What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

New recruits for 2023

Is the Hunt retention a sign that we intend fast tracking some of our best juniors into First next season., because now we sure as hell cant afford any decent imports. Josh Coric is a good sized lad while Toby Couchman would make a fine edge forward. Jackson Shereb has promise and is a big unit with skills. Needs better guidance to bring out his best. Zack Herring and Braxton Wallace are a pair of clever halves that can only improve with some first grade experience. Ditto Hooper and Purcell. Bugger that they are still kids get em in while they have burning hunger. A good deal of our past greats played Firsts at 19/20.

Last edited:

denis preston

First Grade
Latrell Mitchell just said on the news that NOT ONE NRL talent scout went to to the Koori knock out! What on earth are our recruitment people doing? If ever there would be some untapped talent on display it would be at this tournament! Another opportunity missed by the Dragons!
Another opportunity to bag the club not missed ? As George & others have mentioned previously , the scouts would already know of any talent through all the rep trials throughout the state. The Koori cup is more a gathering and the standard fluctuates so it's difficult to get a handle on performances.

denis preston

First Grade
Is the Hunt retention a sign that we intend fast tracking some of our best juniors into First next season., because now we sure as hell cant afford any decent imports. Josh Coric is a good sized lad while Toby Couchman would make a fine edge forward. Jackson Shereb has promise and is a big unit with skills. Needs better guidance than he has been having to bring out his best. Zack Herring and Braxton Wallace are a pair of clever halves that can only improve with some first grade experience. Ditto Hooper and Purcell. Bugger that they are still kids get em while they have the most burning hunger. A good deal of our past greats played Firsts at 19/20.
Geez baggers, we are struggling to get Bud to 6 or 7 as it is to consider Herring,Wallace , Hooper & Purcell !!

OneEyedDragon

Juniors
Another opportunity to bag the club not missed ? As George & others have mentioned previously , the scouts would already know of any talent through all the rep trials throughout the state. The Koori cup is more a gathering and the standard fluctuates so it's difficult to get a handle on performances.
Another opportunity to bag the fans not missed eh Denis? I for one do not have a full understanding of how or who from the Dragons checks out and recruits potential players. Since Dragons recruitment seems to be so poor, I believed that the Koori Cup would be an ideal event to cast an eye over some, perhaps previously undiscovered, talent, but, of course, the club obviously has all avenues of recruitment already covered (according to you). Please accept my apologies for even mentioning it!

Geez baggers, we are struggling to get Bud to 6 or 7 as it is to consider Herring,Wallace , Hooper & Purcell !!
Was thinking more about our pack Denis as that is where some added impact is needed badly. Still Sully, Junior and Tyrell have all had decent Firsts participation, so why not those other four.

True_Believer

Juniors
Another opportunity to bag the fans not missed eh Denis? I for one do not have a full understanding of how or who from the Dragons checks out and recruits potential players. Since Dragons recruitment seems to be so poor, I believed that the Koori Cup would be an ideal event to cast an eye over some, perhaps previously undiscovered, talent, but, of course, the club obviously has all avenues of recruitment already covered (according to you). Please accept my apologies for even mentioning it!
Lattrell did say "not one talent scout". So no other club sent scouts there either. Maybe that says more about the quality of the comp rather than our scouts not being there. Maybe it's common knowledge that having scouts there is a waste of time.

OneEyedDragon

Juniors
Lattrell did say "not one talent scout". So no other club sent scouts there either. Maybe that says more about the quality of the comp rather than our scouts not being there. Maybe it's common knowledge that having scouts there is a waste of time.
Maybe, but maybe it is time the club thought outside the box. Look, I dont know if there was any potential players there or not. I just thought it could have been an opportunity lost. Enough said.

Gareth67

First Grade
I watch some Koori Cup matches on the tele over the weekend and there were some tough as teak forwards running around .

Those country boys are a rough and tumble mob .

Last edited:

getsmarty

Immortal
I watch some Koori Cup matches on the tele over the weekend and there were some tough as teak forwards running around .

like this guy.....

Hard to get a gauge on some of those koori players...very talented... but question marks remain.

If rumours are correct, we have someone better in the pipeline.

possm

Coach
Is the Hunt retention a sign that we intend fast tracking some of our best juniors into First next season., because now we sure as hell cant afford any decent imports. Josh Coric is a good sized lad while Toby Couchman would make a fine edge forward. Jackson Shereb has promise and is a big unit with skills. Needs better guidance to bring out his best. Zack Herring and Braxton Wallace are a pair of clever halves that can only improve with some first grade experience. Ditto Hooper and Purcell. Bugger that they are still kids get em in while they have burning hunger. A good deal of our past greats played Firsts at 19/20.
With Hunt, I think we have saved 200k p/a on his cap. Then we let go Sims 800k so that is the Fifita money. Then we let go a bunch of props and back row forwards, which I'm sure would add up to enough to buy a good prop.

never thought i would say this but after religiously following league since 1970, have had enough.

followed the steelers since their day one until the end, was promised a super club..what a joke.

the dragons now are worse than at anytime the steelers were in their 17 seasons, including our wooden spoon years.

even my 31 year old son (who played with damien cook) for thirroul asked me last week who was playing in the grand final. he hadn't watched a minute of nrl all year.

if bud leaves, that will be the final straw for me.

Gareth67

First Grade
like this guy.....

Hard to get a gauge on some of those koori players...very talented... but question marks remain.

Your right getsmarty , they are certainly lacking on real skills and your reference to Rulon the Butcher is a prime example of that .

I do recall him playing in the Charity Shield in what I believe was his debut match for the Dragons . He didn’t do anything outstanding , but to me at least he held his own .

From then on it was all downhill which was a pity as we did - and still do require a big tough bod to give our pack some respect .

Good to see your occasional post my friend , miss your input .

Last edited:

blacksafake

First Grade
like this guy.....

Hopefully that pipeline leads directly to us & there’s no turn-off to somewhere else

be55

Juniors
Northern Pride confirmed that Nick Lui-Toso has signed with the Dragons.
Happy New Year Reaction GIF