What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Nathan Blacklock, a true Red and White Legend

Southernsaint

Staff member
From Jubilee Ave: http://dragons.rleague.com/news/index.php?id=16720

Comment: Nathan Blacklock, a true Red and White Legend

Fri Aug 13, 9:26am (NSW)
Written by: Michael Carayannis
Source: Jubilee Ave

In one of the sadest day since the inception of the Joint-venture team, Dragons starwalt Nathan Blacklock will leave the club at the end of 2004 to sign a two-year deal with Hull in the English Super League.

As some of you may know, Nathan Blacklock is my favourite Dragon to ever have laced on a boot. Since his debut St.George debut in 1997, the man they call “Tingha” has put a smile upon many peoples face.

It was 1998 and I started to become “mates” with Tingha. I’d see him after every game and have a talk to him about footy and the team in general. One thing which made Tingha different from every other player was that he was interested in me. He’d ask me how my footy was going, he’d ask me how school was going…Tingha cared.

In a career that has seen him top the Dally M top try-scorer for 3 consecutive years, he has produced many great Dragon moments. My top 4 Tingha moments include

“The Back-flip” In 1999 at Kogarah Oval, Blacklock, and team-mate Anthony Mundine decided to bring abit of fun back into footy. After racking-up a massive score line, Tingha celebrated with a summersault and back flip which started the trend for many seasons to come.

“The Conversion” The match was against the Warriors at WIN Stadium. Tingha had been given the kicking duties. A possible Dragons try had been set upstairs to the video ref, without knowing this, Tingha proceeded to take the kick for goal and subsequently missed. The referee informed Tingha that the try had not yet been awarded. In typical Blacklock style, he converted the goal was his proper attempt.

“That Kick” At Leichhardt Oval, the Dragons are down with only a few seconds left on the clock. John Simon goes go for 40 metre drop-goal and misses. The Dragons spread the ball wide early and find their man, Nathan Blacklock. He accelerates past his winger, chips over the fullbacks head and regathers to score adjacent to the post…the Dragons win the game…That is the magic that Tingha can produce

“1999 Grand Final” Fullback Luke Patten had been taken off early in the first-half, so the Dragons called upon the out-of-form Blacklock to move from the wing to fullback. At half-way he pounces on a grubber and accelerates through the Storm line-up to score under the post...

After his sojourn in Rugby we all knew that the real Tingha would come back to us. The Rugby people got to see a glimpse of Tingha brilliance with that try he scored at Aussie Stadium, but that was nothing compared to the athleticism we have seen since 1997.

These are just 4 of the everlasting memoires that Tingha has left us with. He is not only a great Dragon, but he is a credit to all Australian’s. One of the greatest players never to wear the Sky Blue, but with two Green and Gold appearances, Tingha will go down as one of the best ever wingers to play Rugby League.

Tingha, the season isn’t over yet there are still plenty of tries and back flips to come…Tingha you are a TRUE legend of the game and I would like to thank you on behalf of all Dragon fans!

Here, here.

Football keeps evolving. I thought I'd never get over Ricky Walford's departure, now it's Tingha's turn. All the very best for the rest of your career & life, mate.

Cheers,
Ben S.

MC

Juniors
Thanks mate

" I read Michael Carayannis' article on Nathan Blacklock and felt the passion in the words.

First of all - I'm a black & white supporter - you know Airlie Birds? - you know FC? - Old Faithful? - oh alright Hull.

It's been a long time since Hull FC attracted the likes of Peter Stirling, James Leuluai and Dane O'Hara to the Boulevard (or Kingston Communications Stadium where we play now). True we brough Des Hassler, Royce Simmons, Noel Cleal and others in the twilight of their careers as well. Tony Grimaldi was another who gave his all. But whoever it is, if they put in the blood week in, week out we take them to our hearts. Jason Smith is a hero who has only played a handful of game over two seasons due to injury; Colin Best has been great fun to watch (don't be surprised if he creates a few tries for the opposition as well as scoring a few for you); Richard Swain has put in the work every game he has played and has become a favourite; and let's not forget good ol' Brian Smith who put in a little effort for us.

So, Michael, don't worry about Nathan, we'll look after him for you. He'll be in the safe hands of "the faithful".

Cheers
Keiran Moses

P.S. Tom McCabe never played for us - but recognise the jersey? I know it was maroon and white, but Hull liked the look of the Kangaroos tourists' kit and kept it (I think I might have made that up)."

An email i received from a pommy regarding tingha

et

Juniors
In amongst my trolling, I'll give that article a :clap: - very nicely written. I've still got a Boots n All tape from the week after he left for union, where they showed some of his highlights, and you won't see much better rugby league than that. There's a great scene at the end where they show him streaking away for the 99 grand final try with Blink 182 singing in the background, "Forever and ever, let's make it last forever..." That try was the best I've seen.

Rexxy

Coach
et said:
In amongst my trolling, I'll give that article a :clap: - very nicely written. I've still got a Boots n All tape from the week after he left for union, where they showed some of his highlights, and you won't see much better rugby league than that. There's a great scene at the end where they show him streaking away for the 99 grand final try with Blink 182 singing in the background, "Forever and ever, let's make it last forever..." That try was the best I've seen.

Fitness pending, Blacklock is someone I would have in my first grade side during the semis. He's got so much experience, and he's playing himself into form after injury.

Its not a sentimental decision. It makes sense.

DevilDragon

Juniors
Fitness pending, Blacklock is someone I would have in my first grade side during the semis. He's got so much experience, and he's playing himself into form after injury.

Its not a sentimental decision. It makes sense.[/quote]

Couldn't agree with you more. We need experience in the semis. It's easy for other teams skilled backlines to isolate inexperienced wingers. Melbourne continually exploited Youngquest, though he is coming along.

_Johnsy

Referee
I for one thank him for all the great moments. I also wish him all the best in his future endeavours.

Alan Shore

First Grade
That article has so much passion in it. I don't believe we've seen a greater winger in the modern era than Nathan Blacklock, a club and Test hero for the Dragons and Australia.

Nathan 'Tingha' Blacklock, I salute you.

Rex said:
et said:

Its not a sentimental decision. It makes sense.

He could be an X factor in a semi final. He is the type of bloke that could create something from nothing and win them the game. Exactly like against the Wests Tigers at Leichhardt a few years ago.

Dragons Cross

Juniors
He's not finished yet guys, I've got a feeling he's going to be on form in the finals and who know's what will happen.

C'mon Tingha you champion!