What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Nein gagged by Gallop furore

Timmah

LeagueUnlimited News Editor
Staff member
http://www.leaguehq.com.au/news/news/nine-says-stop-attacking-gallop/2007/08/01/1185647979992.html

Nine says stop attacking Gallop
Andrew Webster | August 2, 2007

MEMBERS of Channel Nine's Footy Show panel and the network's commentary teams have been gagged from making personal attacks on NRL chief executive David Gallop.

Following a tirade from former international Mark Geyer on last Thursday night's Footy Show, Nine boss Jeff Browne has instructed Nine's league experts and commentators that Gallop is "off limits".

"We can say what we want about the NRL - just not Gallop," is how one Nine insider described the edict last night.

An angry Gallop contacted Browne last Friday after Geyer had criticised the NRL boss about the salary cap potentially forcing his brother, Matt, to leave the Melbourne Storm after a decade's service. "I know who I'd rather have out of the game out of [my] brother and David Gallop - and it's David Gallop," Geyer said on the program. "Am I'm the only one on the panel that thinks it?"

After Gallop's complaint, Nine head of sport Steve Crawley told members of the league team on Sunday and the Footy Show cast on Tuesday not to criticise Gallop personally.

"I don't gag commentators," Crawley insisted last night. "But I believe the position of NRL CEO has to be respected. I am uncomfortable with any personal attacks. I welcome heated debate - but there is no need to make it personal."

Gallop was also unhappy with Nine when Footy Show host Paul Vautin a fortnight ago described changes to the draw for next season as an "embarrassment", after tense negotiations with the broadcaster to have an extra bye added to the schedule.

Gallop was concerned Geyer's rant was a response to that issue, although he is now satisfied that wasn't the case.

There is a belief at Nine that Gallop doesn't mind if the NRL is criticised - as long as no invective is directed towards him.

"I haven't asked to be immune to criticism," Gallop said last night. "How Nine management decides to deal with the issue with their commentators is a matter for them. The NRL and I cop criticism all the time. Where it's ill-informed and personal, of course we query that."

Gallop fronted Geyer when their paths crossed at Leichhardt Oval on Monday night. Geyer said Gallop expressed concern the spray had been a "square-up".

"He asked if it was personal, and I said not at all," Geyer said. "He asked me if someone had told me to say what I did. And I said not at all. I suppose I was the one who took the whole thing personally.

"I only found out about what was going to happen to my brother a few hours before the show and I was fuming. You see, so many players get pushed out, but when it happens to your brother … I didn't expect Channel Nine to cop so much from the NRL about it."

Geyer said he had not been told that he could not longer criticise Gallop personally, while other members of Nine's rugby league team refused to comment on the matter yesterday. The gag order is certain to rub many at Nine the wrong way. Some are already bemused that the network has approached Fox Sports commentator Laurie Daley about joining the Footy Show and being involved in match-day coverage. The decision is curious because Nine management had promised to beef up the news content of the award-winning program.

For several years, diehard league fans have bemoaned the lack of gritty league discussion - instead of men in muu-muus - in the Thursday night timeslot.

Nine's Browne was unavailable for comment last night.

Walt Flanigan

Referee
Fair enough I think, it's good enough to discuss the topic without getting personal.

Saying that, I don't typically agree with MG but I've always enjoyed his brutal honesty.

ucantseeme

Juniors
Good on Ch 9, just cause someone commentates on NRL doesnt give them the right to say whatever they want about whoever they want.

Especially Mark Geyer, he doesn't think before he speaks. I know Fatty said he'll be on the Thursday night Footy Show panel for the rest of the year but I hope they reconsider and go back to having a rotation of guest hosts like Benji, Ricko, Gaz, Mason.

I wonder what Gallop's "confrontation" with Geyer at Leichhardt Oval was like?

"Hey westie, stop f'n ripping on the NRL or I f'n nut you!"

dontmakemeangry

Juniors
ucantseeme said:
Good on Ch 9, just cause someone commentates on NRL doesnt give them the right to say whatever they want about whoever they want.

Especially Mark Geyer, he doesn't think before he speaks. I know Fatty said he'll be on the Thursday night Footy Show panel for the rest of the year but I hope they reconsider and go back to having a rotation of guest hosts like Benji, Ricko, Gaz, Mason.

I wonder what Gallop's "confrontation" with Geyer at Leichhardt Oval was like?

"Hey westie, stop f'n ripping on the NRL or I f'n nut you!"

More like " Hay MG, whats this about you baggin me last week on the footy show" Gallop

MG " You talkin to me....are you talkin to me......well you must be you 4 eyed pretzel cause i'm the only one here, go back to where it was you just crawled out you vermin"!

innsaneink

Referee
"We can say what we want about the NRL - just not Gallop," is how one Nine insider described the edict last night.

