What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Necessary England changes

screeny

Bench
:crazy::lol:
Did you watch the game? Your forwards were beaten almost to a man. There was not one guy in the forward pack that outplayed his opposite number. Our front row chewed up the meters from you guys at will. Cam Smith had an eternity to pick up runners. Gallen made more metres than any back rower in the game. Laffranchi had only a handfull of metres less than Peacock. Kite, off the bench, had the most metres of all players and ran a total of 6m less than your ENTIRE BACK ROW!!....So please were have they been more than a match for the Aussie forwards because I cannot see it. They were found wanting big time. Go look at the stats, they are damning. The only poor performer in the Aussie pack was Stewart (and he was abysmall).

Stats shmats.

Put it in context. When the game was a contest our forwards were dominant. Price and Kite both dropped easy ball, I think Steward offloaded like a schoolboy inside his own 10, England were making easy easy metres.

The a host of other contributing factors that played out over the course of the game contributed to Australia having more possession, in better field position, which will obviously translate to better statistics.

Take the part of the game when it was a contest and Australia's forwards were second best.

We had a couple of shmucks, such as Faasavalu, who blew it for the rest of his teammates (pens and knock ons).

hellteam

First Grade
Stats shmats.

Put it in context. When the game was a contest our forwards were dominant. Price and Kite both dropped easy ball, I think Steward offloaded like a schoolboy inside his own 10, England were making easy easy metres.

The a host of other contributing factors that played out over the course of the game contributed to Australia having more possession, in better field position, which will obviously translate to better statistics.

Take the part of the game when it was a contest and Australia's forwards were second best.

We had a couple of shmucks, such as Faasavalu, who blew it for the rest of his teammates (pens and knock ons).

That was about one set of six, if that.

IAmDancingHomer

Juniors
Stats shmats.

You are a riot :lol:
If they were hard done by there still would be some equallity in the meteres/run averages. Kite killed ytour entire pack. Perry made metres and I think he was poor. Price and Civ laced your front row up. Gallen & Laffranchi were handfulls. Stewart was the only flop in the entire pack.

JasonE

Bench
Wellens is the one who attracts the most obvious criticism. He is a player who is imperious in Super League and has won Man of Steel, man of the match in both the Challenge Cup final and Grand Final before. He's not some reserve grade no mark who is thrown in at the deep end, he's the best we have by a distance and then some.

Can't agree with you there, i think Wellens is one of the most over rated players i've ever set eyes on.
He has got absolutely nothing, his positional play is terrible and even his defence is poor.
I can't remember him ever having a great game at test level, even in the 3-0 series win last year he was useless.

screeny

Bench
You are a riot :lol:
If they were hard done by there still would be some equallity in the meteres/run averages. Kite killed ytour entire pack. Perry made metres and I think he was poor. Price and Civ laced your front row up. Gallen & Laffranchi were handfulls. Stewart was the only flop in the entire pack.

Yeah, but not when it was a contest i.e. for the first 30 mins of the game.

Once we went miles behind obviously the Aussie forwards were going to get good metres as our forwards were no longer motivated.

Watch the game again and study the first 30 mins.

Our forwards were let down as a unit by Faasavalu and in general by team indiscipline that let to Australia getting the upper hand (penalties, Calderwood and Faasavalu knock ons, and a general failure to maximise field position/pressure).

screeny

Bench
Can't agree with you there, i think Wellens is one of the most over rated players i've ever set eyes on.
He has got absolutely nothing, his positional play is terrible and even his defence is poor.
I can't remember him ever having a great game at test level, even in the 3-0 series win last year he was useless.
Agreed, but even if he was good at all those things - and his tackling is very good, you can't take that away from him - he's simply too slow for int'l RL.

Tactically we get burnt purely because of his speed. he can't get to kicks quickly enough, and then he can't return them far enough before getting tackled meaning we consistently lose field position battles.

I will always remember seeing him getting virtually overtaken by Fielden in the 2000 RLWC semi v NZ. Jesus wept...any coach who keeps him in cannot, by definition, be a really good coach.

Smith is being weak keeping him.

On the bright side, I'm starting to believe in God with the news that Wilkin and Faasavalu are out injured. I wonder whether they've been dropped and spared humiliation by being allowed to be announced as crook?

nadera78

Juniors
If they are out of the tournament are we allowed to call up any replacements? Be good if we could, I'd be straight on the phone to big Louie and Jamie Rooney; we could do with a fast, aggressive prop and a half-back with a halfway decent kicking game.

screeny

Bench
If they are out of the tournament are we allowed to call up any replacements? Be good if we could, I'd be straight on the phone to big Louie and Jamie Rooney; we could do with a fast, aggressive prop and a half-back with a halfway decent kicking game.
NO, we're not allowed. I'm hoping Cam Smith and Lockyer get busted v Fiji/Ire/Sam.

