What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Need help re TV rights

Hey, can you guys give me some help?

Living in Melbourne, I'm copping it from all sides.

Everyone's telling me the AFL are going to get up to $130 million a year for their TV deal, whereas NRL can only expect $40 million.

Now, I wasn't aware the gap was so large! Is the AFL really 3 times more valuable???

Anyhow... how do I argue back against these raw stats?? Please help!!

mr panama

Juniors
i think you'll find that $130 million figure is for free-to-air rights, pay-tv rights and internet rights combined, whereas the $40 million nrl figure is for free-to-air only.

griff

Bench
Tell them how overvalued the AFL rights are. Free to air broadcasters make a combined $3m loss on the $60m or so they pay for FTA rights to the AFL each year.

In contrast Nine would be making a profit of about $15m a year on FTA rights to NRL/Origin/Tests.

If AFL get anything like $130m for their rights the TV stations won't be able to make a return on their investment.

Mr_Raditch

Juniors
Matt M said:
Just ask them how much the AFL rights have gone for in England or New Zealand.

:lol: :lol: :lol:

But that international mixed rules game they play is really interesting & skilled, it rates really well in Turkmenistan.

Stupid Mexicans :twisted:

bazza

Immortal
feeding_the_fire said:
Hey, can you guys give me some help?

Living in Melbourne, I'm copping it from all sides.

Everyone's telling me the AFL are going to get up to $130 million a year for their TV deal, whereas NRL can only expect $40 million.

Now, I wasn't aware the gap was so large! Is the AFL really 3 times more valuable???

Anyhow... how do I argue back against these raw stats?? Please help!!

Don't stress about it buddy. Just enjoy your AFL

i think if the lions won the gf last year nrl would have all the support in vic :lol:

i cant believe i heard melbourne is the sporting capital of the world when the only sport they like is afl im just lucky i live in the league side of melbourne :p

knights 2004

Juniors
of course the AFL FTA rights are gonna be worth more, they are paying for like 6 games a weekend. nine is paying NRL for 2

I think the AFL will be in some Trouble: :lol:

Nine rejects bidding war
March 23, 2005

NINE Network chief executive David Gyngell says he can't see his organisation joining an AFL bidding war.

The Seven and Ten networks last week decided to jointly bid against Nine for the control of AFL television rights for the 2007 to 2011 seasons, leaving Nine, which shares rights with Ten, in the lurch.

"I would be concerned if I was the AFL that they are now in a situation where it will be difficult to get a proper market going for the sale of their free-to-air rights," Gyngell told a Sydney newspaper.

"I don't know if we will participate. (The AFL) needs to try and tell me how we can, considering we are committed to covering rugby league matches on Friday nights in Sydney and Brisbane."

In the current deal, Ten broadcasts Friday night AFL matches that clash with Nine's coverage of NRL games.

AAP