What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Neil Henry

Danny Weilder has a little snippet in todays Sun Herald bout Henry rubbing people the wrong way in Raiders town.
Is there any evidence of this , is it the players , management ? I can understand players who have been chopped been upset.
Also there is rumours that Henry will replace Bennett in 2009.
This will be drastic for the Raiders as I think he could well be the man to bring us success.

Edwahu

Bench
Raidersrawesome said:
Danny Weilder has a little snippet in todays Sun Herald bout Henry rubbing people the wrong way in Raiders town.
Is there any evidence of this , is it the players , management ? I can understand players who have been chopped been upset.
Also there is rumours that Henry will replace Bennett in 2009.
This will be drastic for the Raiders as I think he could well be the man to bring us success.

I wouldnt worry too much. The rumour got a run on the Dragons Jubillee avenue forum during the week and that is where Weilder gets half his stories from.

Bay56

First Grade
I'm hoping it's BS but if they old cliche has any substance I'd be concerned as a supporter of this club.

The club is at a very delicate stage in negotiating through a number of issues that is paramount to it's immediate future success. I would hate to think there is a hurdle in achieving that such as poor relations with a coach.

Raider_69

Post Whore
I read the words Danny Weilder and stopped reading... has the bloke ever got anything right?
Not even worth posting tbh

In the words of Craig Gower - "Weilders a f**king dribbler, tell him i said that"

paulquinn49

Bench
Raider_69 said:
I read the words Danny Weilder and stopped reading... has the bloke ever got anything right?
Not even worth posting tbh

In the words of Craig Gower - "Weilders a f**king dribbler, tell him i said that"

Which was in response to Weidler saying Gower was going to European Union.

Where is Gower now?

Evergreen

Juniors
Weidler's only about a year behind - the same rumours were floating around this time last year, only a couple of months after Henry had arrived. After speaking personally with some of the players, I worked out that a lot of these rumours were substantiated.

The problem for sensationalist grubs like Weidler is that Henry's discipline won't hurt this club. A lot of players had it easy under Elliot, and the sudden realisation that they were not going to be picked week in week out, regardless of form, was difficult to adapt to.

Bottom line is, Henry won't take any sh!t, and his coaching style is such that all players are kept on their toes and wary that if they don't perform, they won't be playing first grade. It's a necessary evil to ensure that we get the best out of our precociously talented youngsters.

Chachi

Bench
Source was David Howell perhaps?

Same old crap coming out of clubs who train hard. If Bellamy and Stuart don't get results there'd be a friggin riot in their quarters. The Cowboys thought Billy Johnston was a bastard too...that is before they reached the Grand Final.

Evergreen said:
Weidler's only about a year behind - the same rumours were floating around this time last year, only a couple of months after Henry had arrived. After speaking personally with some of the players, I worked out that a lot of these rumours were substantiated.

The problem for sensationalist grubs like Weidler is that Henry's discipline won't hurt this club. A lot of players had it easy under Elliot, and the sudden realisation that they were not going to be picked week in week out, regardless of form, was difficult to adapt to.

Bottom line is, Henry won't take any sh!t, and his coaching style is such that all players are kept on their toes and wary that if they don't perform, they won't be playing first grade. It's a necessary evil to ensure that we get the best out of our precociously talented youngsters.

Im all for this , and I think it is something this club has been lacking a long time ( since sheens tbh ) and you look at the teams with the hard nosed bosses , they are the ones still playing in september , I was more concerned about the rumour the Broncs were signalling Henry out , this wasnt in Weidlers article , I saw it somewhere else , cant remember though , it also did mention Bellamy was in their sights as well.

With Henry having a full preason with the team , and a bit of luck with injury ( I know every team gets them ) we are in for a good season.

Bay56

First Grade
There are different methods a coach can use to get the best out of his players and the most important is that he gains their respect ... without that his attempts ot discipline will be couner productiVE and he'll continue to have disgruntled players which can be infectious to the point where the players will attempt to drive the coach out of the club.

