What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Nepalese cricket

The development of cricket in new areas is an interest of mine, particularly in Nepal where I've spent a bit of time. Cricket's popularity in the country has exploded in the past two decades largely thanks to the broadcast of Indian matches on pay TV. These days cricket is ubiquitous on free-to-air and pay tv and is played out in the streets and parks. Arguably, it has eclipsed football as the number one sport. The recently held ACC T20 tournament in Kathmandu attracted capacity crowds of 20,000 to matches featuring Nepal. Here is some footage of the winning moments of the semi-final between Nepal and the UAE.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=a7jINICt7U0

The TU ground is very antiquated but the noise generated by the crowd makes for a fantastic atmosphere.

As some might know, Nepal has had a lot of success at the u/19 level, beating established cricketing nations including South Africa, Pakistan, Bangladesh and NZ. However, Nepal has not been able to parlay those feats into success at the senior level. To nurture talent effectively Nepal has to improve its infrastructure and give players exposure to more difficult competition abroad by developing relationships with established cricket playing nations. I know a lot of up-and-coming players are sent to India to hone their skills. It would be great if Aussie clubs could offer similar assistance, as they do for players and teams from PNG etc...

Anyway, I just wanted to share a positive cricket story about Nepal where the game has been really embraced by the locals.

IanG

Coach
Yeah I think it's simply economic as players after the Under 19 level have to commit elsewhere and aren't really able to make a living out of playing cricket. But I agree the potential is there.

Timbo

Staff member
There are a few good teams at the U19 level that then fall away. PNG is another one.

The only associate country ready to make the step across the board is Ireland. But the signs are positive for Nepal, Afghanistan and others.

Gas Panic!

First Grade
What's the background to that? Hopefully not a silly question. Is it simply because the BCCI are merkins?

Timbo

Staff member
It would mean adding Ireland to the future tours programme for one and there are no TV dollars in bilateral series agains Ireland.

Also at the moment there are two voting blocs in world cricket. One of 7 (India, Bangladesh, Pakistan, Sri
Lanka, South Africa, The Windiea and Zimbabwe) and one of 3 (Australia, England and New Zealand). The perception is Ireland would join the latter. As it is, South Africa, Zimbabwe and the Windies only vote with them because of the money they give them and the volume of ICC events thrown their way. The number of ICC events the Windies and South Africa have recieved in recent years is laughable, whilst Australia with comfortably the best cricket infrastructure in the world hasn't recieved a single thing since the 1992 World Cup.

In the BCCI's perfect world New Zealand, The Windies and Zimbabwe get punted and replaced by Afghanistan and The UAE. I wonder if CA or the ECB will ever grow a spine and stand up to these bullies?

IanG

Coach
Wonder how the Poms would go if they HAD to field a team of purely English born players?

juro

Bench
Nepal are through to the mens world cup qualifier. Don't think they are any sort of chance to go any further but they are slowly on the way up. Having that massive fan base behind them would really help.

tiburon

Juniors
Wonder how the Poms would go if they HAD to field a team of purely English born players?

They would still beat us. Plus we have a few OS born players in the mix these days too.

Their current team playing in NZ:

Cook (english born)
Compton (SA born)
Trott (SA born)
Bell (english born)
Root (english born)
Bairstow (english born + would take keeping duties from SA born Prior)
Prior (SA born)
Broad (english born)
Swann (english born)
Finn (english born)
Anderson (english born)