What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

New 2025 USA pro league

Perth Red

Post Whore
Surprising news last week that a consortium is building a ten club pro league in North America to launch in 2025. apparently been in the making for a few years so why is this the first we've heard of it? Inviting NRl to invest and to name it.

Perth Red

Post Whore
Talks are under way to create an elite 10-team 'NRL America' competition as rugby league looks to broaden its footprint in the lucrative United States market, reports said Sunday.

Rugby League America (RLA) boss Steve Scanlan has met with Australian counterpart Peter V'landys and will make a formal proposal next weekend, News Corp. newspapers reported.

It is envisaged the league would be operational by 2025 with five franchises based in the east and five in the west, potentially with affiliate ties to Australia National Rugby League (NRL) clubs.

"I've held preliminary talks with Peter V'landys on behalf of our consortium," Scanlan told the newspaper group, adding that the discussions were "positive".

"We could certainly do this without the NRL, but if the NRL was to come on board, the synergies and partnership opportunities would be enormous for the game in America and lend an amount of legitimacy to what we are doing.

"We are absolutely open to the competition being called NRL America if the NRL wanted to be a part of it," he added.

V'landys stressed the talks were preliminary.

"I wouldn't rule it out (the NRL backing an American league) absolutely, but we need competent people who want to drive it," he said.

"We can't do everything. We would need people on the ground with the drive and passion to run an American NRL competition."

According to News Corp., the RLA-led consortium have been working on the NRL America plan for five years and have already struck deals with a hotel partner and airline to cover accommodation and travel.

They are also reportedly in talks with US broadcasters.

"We don't necessarily expect the NRL to invest financially but if we could have co-branding and form a partnership with the NRL, this can be an untapped goldmine," said Scanlan.

Perth Red

Post Whore
Interview with Steve Scanlan @ 48mins

Was planning to enter NY team in SL. Now pivoted to a 10 team pro USA league. 3 teams sold so far. Been talking to NRL for 3 months. Presenting to ARLC on Sunday in Vegas. Some board members own minor league baseball teams. Most things are planned. Agile with where teams will be. 2 of 3 licenses have been bought by existing sports clubs owners. $1.5mill US license fee to buy a club license. Aiming for 2025 start up. Looking at late April season start, 16 week comp.

Last edited:

taste2taste

Juniors
Scanlon avoided how much the salary cap will be during the IV, I'm guessing the size of the TV deal will dictate it.

Realistically probably 1.5 to 2m a team ? Meaning they'll get a large number of players from the English lower divisions, Elite 1, NSW/QLD cup..etc

How's this for a doomsday scenario.... what happens if the TV and billionaire backers decide to go 'all in' and set up the world's premier Rugby comp ? A salary cap of 20m, they'd raid the NRL, ESL and most union comps. Pie in the sky stuff but worth mentioning.

Perth Red

Post Whore
Scanlon avoided how much the salary cap will be during the IV, I'm guessing the size of the TV deal will dictate it.

Realistically probably 1.5 to 2m a team ? Meaning they'll get a large number of players from the English lower divisions, Elite 1, NSW/QLD cup..etc

How's this for a doomsday scenario.... what happens if the TV and billionaire backers decide to go 'all in' and set up the world's premier Rugby comp ? A salary cap of 20m, they'd raid the NRL, ESL and most union comps. Pie in the sky stuff but worth mentioning.
it would be ironic if the NRL became a feeder system for an American comp lol

But billionaires dont become billionaires by throwing their money away.

taste2taste

Juniors
But billionaires dont become billionaires by throwing their money away.
True, but sometimes you've got to spend money to make money, would there be any piont in setting up a professional comp in the USA if its only going to be the standard of the Ron Messey Cup ? Will anyone watch that ?

It's a short season proposed so there is the potential to do a short stint in America and then go to the NRL/ESL

One of the benefits of being a small international sport is that all the best players are in the NRL/ESL. Rugby, Soccer, cricket, basketball are used to having players move around comps but here in Australia we are up in arms because 2 Roosters are leaving.

wain

Juniors

Chasing Roos and RL in America Podcast are fairly balanced and in the know.

Those who have followed along with RL in the USA (apart from the 2 games in Vegas), will know the amount of bluster and empty talk promised by the recent NARL. Apparently, there was also no real dialogue with the governing body in the USA at that time either. Certainly seems like the focus was on making money rather than growing the sport…similar to all the different comps and regions going their own way in the past couple of years. Thankfully the international board has been working to resolve this.

To know this may have similar parties involved, my thoughts would be to remain wary of this. And I certainly don't think the NRL in Australia should have anything to do with the running of a domestic league in another country. Offer support financially or managerially, but let those on the ground who know the local areas and game lead the charge.

I'd still love to see North America blanketed in local regional competitions (ie. Texas comp, Cali comp, NE comp, etc) and come together with winners for the national champs. I think when that is in place and there is actually a decent amount of local players and following then we can push for a semi-pro level competition that can hopefully be sustained.

Last edited:

Vlad59

Juniors

Manly supremo Scott Penn is considering buying a stake in the proposed US league and believes Daly Cherry-Evans is the perfect fit to be the face of ‘NRL America’.

Manly supremo Scott Penn is considering buying a stake in the proposed US league and believes Queensland Origin star Daly Cherry-Evans could be the NRL’s version of David Beckham in America. An ‘NRL America’ concept is gathering steam with Penn revealing he is open to striking affiliate links for a possible New York Eagles franchise as part of a 10-team league from 2025.

As revealed by this masthead, a Rugby League America consortium has held talks with ARL Commission boss Peter V’landys and will formally present at an ARLC board meeting in Vegas on Sunday.

