What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Nathan brown is heading souths

Nathan Brown is being tipped to return to Australia
Tuesday May 4,2010
By Martin Richards

HUDDERSFIELD coach Nathan Brown is being tipped to return to Australia in November to become assistant boss of Russell Crowe’s South Sydney.

Brown is contracted to the Giants until the end of next year but has a release clause if a suitable NRL offer comes along.

He had been linked with struggling Cronulla but Souths, whose star forward is England’s Sam Burgess, would represent a tempting proposition given that he would be in line to replace their veteran coach John Lang should he decide to retire in the next couple of years.

Souths are refusing to release Burgess for England’s one-off Test against France at Leigh next month.

New England coach Steve McNamara, whom Burgess played under at Bradford, wants him to return for the June 12 clash, which is on the same day Souths play Brisbane Broncos.

McNamara has reportedly told Burgess he is the frontrunner to replace Jamie Peacock as England skipper down the track. Burgess was happy to fly back for the French game but Souths are digging in their heels. “Sam is contracted to South Sydney and as far as we are concerned he is playing against Brisbane that weekend,” said Souths chief executive Shane Richardson. “You don’t see the UK-based Kiwis flying back for the Anzac Test.”

St Helens coach Mick Potter has emerged as a shock contender for the Bradford job, which falls vacant when McNamara takes up his England duties full-time at the end of the season.

Potter is out of contract at Saints and is not expected to look for a new deal.

http://www.express.co.uk/posts/view/173039

KKW

Juniors
If souths don't make the 8 this year Brown will probably take over sooner rather than later. How many coaches is that in the last 10 years?

murraymob

Coach
does every blade of grass at Redfern have a coach.South will have more coaches soon than players

Zigwaa

Bench
He could be good but I don't think he's what Souths need.

With the playing talent he had at his time with St George they should have wona premiership.

I'll slap some sense into ya's!

Obviously, with JT being knocked out by Fa'alogo last year, Souths have decided to pick up a coach that isn't afraid to hit back.

Seriously though, this would be the worst thing ever for South Sydney. We should be sniffing around the likes of Bellamy or Bennett and if its not possible to get them, then we should be looking at other coaches who have been successful in recent times within the NRL, i.e. Hasler or even someone like Steve Folkes. If you can't get one of those blokes, then you shoot for Bellamy or Bennetts understudy. Someone like Kearney.

Thinking that Nathan Brown has turned a corner because he has had some Superleague success is just plain stupid. Superleague is completely different to the NRL and history shows that very few successful Superleague coaches have come over and made a go of it in the NRL.

Mr Saab

Referee
If souths don't make the 8 this year Brown will probably take over sooner rather than later. How many coaches is that in the last 10 years?

Last eight yrs (seeing as they came back in 2002)

Coleman
Langmack
Kitinis
McRae
Taylor
Lang

DC_fan

Coach
I read somehwere today that Brown will be staying in England for a few more years.

madunit

Super Moderator
Staff member
The article doesn't actually say he'll be coming to Souths anyway.

I thought he had always said he would to come back to the NRL only if it were to be a first grade coach.

I don't think he'd come back just to be an assistant. Lang is a good coach. Souths need to do themselves a favour and stick with one coach for at least 3-4 seasons.

I reckon Brown will stay at Huddersfield for another season and then come back and coach the Sharks.