What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

New recruit Trent Barrett stars in Cronulla's win over Penrith

Frenzy.

Post Whore
New recruit Trent Barrett stars in Cronulla's win over Penrith

March 14, 2009 Cronulla's recruitment drive paid immediate dividends as Trent Barrett and Anthony Tupou made stunning debuts in the Sharks' 18-10 win over Penrith at Toyota Stadium.

Barrett and Tupou scored Cronulla's two tries as the Sharks made the most of appalling conditions to claim the competition points in front of 10,617 brave fans.

Belting rain and lightning covered the stadium for much of the game and it was Cronulla's patience with the ball that proved the difference as the Panthers consistently squandered their chances by inexplicably kicking early.

Barrett, playing his 200th NRL game and first in 903 days after two years with Wigan, was superb for the Sharks.

The former St George Illawarra player booted a 40-20 with his first kick, scored the first try of the night in the 10th minute and helped set up Tupou's 55th-minute four-pointer.

Barrett put skipper Paul Gallen through a gap with a cut-out pass before the lock forward flicked it back inside for ex-Sydney Rooster Tupou to score.

But the Sharks victory has come at a significant cost with full-back Brett Kearney (ankle sprain) and prop Ben Ross (neck) both carried from the field.

Ross reeled out of a tackle late in the game after three forwards collapsed on top of him and was rushed to hospital.

Kearney will be sent for scans on Monday after he suffered a high ankle sprain midway through the opening half.

The loss of Kearney forced a reshuffle of Cronulla's backline with Misi Taulapapa and debutant Blake Ferguson both given time at full-back only to consistently make handling errors.

But the Panthers never once made the Sharks pay as half-back Jarrod Sammut and full-back Lachlan Coote kicked early in the tackle count several times for no result.

Centre Michael Jennings scored Penrith's only try in the 20th minute when he side-stepped around four defenders to score beneath the posts.

Sharks coach Ricky Stuart said there were serious concerns over the well-being of Ross, with club doctors believing he had damaged his spine just below his neck. "It does not look good," said Stuart.

"He is in an awful amount of pain ... he is in a real lot of bother."

Stuart said the only positives to come out of the game were their staunch defence and two competition points.

"I have seen some ugly games of football but I don't think I have seen any uglier," said Stuart.

"It was not just the amount of ball we dropped but where we dropped it. You would expect under eights and under nines to do that and you'd still be dirty on them.

"But I've always said I'll take an ugly win instead of an attractive loss."
Barrett was happy with his first-up performance but knows there is a long way to go if Cronulla are to be contenders this year.

"We did make it hard for ourselves," he said.

"I'm confident the team can defend anyway. I found that out."

Like Stuart, Penrith coach Matthew Elliott was proud of the defensive commitment shown by his side but was bemused at their attacking decisions.

He described their second-half performance as ugly but conceded that playing with patience in attack is always a risk when fielding so many young players.

"It was not something we prepared to do," said Elliott of his side's early kicking tactics.

"But you get that with a young team and we lost our way in the second half.

"We have a very talented team of young guys and we have plenty of improvement in us."

http://www.foxsports.com.au/story/0,8659,25188076-23214,00.html

Last edited by a moderator:

Surely

Post Whore
I would hardly say stars, couple of good things, a couple of ordinary.

Blew it big time when he turned the ball inside when there was an overlap on the outside.

Nice kicking game though.

millersnose

Post Whore
well he did a couple of good kicks

i thought he was missing in attack though given we only managed 2 tries against the worst defensive side in the comp

i thought he was supposed to be the messiah

millersnose

Post Whore
interestingly noddys wooden spoon side managed 3 times that score against the best defensive side

/let the baiting begin

Ausguy

Coach
yeah but i think manly had other things going on in their mind, i dont mind noddy's dogs winning. good on em. f**k u manly f**k u.

