What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

New Cowboy keen to atone for lost time

Tigertread

Juniors
0,3600,285378,00.jpg
SETTLING IN ... Luke O'Donnell gets the feel of Dairy Farmers Stadium at yesterday's press conference.
COWBOYS recruit Luke O'Donnell has a simple goal for the 2004 season.
The 23-year-old former Wests Tiger, who featured only once in first grade this season after an 11-week suspension and a knee injury, wants to stay on the field as much as possible after what he described as a "frustrating" year.
"Personally I'd like to play as close as I can to every game next year and the following year so the main thing for me is to get some form back and stay on the field," O'Donnell said.
The 100kg back-rower was rubbed out of the game for 11 weeks in round two this season after being charged for striking Canberra half Michael Monoghan in a tackle which left his opponent with a broken jaw.
His year was further dampened after snapping the medial ligament in his knee in his return match from suspension -- an injury which hasn't enabled him to take the field since.
"It's been quite frustrating, the suspension firstly and getting injured in my first game back," he said.
"Also the last couple of years I've had a few injuries here or there and I'm just looking forward to playing again and getting some form back."
Despite his disappointing year, O'Donnell said he wouldn't be shying away from the aggressive style which has earned him considerable wraps after making his first-grade debut for Balmain in 1999.
"I'm happy with my style of play, it's just unfortunate the way things have turned out with that particular tackle and I just have to play some more games and stay on the field," he said.
O'Donnell is spending this week in Townsville in an effort to get used to his new surroundings at Dairy Farmers Stadium and find a place to live before he moves North permanently in October.
He said that since signing with the Cowboys he had kept a close eye on the form of the North Queensland side.
"I've watched every game since I decided to come up and I've been watching the weather reports too," he said. "They played some good games this year the Cowboys.
"There's some good young players coming through and the older players have been doing a great job as well so I'm looking forward to playing here next year."
O'Donnell has played 48 first-grade games and turns 24 in October.

Meanwhile, Cowboys prop Paul Rauhihi is resigned to the fact he won't be available for selection in the New Zealand Test side to play Australia on October 18.
Rauhihi underwent an arthroscope on his knee last week and starts rehabilitation next week
townsville bulletin

Latest posts