Channel 9 kingpin Karl Stefanovic has bought an equity stake in the mooted competition, while Hollywood megastar Dwayne ‘The Rock’ Johnson has been approached to head-up a Hawaiian team.

Now Penn is ready to undertake due diligence on a potential feeder-club alliance with tentacles in America as his Sea Eagles prepare for Sunday’s historic clash with South Sydney in Las Vegas.

Manly majority owner and chair Scott Penn has long held an interest in buying a stake in an American rugby league team. He revealed he had spoken to Sea Eagles skipper Cherry-Evans about becoming the Lionel Messi or Beckham of any new US competition.

“From an ownership point of view it would need to stack up financially,” said Penn, who mainly resides in New York.

“From an involvement point of view and certainly using (players) ... I spoke to ‘Chez’ (Cherry-Evans) about it at the time saying that maybe in a couple of years when he was in the total back end of his career, maybe that could be interesting to be the face of a team over here.

“You are seeing it here in the MLS with Messi. Beckham did it 10 years ago with Galaxy.

“To have some faces, that is what the league is going to need here - some high profile faces to take it to the next level.”

Just turned 35, Cherry-Evans is off-contract next year, when an elite American league is tipped to start, and could feasibly entertain a post-NRL cameo in the US beyond his 36th birthday.

RLA consortium boss Steve Scanlan, who played in America for New Haven in 2005-2006, said Cherry-Evans would be the ideal template for a retired NRL legend shifting to America to help educate local players.

“Daly Cherry-Evans would be precisely the type of player we are looking for,” Scanlan said.

“He has done it all in the NRL and in retirement here, he could be a poster boy for the game in America.

“Imagine a player of Daly’s pedigree living in America and mentoring a young generation of local US kids?

“That’s what this competition is trying to achieve.

“The American lifestyle is certainly one attraction.

“Rather than finishing in the cold of England in Super League, Cherry-Evans, Latrell Mitchell or Reece Walsh could prolong their careers playing league in the bright lights of America.

“If Daly is keen, we would love to talk to him.”

Cherry-Evans, still in superb shape, hasn’t ruled out playing beyond his current Manly deal in 2026.

However, if the brains behind the mooted US Super League can convince the Sea Eagles and Queensland skipper to see out his career in the US, he would be a statement signing.

Likewise, convincing Penn to invest in a New York team would be a significant coup for the code given the impact he has had at Manly.

The business tycoon held talks with a fledgling league some years ago but it never went anywhere.

He has been burned before in that regard but could be convinced to take a serious look at a financial stake in a franchise if the new league can demonstrate its bona fides.

“There were some guys who looked at a New York team three or four years ago,” Penn said.

“They came and met me in New York. We have always said we would have a level of interest. We would obviously need to look at it from the financial point of view to see if it makes sense.

“But we were always open to talking.”

Penn knows the American market as well as anyone given he spends much of the year domiciled in New York. He insists the key to unlocking the rivers of gold in the US lies with securing broadcast coverage.

Crucially, ARL Commission chair Peter V’landys has convinced American broadcaster Fox Sports to show the double header on their main channel.

“The growth of any sport is driven by broadcast so I think the first step, I am very encouraged to see what Peter has done with Fox,” Penn said.

“If we can get more coverage of NRL here, that is (331) million people.”

The RLA consortium has already sold three licences, with a start up fee of $1.5USD million ($2.3m), and has flagged its intention to reach out to NRL clubs for investment opportunities.

taste2taste

Juniors

I'd still love to see North America blanketed in local regional competitions (ie. Texas comp, Cali comp, NE comp, etc) and come together with winners for the national champs. I think when that is in place and there is actually a decent amount of local players and following then we can push for a semi-pro level competition that can hopefully be sustained.
That is the correct and best way to grow a sport but with the current state of League in the USA and the time it takes to properly grow a sport we'd be looking at a minimum 20 years until we had a professional league and in the meantime we'd be hoping Union doesn't get a foothold and money which would put League in the same loosing battle it faces in Wales and France.

The only way to grow the sport in the US is 'build the castle and they will come' although this rarely works the Wolfpock showed this method can be successful.

There have been a few false dawns but this currently proposal seems to be closer to reality than any previous attempts.

I'm a big fan of chasing Roos and I agree with his sediments, little bit cautious but hopeful.

RedVee

First Grade
It would be wonderful to have a pro comp in North America as long as:
1. It is financially viable
2. Doesn’t decimate the current Amateur leagues around the country and Canada
3. Is under the auspices of the US governing body and the IRL.

At this point I’m interested but wary

taste2taste

Juniors
From memory around 7am, no later then 8am, I was in the workshop
Pretty much just reading what was in the tele ( posted above ) no new information.

Fordan said it won't happen, so it's official! It's not happening lol

It's at 1:14:45

Last edited:

yakstorm

First Grade
I would love nothing more for the US to have a Pro competition, and I hope that unlike the many many many previous attempts, this one has some substance to it, though some things I don't get are:

1) Why the rush? Trying to get up and running by 2025 is crazy, especially as the NRL has committed to being in Vegas until 2028. We're almost in March and they supposedly only have 3 licenses sorted out of 10. Assuming they have other buyers, with due diligence, etc, they are leaving themselves very little time to sort out things like players, grounds, etc.

Even aiming for 2026 or 2027 would be more realistic and allow them to actually setup clubs, recruit players and I imagine also actually get a solid broadcast deal.

2) Why haven't they engaged with the USARL at all? It's not uncommon for pro leagues not to be 'owned' by the NSO, but they need to be sanctioned by it. Are they just hoping to bulldoze their way into being recognised once the competition is up and running?