What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Needy Blues set to recall Barrett

dragonfan1

Juniors
http://www.nrl.com/NewsViews/Latest...eedy-Blues-set-to-recall-Barrett/Default.aspx

Forget the title, just read and note the bits in bold...

Having revived Cronulla's fading hopes, Sharks skipper Trent Barrett is now set to be entrusted to do the same with NSW after out-pointing Origin I five-eighth Terry Campese in a one-on-one showdown in Canberra on Sunday.

Four years after playing the last of his seven games in the sky blue of NSW, Barrett is likely to be given a representative recall as Blues selectors attempt to stave off a record fourth straight series defeat.

His inclusion at the expense of Campese could be one of a host a changes to a NSW side that has been ravaged by injury and a sensational loss of form since their 28-18 defeat in game one in Melbourne.

Six Blues - centres Michael Jennings (calf) and Jamie Lyon (ankle), winger James McManus (Achilles), lock Luke Lewis (broken toe), prop Luke Bailey (arm) and utility Craig Wing (hamstring) - are all either in doubt or have already been ruled out through injury with scans on Monday to determine their fate.

Coupled with quiet matches from game one halves Campese and Peter Wallace, and NSW selectors have been left with little choice but to look for new blood - or in the case of Barrett and St George Illawarra centre Matt Cooper - some old faces they know can do the job.

"The thing about Trent is he is an Origin footy player," Sharks coach and former NSW and Australian Test mentor Ricky Stuart said.

"You don't pick the best players, you pick the best Origin footy players. There's a big difference, there's a huge difference.

"It's not like an Australian team where you pick the best of the best, Origin football is the toughest football you can play, and you need the toughest people.

"This bloke has been outstanding for our footy team.

"If it was fair dinkum what was in the press today in regards to that game (Sharks-Raiders) determining whether he's picked or not, I don't they'll have much of a decision." Cooper scored two tries to remind selectors of his class, while the form of his wing partner Brett Morris has given the prospects of an all Dragons left edge - alongside incumbent second rower Ben Creagh - a massive boost.

Throw in props Justin Poore and Michael Weyman and the possibility of Hornby coming in for Wing as the utility and the Dragons could have as many as six representatives.

Cooper said he would jump at the chance at another Origin jumper, but he was more interested in pushing the case for Morris who is battling Joel Monaghan and David Williams for a berth.

"If McManus is out, I'm sure Brett Morris would do a great job for Origin - he's been one of our best players all year," Cooper said.

The best case scenario for McManus is a fortnight on the sidelines while Penrith coach Matthew Elliott said Jennings would be right.

"He'll run next Tuesday, he'll be sweet for Origin, absolutely," he said.

"It's just his calf ... he's just got a slight tear to his calf that obviously we're being conservative with." Lyon appeared equally optimistic, but after a dismal game one up against Greg Inglis, injury may not be the deciding factor in his selection chances.

"If I get picked I'll be right," he said.

"I was pretty close to playing (against Penrith). I'll probably take a few days with a bit of rehab or something and get back into it but I won't run straight away.

"It just depends on if that's the way they want to go or if they want to get someone who's going to hit the ground running ... I'd love to have another crack at Queensland."

Possible squad: Kurt Gidley (capt), Jarryd Hayne, Michael Jennings, Matt Cooper, David Williams, Trent Barrett, Peter Wallace, Justin Poore, Robbie Farah, Brent Kite, Luke O'Donnell, Ben Creagh, Paul Gallen. Interchange: Craig Wing, Michael Weyman, Glenn Stewart, Brett White.

God-King Dean

Immortal
Good thing we got the bye this week. Will suck if we lose those players against Manly. But sh*t happens...

Cooper should have been there in the first place.

Morris is a 40/60 against Monaghan, who also playing well. I think they'll go with the experienced Monoghan though.

I like having Barrett in the team. He's had some blinders in Origin.

LazyDreamer

Bench
Having revived Cronulla's fading hopes...

This bit gets me. Hopes??? What 'hopes' do the scum have this year? Minor premiership? Home semi? Semi? LMAO! They're the drowning victim who's stopped breathing, and Barrett's performed CPR. Thing is, the scum were without oxygen for way too long, and they're now a complete vegetable.

God-King Dean

Immortal
Team was just announced.

Same Dragon players picked, 'cept Weyman will start with Kite.

Barrett picked over Campese.

Jenning & Lyon still the centres.

Williams picked over Morris.

Slippery Morris

First Grade
NSW are dumb as Coops and BMoz are lethel on the left. I thought they would be certainties. Don't be suprised if Coopes gets a late call as Lyon and Jennings have injury clouds.

Feel sorry for Campese. NSW pick players and give them 1 chance. Pearce, Mullen and now Campese. They should have picked Baz at the start for experience and Campese or Wallace. Baz has played his best footy in Origin. I hope Wallace has a crap game and they pick Orford for game 3. That way he will be out of the Manly Dragons game. Chances of that happening is 10000/1.

