What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

New Blood

Pistol

Coach
Why is it that the Broncos fail to bring in new talent each season? They brought in Motu Tony but released him after a handful of games this year. It is one thing to nurse and persevere with local talent but at some point each club needs a bit of new blood to get things moving in a different direction. If you stand still long enough, you get overtaken. To move forward, the Broncos need to become active in the player market. One or two new players a year isnt enough to bring home a premiership.

Pistol said:
Why is it that the Broncos fail to bring in new talent each season? They brought in Motu Tony but released him after a handful of games this year. It is one thing to nurse and persevere with local talent but at some point each club needs a bit of new blood to get things moving in a different direction. If you stand still long enough, you get overtaken. To move forward, the Broncos need to become active in the player market. One or two new players a year isnt enough to bring home a premiership.

Mate your a tool. You are obviously not a broncos supporter as we would have been smart enough not too say such s stupid thing. Let's see our new players shall we.

1. Karmichael Hunt (speaks for himself)
2. Corey Parker - used to play off bench occasionally but know has a starting place and kicks. Player of the future.
3. David Stagg - Played a couple of great games and got the most tackles in an NRL game....EVER!
4. Tom Learoyd - Huge player of the future
5. Scott Minto - has gotten a few games
6. Ben Zsicoulsky (spelling???) - man of the future, pity the bulldogs picked him up.
7. Mapp

Other players that up and comers are Irwin, Toupu, Parfitt, Barnes. Looks like we don't have much new blood :roll: :roll: :roll: :roll: :roll:

JoeysWheelchair

Juniors
Neville Costigen, Brett Seymour, Michael Ryan, Barry Berrigan, etc etc

What a joke. Broncos bring plenty through, as for attacking the player market - what for? At their disposal they have plenty of young talented players, no need to steal them from other clubs. Brisbane have enough trouble retaining their players.

I guess buying Brad Thorn and Justin Hodges for next season doesn't really represent much though does it.

Dumbest. Post. Ever.

Pistol

Coach
Let me see. Being a Broncos fan for 12 years doesnt count. Hmmm... ok. Glenn Lazarus ring any bells nimrod? Chris Johns, Terry Matterson, Karmichael Hunt was born in New Zealand and was selected to play for them this year (ok he turned them down) so that means he has ties there. And where else... let me think... Scott Prince with the Cowboys and who is that point scoring machine that left to go to Huddersfield... oh yes. MICHAEL DEVERE.

If you two jokers read my article properly, it said that you cant rely on local talent ALL the time. And you can hardly count Justin Hodges and Brad Thorn as new blood. New blood in Kevin Walters forcing Wally out in 1991 proved to be a masterstroke. And what did he do... Captain the 2000 Grand Final. AND LAST OF ALL.... whats his name, they call him the raging bull, GORDEN TALLIS. a NORTH QUUENSLAND junior from Townsville.

New Blood works. Clinton Schifcofske would not have got a run at fullback at Parramatta with Brett Hodgson there so Canberra bringing him in was the right thing to do.

First off, a first string kicker would be nice.

Did you see Corey Parker kick tonite? He kicked superbly I have no doubt he will be our number 1 kicker next year. Of course you can always count on young blokes. And if we need some direction next year from older blokes we will certainly get it from Thornie.

JoeysWheelchair

Juniors
Yeah Corey Parker did a great job, and Lockyer is more than capable as well.

Parker has turned into a real workhorse and is playing lots of minutes so if he can hold up and play 80 minutes then he is a good choice for goal kicker. Even if he doesn't play 80 minutes Lockyer could fill in if he was off the field.

Parker is a better goal kicker than the Parramatta reject Schifcofske.

Pistol

Coach
I was at the Souths game against the Broncos last night and I saw a great game of footy. Corey Parker kicked well. I will say this guys. We did get off on the wrong foot. If Corey Parker can keep kicking well, and maintain his form to warrant a starting spot, he should be a good kicker. Because we all know Lockyer's oversion to being the first string, hence DeVere taking over. I also heard a rumour around the traps when I was up in Brisbane that Hunt was considered to be a goal kicker. It would not surprise me, he can do almost anything on that field.

Can Parker maintain his form? If all goes according to the pipeline (Tallis retires, Thorn returns), where will Parker be? Thorn and Carlaw will more than likely be the starting second rowers with Carroll at lock. And Petero and Webcke speak for themselves. He is a good solid player and next year, I think he is off contract. Sign him up quick.

I think it will be an interesting year next year. With the emergence of Costigan at hooker, Barry Berrigan returning, Seymour returning, Thorn, some nice selection headaches in store.

Yeah, Hunt was given some lessons a couple of weeks ago by a kicking trainer (it was in the courier-mail) and he said that hunt was a natural. I still think Parker will get some decent game time next year and we will probably share the kicking 50/50 between Parker and Hunt/Lockyer/Seymour. And who knows Nick Parfitt can kick to :lol:

Bella

Juniors
Pistol said:

I don't know if I agree with this.
One of the things that I actually really like about the Broncos is that a lot of the players are locals who have been developed right there in Brisbane and its surrounds. Besides, considering Queensland only has two teams, but a lot of great, or potentially great, footballers, it makes sense to have local players as the majority of the team.

ethos

Live Update Team
Broncos don't need to go anywhere buying players in the next few years, as long as we can keep the current squad. We've got enough talent to last us a looooong time.

Corey's going awesome, maybe we should score all our tries in the corner, he seems to kick them all from there. :clap:

Brisbane produce most their own talent and have only bought in a handful over the years to complement what they already had. The Motu Tony thing was strange, but overall Brisbane have home grown talent. We have enough coming through to keep us in the top 4 clubs that's for sure.

damo72

Juniors
Casey McGuire and Stu Kelly both from the Eels but are Queenslanders, not being a Broncos fan but I commend them on their ability to bring out the best in their juniors instead of the worst which the coach of my side tends to do more often than not. Dare say you may be getting another ex Eel and I think a future rep player in Michael Witt in the near future if the rumours of his release are true.

Yeah sorry about how things are turning out at the Eels damo72. Smith really has some weird ideas. Witt is a talent IMO and the Eels loss would definately be a Broncos gain. He's a good little player.

Latest posts