had so many rookies (DCE, Hopoate, Lussick, Oldfield, Buhrer, Robinson as well as Foran in his 2nd full season) suggests that they would have been well and truly under the cap. They had some big names though as recent reports suggest, the Stewarts are being paid under market value at Manly but at the same time, they had some blokes like King, Rose and Robertson who aren't highly paid (or highly rated) players that just performed exceptionally throughout the season.

Cloudsurfer

Juniors
It's a shame that Storm fans can't just admit their club cheated and move on. They have to take every opportunity presented to start pointing fingers at other clubs. The fact that Manly had so many rookies (DCE, Hopoate, Lussick, Oldfield, Buhrer, Robinson as well as Foran in his 2nd full season) suggests that they would have been well and truly under the cap. They had some big names though as recent reports suggest, the Stewarts are being paid under market value at Manly but at the same time, they had some blokes like King, Rose and Robertson who aren't highly paid (or highly rated) players that just performed exceptionally throughout the season.

I think the majority do admit it & have moved on mate. just some thick ones like Butters & co that bite or provoke all the time. Wasn't 'pointing the finger' - Not up with who's who player-wise etc for other clubs at this point is all, but learning. Just asked if it was a possibility & you've more than adequately answered that for me in the first post & more indepth in this one. Puts more perspective to it for me & the question won't arise again.

Talons

Juniors
Does anyone know...

Sorry it took me awhile to understand what you were getting at.

I don't think that Manly have been rorting the cap and to be quite honest it's hardly fair to suggest they have, not even the most ardent Manly bashers have tried to use that as an excuse for Des going to the Dog's.

One thing I do know is that it would be just as easy for me to try and paint Des as the villain (which I'm not) as for you to try and slander the club. People decide to cut ties in various situations and for various reasons everyday of the week...when you've been around long enough, maybe you'll realise it can be as simple as two parties just having a gut full of each other.

Cloudsurfer

Juniors
Sorry it took me awhile to understand what you were getting at.

I don't think that Manly have been rorting the cap and to be quite honest it's hardly fair to suggest they have, not even the most ardent Manly bashers have tried to use that as an excuse for Des going to the Dog's.

One thing I do know is that it would be just as easy for me to try and paint Des as the villain (which I'm not) as for you to try and slander the club. People decide to cut ties in various situations and for various reasons everyday of the week...when you've been around long enough, maybe you'll realise it can be as simple as two parties just having a gut full of each other.

Wasn't my intention, just airing a possibility and imo it has been reasonably & fairly negated. being on the outside looking in raises these types of questions & i'd rather ask them, be answered in a rational manner, than continue to wonder. happy to leave it at that, accepting the explanation & my viewpoint clarified/changed

Rockin Ronny

Juniors
Likewise Manly fans taking their anger and frustration out on Canterbury instead of their own club. Butt hurt, because you all KNOW how good Des is as a coach

You know - I'm looking forward to 2012.
I hope the Bulldogs have a great year - matched by Manly's plunge down the ladder and evntual bankruptcy.

What fun!

Talons

Juniors
You know - I'm looking forward to 2012.
I hope the Bulldogs have a great year - matched by Manly's plunge down the ladder and evntual bankruptcy.

What fun!

Jumping on the Bulldogs bandwagon.
I thought you'd stick solid with your own team..oops I forgot :shock:

Latest posts