What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

New recruits for 2023

RedVee_8

Juniors
Maybe that's our problem. The BOD at the Dragon's practice too much at Beverley Park GC which is behind the leagues club and always beat our players and any prospective new recruits. The quicker we relocate to the Gong the better and make sure there are no golf courses around so the BOD can't practice.
You do know that the Wollongong Golf Club is pretty much adjacent to WIN Stadium and Steelers club???

We have extended Bird a good money so, right now lock would be his best fit for the team.
A big mistake .. biggest next to Griffin's extension that is. How is Bird at lock the best fit for the team when we have one of the best of the modern era in JDB having to fill in at prop. If we get Leniu, Jack should return to where he plays his best footy with Bird off the bench or in ressies.

Last edited:

redandwhite4evr

Juniors
I want the Dragons to dig their heels in and not budge with any increase in their offer to Hunt. If Hunt wants more then he should go to the open market and see what other club would pay him what he wants - zero is what I think. If he cannot reach agreement then he just plays one more year with us and then Sullivan can take his place - simple. Hook and Hunt - only 12 months to go!
Hunt will be 35 in 2025 if he is extended for two years by the Dragons. Yes, he is performing at a high level at present but Dragons recruitment might want to watch the 35yo Buddy Franklin's abysmal effort for the Swans in the GF last Saturday before shelling out $800K+pa beyond 2023.

Illusion

Bench
Hunt will be 35 in 2025 if he is extended for two years by the Dragons. Yes, he is performing at a high level at present but Dragons recruitment might want to watch the 35yo Buddy Franklin's abysmal effort for the Swans in the GF last Saturday before shelling out $800K+pa beyond 2023.
Yep agree Hunt had a good year , but not so good the other years ..... So if he doesn't go as good next year , he will be under a lot of pressure ......

Maddragon99

Juniors
Let him go, the money being talked about is ridiculous. Free up that money for recruitment and find out if Sullivan is going to make it. Hunt is not going to get any better, he will only get older and less effective, he is not a half back to take you to a grand final win.
Kudos to Hunt, he’s really stood up for both Saints & QLD the past 2 years but we should remember he’s no Cooper Cronk & thus we’ve easily missed the 8 both both years.

If Hunt hasn’t been able to lead us to the top 8 even though he’s had his best 2 years no there’s no reason to think things will be any different in ‘23 & beyond.

For mine I’d rather hand over the keys to Sullivan from ‘24 & spend Hunt’s money on a premier Prop & Lock we are desperately short in the forwards but have depth in the halves & backs.

Time to move on hopefully to better days

possm

Coach
A big mistake .. biggest next to Griffin's extension that is. How is Bird at lock the best fit for the team when we have one of the best of the modern era in JDB having to fill in at prop. If we get Lenui, Jack should return to where he plays his best footy with Bird off the bench or in ressies.
Where would you play Bird?

Maddragon99

Juniors
Where would you play Bird?
For mine JdB’s best position is Lock but given our thin stocks at Prop I think de Belin will be playing frontrow from now on. He tackles everything that moves & his technique is so good he’s very unlikely to ever be suspended.

I thought Jack Bird excelled at Lock so I’m very comfortable with Bird starting at Lock next year.

But we are short an elite second rower & prop to be an effective pack. Which is why I argue the $800k that Hunt will command is better spent on forwards.

possm

Coach
For mine JdB’s best position is Lock but given our thin stocks at Prop I think de Belin will be playing frontrow from now on. He tackles everything that moves & his technique is so good he’s very unlikely to ever be suspended.

I thought Jack Bird excelled at Lock so I’m very comfortable with Bird starting at Lock next year.

But we are short an elite second rower & prop to be an effective pack. Which is why I argue the $800k that Hunt will command is better spent on forwards.
We are singing from the same hymbook! I say that the spare dollars we gain from letting Hunt and Sims go, should be spent on Fifita and a good prop. This would bolster our forward pack in a way that would make us a competitive team in 2023.

Yes! the likes of Sullivan and Amone would have to step up big time but that is the right way for these young guns to grow and secure their future at the Dragons. And when it comes to Sloan, he must be sat down and helped to understand that by lifting his skill-set and doing the very best he can in reserve grade, he will put pressure on the coach to select him in first grade. Sloan should take a leaf out of Ramsey's book.

Trifili13

Juniors
Yes who was once owned by Uncle Nick's Ford Australia some years ago
I am sure no connection or no known associates in the business.
Surely only a coincidence..one of those things
While we all like to have a go at Uncle Nick, I don't think he ever owned Ford Australia which is part of the Ford Motor Company of the USA which had acquired Jaguar. As a Ford dealer and his position in the industry, Uncle Nick would have had contacts and it would be easy for him to make a phone call to help a friend out to supplement the "unders" they received.

possm

Coach
While we all like to have a go at Uncle Nick, I don't think he ever owned Ford Australia which is part of the Ford Motor Company of the USA which had acquired Jaguar. As a Ford dealer and his position in the industry, Uncle Nick would have had contacts and it would be easy for him to make a phone call to help a friend out to supplement the "unders" they received.
Yes! And where is our Uncle Gordon on this subject?

RedVee_8

Juniors
Correct. But his brother was high up at Ford for a while. But afaik gone well before Cronk came to the Chooks.

RedVee_8

Juniors
You are talking about Geoff Polites. He was CEO of Ford in Australia and although surname is the same, he was not related to Nick. Just coincidence both in the car game.
Ok, at the time the press reported him going from a dealer to Ford Aus. I thought they said City Ford but I accept I am mistaken. He went on to Ford in the US after the top job at Oz for a while. I read that ended a bit messily.