What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Myles a jack of all trades (from the Bully)

nqboy

First Grade
Myles a jack of all trades
By ADAM GARDINI
14feb04
NORTH Queensland Cowboys utility David Myles knows all about the pros and cons of versatility.

In his initial year with the Cowboys last year he was shifted between wing, centre and five-eighth before eventually cementing a spot in the No. 6 jersey for the majority of the season.

His immense utility value ultimately led to him ending the year as one of only a few players to feature in all 24 Cowboys matches as an integral part of the team's success.

However, with high-profile recruit Travis Norton coming into the picture as the club's pivot this season and with a backline chock- full of State-of-Origin representatives, Myles is again faced with the prospect of being used in a versatile role off the bench.

"I've been told that Travis is going to be starting the year at five-eighth and my role is going to be of utility value," Myles said.

"It's not a case of being forgotten but a case of learning a few other positions.

"It works two ways -- a lot of times it gets frustrating because you can't consolidate one spot but then it's an advantage to be able to play all different spots.

"I'm pretty confident that I've still got a lot to offer the team."

Despite knowing Norton will begin the season with the No. 6 jersey, the 26-year-old still jumped at the chance to play five-eighth in the Cowboys' opening trial match against the Central Comets in Rockhampton tonight.

"Michael Meigan was going to play (tonight) but had to pull out with an ankle injury and when I went to Mylesy and explained Travis would be at five-eighth the following week, I asked if he would like to have a go this week and he said he'd love to," coach Graham Murray said.

"That's where he finished last year and I was very happy with his contribution last year."

In a bid to fit Myles into the first-grade squad this season, Murray indicated he may even use him in the forwards off the bench.

"I wouldn't be against playing him in the backrow at a pinch," he said.

"He's a modern-day footballer who just wants to be a part of the 17."

Myles, who is a possibility of being named at centre for the club's National Rugby League-sanctioned trial against Manly in Cairns next Friday night, said he and the entire squad were excited about taking the field tonight.

"We've been training for a while and this time of year everyone's keen," Myles said.

"There's even been a few big hits at training lately."

An 18-man Cowboys squad flew to Rockhampton yesterday with only one change to the team named earlier in the week.

Youngster Drew Campbell comes into the side on a five-man bench in place of Dean Payne, who was ruled out with a minor knee injury.

Murray said he would use all 18 players at different stages during the match with unlimited interchange rules applying for the re-opening of an improved Browne Park.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

That should put to rest all the conjecture about who will play 5/8. With his versatility and support play, Myles is a tremendous team player and hopefully will find a spot somewhere in the 17.