What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

New MLS stadium in California to be used for RL

krudmonk

Juniors
I stumbled upon this as a soccer fan, since our local side is finally getting its own stadium. Anyway, the club just unveiled the field-level luxury suites and all the features are shown in an online brochure. Among it all is a list of non-MLS sporting events that will take place at the stadium, and check out what's shown here:
earthquakesstadiumsports.png

And yes, the caption says "rugby & rugby league" so we know the editor didn't accidentally use an RL photo when they meant RU. Not sure we'll ever see an NRL match (ha!) but it's promising nonetheless.

Rampart66

Juniors
I don't think that there's anything concrete with an actual team playing there. I think it's just the people who own/run the stadium listing all of the uses for the stadium to draw other events.

The new stadiums that are popping up for MLS are perfect for Rugby (Columbus Crew Stadium hosted College Rugby Sevens last year). The only downside is that the seasons overlap and I imagine that the price would be out of the range of most clubs.

Having said that, I'd love to see the leagues get to the point where some of the current AMNRL and USARL teams play in these soccer-only facilities.

Spitty

Juniors
To be fair the San Jose stadium would be better suited to an 'exhibition match' or international, not necessarily an AMNRL or USARL match.

Although being that RL seems to be most popular on the east coast, more specifically around the Philadelphia area I'd think use of the new Philadelphia Union stadium would be more feasible for 'exhibitions' and internationals, that could have a trail on effect for the domestic leagues.

But it is good for RL that a lot of these MLS sides are getting new rectangular, mid-sized stadiums.