Henry is a new player on the block ... he has not yet earned the respect of a Bennet/Stuart/Bellamy .... and he probably hasnt quite got that fine balance between carrot and stick ... lets hope he's a quick learner.

I ask anyone of you guys ... how long would you put up with a boss who wields the big stick as soon as you enter the door.

Walt Flanigan

Referee
It's well known that Bellamy in his first years at Melbourne pissed off all the players with his hard stance. Results changed the players attitude toward him and if Henry can bring the Raiders up the ladder with his hard-line then it won't be an issue.
Bellamy has said that once the Melbourne boys finally did what he asked of them he backed off.
We had a soft coach. It didn't work.

You can't go comparing a Rugby League coach to every day bosses. Unless you're in the military.

Raider_69

Post Whore
Bay56 said:
There are different methods a coach can use to get the best out of his players and the most important is that he gains their respect ... without that his attempts ot discipline will be couner productiVE and he'll continue to have disgruntled players which can be infectious to the point where the players will attempt to drive the coach out of the club.

Henry is a new player on the block ... he has not yet earned the respect of a Bennet/Stuart/Bellamy .... and he probably hasnt quite got that fine balance between carrot and stick ... lets hope he's a quick learner.

I ask anyone of you guys ... how long would you put up with a boss who wields the big stick as soon as you enter the door.

Henry is the coach, he's the boss, that alone should demand the respect of his players. And for the most part i think the players do, i believe the players know that whilst he is a hard task master, they will reap the rewards for it.

And ill say right now, anyone who thinks he's bigger then the club and the coach, anyone who cant handle abit of discipline and doesnt want to do the hard yards, can f**k off to a sydney club where the inmates run the asylum, if one of those people (and i dont think it is at all) is Todd Carney, so be it... No player is bigger then the club.

As for you're last remark, ive worked under some absolute f**king pricks as boss's, but so long as they pay me each week, ill do as they say. They are employed as boss's to do a job, the last thing anyone needs when trying to do a job is some renegade prick who thinks he knows it all. If the employee knew it all, he'd be the boss.

Chachi

Bench
The other thing with Henry is that I belive he does a lot of the fitness training with the boys himself, so he's setting a good example up front.

They're probably now just doing what Tonguey set himself to do under Elliott anyway.

Bay56

First Grade
I understand what some of you guys are saying but I cant udnerstand how you may not be concerned about these reports.

Bellamy's example at the Storm (as indicated above by Walt) could easily be countered with examples where the coach/manager was given the boot due to poor relations with players.

At the end of the day it is the quality of player at the club that will win you a premiership ... so to say that you dont give a f**k about Carney leaving due to poor relations with the coach would not imo be fully understanding of the situation.

As I stated above ... this is a very delicate time for the immediate future success of this club and I would hate for the coach being the reason for a number of our young up-n-comers leaving due to a coach who thought a carrot was something only for rabbits to eat.

Raider_69

Post Whore
Look at the top coaches in the NRL...

Bellamy, Bennett, Stuart... all reknowned hard arses. If the players put in the work and do as Henry says, they'll reap the rewards, anyone not willing to do so, should be given a free pass to leave, irrespective of their talents.

If its good enough for the majority of the squad, and clearly if there i player discontent with Henry, its a minority. Then the few who dont like it need to harden the f**k up and stop bitching.

But bay you are correct, it is a delicate time for our club, and i would hate to see the young up and commers fail to live up to their abilities because the bloke in charge is too buddy buddy to wield the big stick, if we wanted a coach who is soft as sh*te and would prefer to be good mates instead of a good coach, we'll all be wishing elliott was still here.

Paullyboy

Coach
Bay I'm not concerned because Danny Weidler is the source. Alf from Home and Away has as much inside knowledge as Weidler - thankfully though Alf is good enough to concentrate on his TV show rather than making up random comments which continually fail to eventuate each week.

TiTTieS_[CNTDN] said:
Hold it fellas, Quinny's comment on Gower ending up in Euro union says enough to me.

Rumor had been around a while for a while..

Anyway he exclusively said Gower was joining an Italian club.. Close doesn't = right

Latest posts