What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

New Laws

I wonder what will happen if or should I say when the State Government make Clubs non smoking establishments. I would imagine Clubs such as Redcliffe, Easts, Wynnum, Burleigh who rely on grants from their Leagues Clubs for the majority of their funding will get a major cut. I'm not sure how the Comets work with Rocky Leagues but it could also put a big hole in Norths if Ribots club at Kallangur has to cut funding.
It's a simple fact look in any club and you'll see the majority of the gamblers are smokers.

Any thoughts on this

I'm questioning what effect it'll have on the standard of the comp. The money won't be there to sustain the current payments that players earn. Clubs will have have to cut their Development budgets in some cases maybe even get rid of their Development officers. And what effect will it have on the juniors, when that club relies on a liscensed club for funding.
And how many clubs put money into schools programs and supply jerseys for schools and sponsor school comps.
I know Redcliffe supply jerseys for several other junior and senior clubs that are struggling I wonder where these clubs will get simple things like their jerseys from and I'm sure other senior clubs do the same for junior and senior teams they have connections with.

Stew just as it your choice and mine not to smoke it's their choice to smoke. Has the top comp in this state had a long term sponsor since it was known as the Winfield Cup.

Do you think non-smoking will really have a big effect on clubs, Big Cam Cherry? How hard is it to pop outside to light up a cigarette? They have to do it in most (if not all) shopping centres and many establishments that ban the habit.

Stormboy you may care if Norths lose half the cash they are getting from Reebs and his club at Kallangur. What if say Norths get 100 people back in the club after a game at Bishop Park and say 50 are smokers what if those 50 decide lets go home or to a pub atleast we can have a smoke there, there's income walking out the door.

I'm not sure UTP by I do think it will lead to a downturn in income to Leagues clubs which will lead to a downturn in income for Football clubs, once you get people in the doors you don't really want them walking back out. I guess it'll depend how each club can manage it.

It's only my opinion I just put it up for debate.

Sydney Carton

Juniors
There's nothing f*cking worse than being forced to breathe someone's f*cking smoke. As an asthmatic it also ensures I cannot breathe properly for 24 hours and i love the sinus headaches too....

It's no different to me throwing food at someone sitting next to me in maccas. Or spitting beer at people as i have a beer in the pub.

Let them take a 2 minute walk and have a smoke outside. The number of people who avoid clubs abd pubs because of the smoke is pretty high too.

The first pub to ban smoking will become my local.

Sydney Carton

Juniors
Also I reckon the impact is debatable.

You cant exactly buy a carton of pokie credits and use them at home can you?

Looks like I've fired you up Stew.

I agree there is nothing worse than breathing in smoke but I think it's different to spitting beer and throwing beer.

I think we'll have to agree to disagree on this one Stew.

Latest posts