What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

New Halfback?????????

cronullashark

Juniors
Long to take shot at NRL deal

By Stuart Honeysett
February 10, 2007
ST HELENS halfback Sean Long has outlined his plan to use the World Club Challenge as a launching pad to gain an NRL contract.
Long, who is best known to Australian fans for leaving last year's Tri-Nations series in controversial circumstances, reiterated his desire to play in Australia after he came off contract with Saints at the end of the season.
"The NRL is the final frontier in my rugby league career," Long said. "People say it's the toughest rugby league comp in the world, and it's the ultimate test for any player. I have achieved all my goals that are possible in England with St Helens."
Long could find a home at Cronulla after having a meeting with Australia and Sharks coach Ricky Stuart during last year's Tri-Nations series.
Cronulla halfback Brett Kimmorley is off contract later this year and could be forced to look for another club depending on his form this season.
Another option could be North Queensland, given that former Saints coach Ian Millward is Graham Murray's assistant.
There will be an opportunity in Townsville as veteran pivot Jason Smith only signed a one-year contract.
Long showed enough during the Tri-Nations to suggest he could handle the NRL, especially in game four when he guided the Lions to an unlikely 23-12 win over Australia.
Any celebrations were short lived after the Lions were trounced 34-4 by New Zealand the following week.
Long broke camp and headed home to England citing homesickness, although the rumour mill suggested he had fallen out with coach Brian Noble after breaking an alcohol ban on the flight from New Zealand.
"People shouldn't read anything sinister into me heading home from the Tri-Nations," Long said. "It was simply a case of me missing my family.
"If my dream comes true and I secure a deal with an NRL side, my wife and children will join me in Australia. It would be a lifestyle decision and homesickness will not be an issue."
The Broncos will on Monday name their side for the World Club Challenge at Bolton in two weeks, although The Australian has already revealed coach Wayne Bennett will take 15 of the players that beat Melbourne in last year's grand final.
NRL teams have traditionally fared poorly in the play-off between the respective premiership winners from the northern and southern hemispheres.
Melbourne (2000) and the Sydney Roosters (2003) are the only NRL teams to win the title since it became an annual fixture on the rugby league calender in 2000.
St Helens dominated the English Super League last year but Long knows he will have his work cut out against the star-studded Broncos.
Meanwhile, Cronulla coach Stuart has left veteran halves Kimmorley and Adam Dykes out of the side for the Sharks' opening trial match against Parramatta at Parkes next Saturday.
Stuart will give former Brisbane halfback Brett Seymour and Brett Kearney first chance to impress while former Queensland prop Ben Ross will make his return after missing most of last season with a knee injury.
<A class=image href="http://www.theaustralian.news.com.au/?from=ni_story"">
h14_theaustralian.gif

i reckon long is too old, i would prefer mitchell pearce. Thoughts anyone!

Why look at replacing Kimmorley for Long, we at least know Kimmorleys faults, Long is to old to adjust to the NRL, he would demand similiar amount as Kimmorley, buying a younger half, we could get 2 for price of Noddy, would be more sensible

Qld-Sharkie

Juniors
Why say no to Rogers because your building for the future.... then turn around and sign this bloke????

The words Cronulla are used in an article about Sean Long's future. Then St Helens get done by a team that has the logo of a joker. coincidence?