More patsies

Nathan B

Juniors
What's next? We can bag referees as a whole but not an invidual's performance because that's getting personal.

Are we allowed to say the NRL's CEO is not doing a good job, or is that too personal as well?

What a joke.

sharko

Juniors
What has Gallop got to hide that has prompted this sudden sensitivity.
Is it if enough people are made aware of the of the conflicts of interest occuring that the public might actually do something about it.
Gallop consents to his partners in the News Ltd attacking individuals but does not like copping his won medicine.

forward pass

Coach
Unfortunately for MG, if he had thought about this some more, he would have realised that this has NOTHING to do with the salary cap. The Storm think Matt Geyer is getting on and they can get as much value from a younger player - at half the cost.

If they wanted to keep him - they would have. They don't need him anymore and are blaming the cap to deflect any criticism.

Brutus

Referee
Gallop would have a heart attack if he listened to 2SM most afternoons.

I can't believe he is now giving directives to gag people.

All I can say to the Hughes' and Masters' of this world - keep up the good fight!

legend

Coach
I have a sneaking suspicion Gallop and co would be tuning in most days to hear what is being said, especially around 6.30 on Tuesday nights. ;-)

I will say this, there are too many egos in the Rugby League community for the game to ever function efficiently.

Also, if the NRL addressed the major issues in the game, there would be no problems but the phrase "conflict of interest" comes to mind whenever you talk about how the NRL administer the game.

Pierced Soul

First Grade
how is it gallops fault matt geyer is getting old? the nrl asked ceo's if they wanted an increase in salary cap and most voted against it. if matt geyer wants to chase one final paycheck thats his right, the storm or any other nrl club dont have to pay him what he thinks he's worth.

if mark has such a problem maybe he should be whinging at the storm for not re-signing his brother

fourplay

Juniors
forward pass said:
Unfortunately for MG, if he had thought about this some more, he would have realised that this has NOTHING to do with the salary cap. The Storm think Matt Geyer is getting on and they can get as much value from a younger player - at half the cost.

If they wanted to keep him - they would have. They don't need him anymore and are blaming the cap to deflect any criticism.

I think it has a lot to do with the salary cap.... Since Geyer is a 10 year player at the Storm there should surely be some salary cap concessions that reward loyalty.

Imagine if we were banned from criticising John Howard ? Thats what this is like...

skeepe

Immortal
fourplay said:
I think it has a lot to do with the salary cap.... Since Geyer is a 10 year player at the Storm there should surely be some salary cap concessions that reward loyalty.

Imagine if we were banned from criticising John Howard ? Thats what this is like...

There is, there's a $100,000 concession. Of course, this money doesn't necessarily go to Geyer... the Storm are free to dispense it as they please. I daresay it's sitting in some other players' contracts.

salivor

First Grade
I can't believe anyone here would like to censor opinion. What rubbish, you may disagree with what Geyer has said but he still has the right to say it.

Will 9 now be sending the same directive down to their pollitical commentators that they can attack the party but not the pollitician because that would be getting personal? Pull the other one, that won't be happening any time soon.

Slackboy72

Coach
But you don't elect the CEO of the NRL.

The only reason why he could possibly not want personal criticism of his performance is because he is News Ltd's puppet, hence he has no authority over his role. That is my only plausible explanation.

Brutus

Referee
Maybe it's time for Mr Gallop to move on if the position is getting too hot for him.

Hindyscrack

Bench
What M.Geyer said last week was utter drivel and very selfish... There is no need to get personal, and la ot of the crap that comes out of half wit's mouths like MG and Mario makes me cringe. They never think before they speak, or sit down and look at what they are proposing to see if it is realistic or feasible.

Channel 9 really needs to pick up its act with its 'talent' selection and get people on their panels with some brains. Its embarrassing watching some of these guys represent our sport in the media, just the little things like Chief in his 30's still unable to master the english language and Mario repeating 'at the end of the day' while yelling over the top of others.

Back onto the Geyer situation I'm pretty sure the Storm would offer Geyer a contract of some sorts, it just woudnt have been what he wanted. The storm need to look after their future and the real problem lies with Matt Geyer and his greed.

Brutus

Referee
Hindyscrack said:
Channel 9 really needs to pick up its act with its 'talent' selection and get people on their panels with some brains. Its embarrassing watching some of these guys represent our sport in the media, just the little things like Chief in his 30's still unable to master the english language and Mario repeating 'at the end of the day' while yelling over the top of others.

I agree with that. It's like watching 10 year olds at times. Embarrassing.