Ausguy

Coach
well he did a couple of good kicks

i thought he was missing in attack though given we only managed 2 tries against the worst defensive side in the comp

i thought he was supposed to be the messiah

Miller were you at the ground tonight?

its the worst weather i have seen in 30 years at shark park.... 18 points is worth 50 on a night like that.

its the worst weather i have seen in 30 years at shark park.... 18 points is worth 50 on a night like that.

I agree Ausguy that First half onslaught with the wind and rain was horrendous! Also rip off of the year goes to Sharks merchandising. They wanted $50 for an Umbrella!! FMD I said keep it it's too bloody precious to sell!!

Ausguy

Coach
I was in the southern grand stand and got saturated.... the rain came in sideways and th drops were massive.... it hit just as penrith kicked off after barretts try... Penrith got the ball back as it held up in the wind from memory... it was absolutely tragic, if you werent there you have no idea.

Barrett did some great things and made some bad mistakes. I was very impressed with his kicking game and overall I think he will prove to be value for money this year. He showed tonight that he's here to play footy and show some leadership and responsibility with the team. Early days but I've got a feeling he will be one of our best this season.

millersnose

Post Whore

no

i watched both games on the telly

and the rain pissed down at anz as well

could hardly see the play sometimes

Snoop Shark

First Grade
I must say trent surprised me tonight...i will admit i was one of his doubters!!!

As for Blake Ferguson...this kid is a keeper...everything this kid did out there i liked...(special mention to millington for looking after him just before half time when some penruff maggot tryed to standover him)

dolph_sharkphin

Juniors
Yep, good kicking game. Looks good considering the weather they dealt with. 18 points in that has to be worth x 2? Shame about Ross. Hope he will be alright.

spider

Coach
he had a great kick - wind assisted

fell on a regulation kick to score with an inexperienced fullback out of position

threw a gem flat ball, which the try was a result of gallens freakish off load to put toops over

he had a few nice touches - but he was missing for a lot of the game

he was no super star tonight

dropped ball, executed kicks that kimmorley would be hung and quartered for, and mis-read plays

i hope he gets better for our sake

Windy70

Juniors
He did some good and some bad. But I think the signs were there that he'll be an asset.

Crap news on Ross though, hope he's gonna be ok. Can't believe he got up and walked off the field.

Quigs

Immortal
I sat through most of the Parra Warriors game, watched the Kimmorleys do the Hartleys of Brookvale. And then watched the main event.

Farkin Fox, why didn't they show the sharks before farkin' Manly.

I thought Big Rossy was going alright. Those injuries can happen in league. Bloody shame, I reckon he was in for a big year.

Time will tell the extent of his injuries. Hope he comes good.

The gnome went alright for the dogs. That I'll grant but they (the dogs) had one of those games where if they put their hands down a sh!thouse they'd pull out gold nuggets.

That happens with sides every now and then. And the fact that it happend to Manly was sweet.

What got me chuckling about the dogs was the usual. Line drop outs, guess who got to kick them all. Who used to do the line drop outs for the Dogs. Wasn't the little bloke on the wing that just broke the NRL points scoring record the kicker. The kicks in play were ..... well .... just what I have watched for years.

Then our blokes come on. The first kick is a 40/20. 6 or so minutes into our first game. Admittedly it was wind assisted but it was a 40/20.

Then the commentators were having kittens over the massive line drop outs.

I think "we" all here marvelled over the extra distance we got from line drop outs when the team kicker was given the job over the handbrake last year.

Our game. I thought apart from the shocking hands of some was okay considering the horrendous conditions and it was game No1.

The injuries set us back and I think that having games like that early are believe it or not good for the team in the fact that they know how hard it is when major reshuffles are needed.

Who can put their hands up, who can cover who when the pressures on etc etc.

But please don't tell me that Paris would of been a bonus out there last night.

Congrats to all who braved the weather - it looked like sh!t. It was Gods revenge for the team selection.

Cheers
Declared Idiot #88
Quigs