Kite was rubbish in game 1 but they had no other choice realy. They should start with Poore and Weyman. Kite is soft compared to those 2.

muzby

Village Idiot
Staff member
wow... blues picking barrett to get them out of a hole..

that's like someone in anafalactic shock eating a snickers to make themselves better.

saint-colesy

Juniors
This team just drives me up the f**king wall, so many dumb selections that it almost makes me want to support QLD.

Williams
Stewart
Lyon
Jennings

Are all disgraceful selections that i just cannot understand.

Morris x2
Monaghan

Are all better players then Williams
Cooper
Monaghan
J Moz

Are all ten fold better then Lyon and Jennings.

Hindmarsh
Galloway
Laffranchi
Scott
TLL
Heighnington

Are all better then Stewart by so much it isnt funny.

The NSW have killed Origin and frankly i couldnt give a f**k if we lose by 50 points, im over it.

I used to love watching Origin as a kid but lately the dumb useless players getting selected for our team just turns me right off the games.

Cagey Mac

Bench
This team just drives me up the f**king wall, so many dumb selections that it almost makes me want to support QLD.

Williams
Stewart
Lyon
Jennings

Are all disgraceful selections that i just cannot understand.
I think Jennings is overrated at this stage but disagree with the rest as disgraceful

Morris x2
Monaghan

Are all better players then Williams
That’s really not the case Williams is the equal of them and is very consistent. I hate Manly but rate this kid
Cooper
Monaghan
J Moz

Are all ten fold better then Lyon and Jennings.
Agree that Cooper is but Lyon is a better defender than Josh or Monaghan

Hindmarsh
Galloway
Laffranchi
Scott
TLL
Heighnington
I would have dropped Kite in favour of TLL and stared Weyman and Poore

Are all better then Stewart by so much it isnt funny.
Disagree here too. Hindmarsh offers nothing in attack. Laffranchi was a sub and underperformed in O1 was perhaps the worst forward on the park. Scott would not let you down but is a better centre than 2nd row where he gave away a lot of silly penalties in ’08 which may influence selectors. Stewart is a good defender but importantly a ball player

The NSW have killed Origin and frankly i couldnt give a f**k if we lose by 50 points, im over it.
I reckon that we’ll beat them in Sydney and lose in Brisbane in O3. Relax and enjoy the Dragons performance at least we have a few in the team

I used to love watching Origin as a kid but lately the dumb useless players getting selected for our team just turns me right off the games.

saint-colesy

Juniors
You seem to be another one that rates players based on the media.

Williams has nothing in defense and is ordinary in attack.

But because he's beaten up as this cult hero the "wolfman" everyone thinks he's a superstar. He's played a handful of first grade games and is no way proven that he is origin standard.

Stewart gets a beat up cause his brother is a freakish player and because he was in a premiership side. His defense is woeful and he gives away dumb penalties.

Look at the stats from the last 3 or 4 weeks of Hindmarsh, Stewart and Watmough. Hindmarsh kills it in every facet.

The teams a joke.

Doug2234

First Grade
Picking any player from Manly this yeah i am totally against. They are friggin woeful and none of them should get a start.. FULLSTOP! Williams has put in a better performance on the footy show then on the field this year... If he does his beard blue like a big androtop its a disgrace to all those who have bled on the field! The pink for breast cancer ok. but sky blue beard! COME ON!

I wanted to see Coops in the team while i think Jennings has potential but no one heard about him until mid last year. Give him a full year in first grade to settle before throwing him in origin.

Laffranchi is injured so he was never playing and i belive Hindmarsh should have been his replacement. Why havent we got a workhorse in the pack like Hindmarsh.

Unforunatly i believe that Barret was a good selection. We were lost in the halves in game one. Wallace has potential but needs to play off someone, as he does at Boncos with Locky. Big game from Wallace and Barrett for game 2 i believe.

saint-colesy

Juniors
The halves will fail again, you need to pick players that will work well together not always the best halves we have.

I'm convinced that selection of the NSW Origin side is based more around the selectors and their respective egos than it is about picking the best side to beat QLD. If they make too many changes (apart from injuries) to the side they picked for game 1, then it looks like they are fixing their own stuff-up.

How Jamie Lyon and Wallace held their spots baffles me.

Cagey Mac

Bench
You seem to be another one that rates players based on the media.
Look at the stats from the last 3 or 4 weeks of Hindmarsh, Stewart and Watmough. Hindmarsh kills it in every facet.

The teams a joke.

Oh crapcans Colesy!
His attacking stats don't are around the 20th best or worst for 2nd row for the season
He's a tackling machine
His try-assists are at 79th
Watmough (who IMO is #2 rated Pr1ck in the NRL) is in the top 2-5 for just about all attacking facets of the game

saint-colesy

Juniors
And if we had a tackling machine in game 1, maybe they wouldnt of scored so many tries and we would of actually won the game.

Defense wins matches.

watatank

Coach
We need a more defence orientated side. QLD put nearly 30 points or whatever it was and barely get out f second gear.

Latest posts