What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

New club patron

Frederick

Staff member
Since it looks like Michael Costa is going to be dumped as treasurer today, should the Knights start looking for a new club patron?

keeney

First Grade
I didn't even know Costa was our patron, he's a bit of an impetuous c**k smear. SO, yes, yes we should.

Frederick

Staff member
I didn't even know Costa was our patron, he's a bit of an impetuous c**k smear. SO, yes, yes we should.
I still remember when he gave his speech officially opening the new grandstand...he sounded like he was tanked. Then I saw an interview with him on the news and realised that's just how he normally sounds

IanG

Coach
Well who does everybody suggest. Make it somebody who's a fair dinkum Knights Supporter rather than a token figure

Karmawave

Bench
Yes.

100%.

Let's start looking at sucking up for the future, by making our club patron Nathan Tinkler.

Now.

strewth_mate

Bench
I still remember when he gave his speech officially opening the new grandstand...he sounded like he was tanked. Then I saw an interview with him on the news and realised that's just how he normally sounds

Stadium.... com...community... WONDERFUL... stadium...

The arab who bought Manchester City football club would be my pick. He is worth over 30 billion (conservative estimate)and the group he belongs to is rumoured to be worth 850 billion and counting.

Alex28

Coach
The sheik who owns Darley and bought up the Inghams racing connection (who now owns Woodlands Stud?) - lets get him on board!

And Karma...I know you were taking the piss...but you've had worse ideas than Nathan Tinkler being our patron. The guy is going places...

roopy

Referee
Well Costa did deliver 60 million of funding and a brand new ground, but what has he done for us lately? (oh wait, we haven't got that money yet, and the new treasurer might still think Penrith needs a new stadium first).
I'd be a bit more comfortable in getting rid of the money guy if we had all the money in our hot little hands already.

Alex28

Coach
Thats the problem Roopy - he aint the money guy any more. He is nothing. He can do very little to help us any more...

Karmawave

Bench
And Karma...I know you were taking the piss...but you've had worse ideas than Nathan Tinkler being our patron. The guy is going places...

I actually wasn't taking the piss.

I really do believe Nathan Tinkler is a great candidate for club patron - for a whole number of reasons - the least of which is his potential private ownership possibilities in the future.

The guy has already gone places, but in racing, he is either going to be one of the biggest identities in the racing industry, or suffer the biggest crash of all time.

I'd make him club patron. And yes, one of the few occasions I was serious.

perverse

Referee
I actually wasn't taking the piss.

I really do believe Nathan Tinkler is a great candidate for club patron - for a whole number of reasons - the least of which is his potential private ownership possibilities in the future.

The guy has already gone places, but in racing, he is either going to be one of the biggest identities in the racing industry, or suffer the biggest crash of all time.

I'd make him club patron. And yes, one of the few occasions I was serious.
we should be courting the absolute sh*t out of tinkler, i agree.

keeney

First Grade
Agree entirely, who else besides Jennifer Hawkins do we have that is high profile and a supporter (although i doubt Costa was a supporter so I doubt that matters anyway). Tinkler is made of money, and has enough compassion for the Knights to throw away 200k on a meaningless sponsorship. Why the club hasn't given him use of the cheerleaders or something baffles me, we should be on him like stink on rice.

roopy

Referee
Well, with Costa gone and his parting words on state budget problems, unless we can get the feds to step in, i think our new stadium might not be as certain as it was yesterday.

Alex28

Coach
Sorry I mis-read you...I remember your comments when he bought Joeys place and just assumed the tall poppy syndrome was still there :)

$50 Mill in the racing industry wont make him a major player. He'll be an identity in Newcastle, but in a world of Darley, Godolphin, et al he'll still be a bit part. Fair bit of money to lose though!

Karmawave

Bench
$50 Mill in the racing industry wont make him a major player.

$50M so far... He shows no signs of stopping spending in the racing/stud industry.

He intends to not just be a major player, but THE major player.

Recently he met with John Messara, owner of Arrowfield Stud.

Tinkler said to Messara " I want to be as big as you ".

Messara - " It took me 30 years to get where I am ".

Tinkler - " I want to do it in 2 ".

Hanscholo

Bench
The state govt funding has allready been through parliament. Its not under any threat. Costa is just pissy because he didnt get his own way.

Last edited:

Alex28

Coach
$50M so far... He shows no signs of stopping spending in the racing/stud industry.

He intends to not just be a major player, but THE major player.

Recently he met with John Messara, owner of Arrowfield Stud.

Tinkler said to Messara " I want to be as big as you ".

Messara - " It took me 30 years to get where I am ".

Tinkler - " I want to do it in 2 ".
THE major player just bought out the Inghams for $500 Million and is just about to buy the Liverpool Football Club. $50 Million wont cut it. Heck even the likes of Gooree Park (who is a minor player in the scheme of things) is putting in every 2-3 years what Nathan has spent to set his operation up.

Appreciate his aspirations, but he'll remain a bit player for years to come...

Bring it home Knights

First Grade

I was there too! He sounded like he was maggoted! I loved it when Dave Gleeson from the screaming jets said after there last song "Time for another beer mr costa, haha