IAmDancingHomer

Juniors
Yeah, but not when it was a contest i.e. for the first 30 mins of the game.

Once we went miles behind obviously the Aussie forwards were going to get good metres as our forwards were no longer motivated.

Watch the game again and study the first 30 mins.

Our forwards were let down as a unit by Faasavalu and in general by team indiscipline that let to Australia getting the upper hand (penalties, Calderwood and Faasavalu knock ons, and a general failure to maximise field position/pressure).

You arent serious are you? I see your point now. Of course they were better than the AUssies. That first 30 minutes was outstanding. Lets just forget about the other 50 minutes of the game as it isn't relevent to your argument.
Kite PWNED your forward pack. One man was the match of 3 of your forwards.....nuff said

roughyedspud

Coach
my england team for saturdays game against NZ

1. LEE SMITH
2. ADE GARDNER
3. MARTIN GLEESON
4. GARETH ELLIS
5. MARK CALDERWOOD
6. DANNY MCGUIRE
7. ROB BURROW
8. ADRIAN MORLEY
9. MICKEY HIGHAM
10.JAMES PEACOCK
11.BEN WESTWOOD
12. J.J.B
13.KEVIN SINFIELD

14. JAMES GRAHAM
15. JAMES ROBY
16. ROB PURDHAM
17. JAMIE LANGLEY

Fairleigh Good!

Juniors

1. LEE SMITH
2. ADE GARDNER
3. MARTIN GLEESON
4. GARETH ELLIS
5. MARK CALDERWOOD
6. DANNY MCGUIRE
7. ROB BURROW
8. ADRIAN MORLEY
9. MICKEY HIGHAM
10.JAMES PEACOCK
11.BEN WESTWOOD
12. J.J.B
13.KEVIN SINFIELD

14. JAMES GRAHAM
15. JAMES ROBY
16. ROB PURDHAM
17. JAMIE LANGLEY

You would bench Roby and Graham, England's two best players against Australia? Why not get rid of Gardner too then there won't be any Saints players starting?

hellteam

First Grade

1. LEE SMITH
2. ADE GARDNER
3. MARTIN GLEESON
4. GARETH ELLIS
5. MARK CALDERWOOD
6. DANNY MCGUIRE
7. ROB BURROW
8. ADRIAN MORLEY
9. MICKEY HIGHAM
10.JAMES PEACOCK
11.BEN WESTWOOD
12. J.J.B
13.KEVIN SINFIELD

14. JAMES GRAHAM
15. JAMES ROBY
16. ROB PURDHAM
17. JAMIE LANGLEY

I don't know who half of those players are...... and thats a good thing !

England arent going to beat Australia with the same team they've had for the last 5 years.

nadera78

Juniors
Graham and Roby are sensational impact players with speed, power, aggression and skill. Playing them from the start and asking them to do 60 minutes just turns them into plodders.

screeny

Bench
Agree with roughyedspud's side apart from f**king off McGuire, who's a bad organiser, for Pryce, who has to play well soon. If Sinfield would take the kicking pressure off him and allow him to concentrate on injecting speed from 2nd receiver, then he'd energise our wide attacks. He kept taking it statically at the weekend and was easily contained. He needs to glide onto the ball.

screeny

Bench
You arent serious are you? I see your point now. Of course they were better than the AUssies. That first 30 minutes was outstanding. Lets just forget about the other 50 minutes of the game as it isn't relevent to your argument.
Kite PWNED your forward pack. One man was the match of 3 of your forwards.....nuff said

Which part of 'when it was a contest' don't you get?

Obviously the Aussie forwards were better statistically over the course of the game, but that's because no pack in a heavily beaten side is going to play with the same motivation as at the beginning.

Carry on with your Kite fantasy. He played well but dropped the ball cold (in the period I'm referring to), as did Price, while other forwards made panicky decisions, such as Lafranchi running into Prince, and Stewart offloading ridiculously inside his own 10.

If that's owning England's pack, in the period when the match was a contest, then I admit to being owned.

no name

Coach
Which part of 'when it was a contest' don't you get?

Obviously the Aussie forwards were better statistically over the course of the game, but that's because no pack in a heavily beaten side is going to play with the same motivation as at the beginning.

Carry on with your Kite fantasy. He played well but dropped the ball cold (in the period I'm referring to), as did Price, while other forwards made panicky decisions, such as Lafranchi running into Prince, and Stewart offloading ridiculously inside his own 10.

If that's owning England's pack, in the period when the match was a contest, then I admit to being owned.

That was Gallen. Laffranchi had a blinder and would have got MOM if Slater wasn't on the field

Nev

Juniors
Roby and Graham have been rested. A couple of others are out injured.

England (from):
Burrow, Calderwood, Ellis, Gleeson, Higham, Hock, Jones-Buchanan, Langley, McGuire, Morley, Peacock (capt), Pryce, Purdham, Senior, Sinfield, Smith, Sykes, Wellens, Westwood

Latest posts