What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

New recruits for 2023

R&WTILLIDIE

First Grade
i got to say

I only played a couple years of FB when I was a young fella at local level

If your forwards and halves are controlling field position it is super rare to receive a bomb under pressure

The best FBs look the best because they are a touch above others in the comp but they massively benefit from field position and minimal pressure to show their attacking abilities

I wonder if the very best two FBs in the comp would look nearly as good at the Dragons last few years?

Sloan has a starting position at his feet if he can tough through our cycle of footy at the Dragons and bring a little more under the bomb

The guy is silky in attack and counter attack if we have the field position
I’d say fbs are only as good as the guys in front of them. But, they make the tasks that are expected of them look easy. Like taking bombs, under pressure or not, and making one on one tackles. Sure our line was dodgy all year. But Sloan was unable to do the tasks that a first grade standard fb would do week in and week out.

Reactions: jak

R&WTILLIDIE

First Grade
It;s too late to bring any new comes now, They will have no time to learn all of Griffin's awesome tactics/set plays that he has for the team. I mean I can't keep up myself with all these trick plays they have especially close to the line.. They are the entertainers.
The dragons couldn’t entertain a group of 5 year olds with magic tricks if they were David Copperfield.

Dragons4me

Juniors
I’d say fbs are only as good as the guys in front of them. But, they make the tasks that are expected of them look easy. Like taking bombs, under pressure or not, and making one on one tackles. Sure our line was dodgy all year. But Sloan was unable to do the tasks that a first grade standard fb would do week in and week out.

possm

Coach
Saab f**ked off because he thought he had earned the right to play FG (and he probably should have)

our club is so f**ked that we can’t sign anyone of note. Just journeymen or previously injured players. Hell, the dogs and tigers who were bottom feeders have overtaken this club. They do my head in this lot
We need to hire Nathan Brown as recruiting/retention Manager.
We need to sign Hasler as head coach.
If we did all this we would be on our way to greatness again.

kit66

Bench
I hate to sound like gitano, but I could’ve scored 30 out of those 37 tries.

I get it you guys are upset with the way Saab parted company with the Dragons (or the way it's been spun on LU Forums) but you're peeing in the wind trying to detract from Saabs efforts so far. He's scored a lot of tries off the back of Turbo's brilliance but that's his job and it's been his speed and finishing that's also contributed greatly to his 37 tries.
In 2021 him and Turbo formed the most lethal attacking combo in the comp and maybe the best combo in 20 years, 54 tries, 34 try assists, 50 line breaks, thrilling their fans, taking Manly to the finals and making me extremely jealous and you guys don't rate him, you guys could of scored those tries yourself. You're like those people who think they could paint just as good as Picasso or Pollock, you're fooling no-one but yourselves.
I like Ravalawa but imagine him even trying to keep up with Turbo, nah.

Last edited:

Qdf

Juniors
If he refuses to catch bombs or make head on tackles then he has already reached his ceiling.

I'm ok if he makes errors whilst making attempts (get palmed off, get run over the top of or drop a bomb etc) but not making attempts is unacceptable.

People will try and sheet it home to the coach but let's face the facts you can't make it this far if you can't catch or tackle to some degree but deciding to shirk it because you are now in with the big boys now just doesn't cut the mustard.

All this hoo haa about his size and growing into his body bla bla bla as an excuse is flawed thinking because if you think you aren't big enough for the contact yet, then come back when you are.

If you are worried about body contact then this level is not for you.

FMD if you take the money and keep demanding that the position should be yours then FFS own all of it.

As I keep saying I can live with mistakes whilst they improve but not having a go at all especially when the chips are down is nigh on unforgivable.

Nah it is unforgivable.
Agree, if Sloan wants to see what's what, take a look at Jayden Campbell, way smaller & lighter than Sloan. He never shirks his defensive responsibilities,
& attacks every bomb.
He has a heart as big as a lion.( or at least as big as Presto)

redVinme

Bench
Every time this thread has a new post I hope it might be some news that we've signed someone who's not a Wests reserve grader.
You'll take 2 more Qld cup players then and you'll like it. We will make sure they are from east bris tigers just for good measure.

Old Timer

Coach
Just say we were able to get Thompson, Tapau & Friz on 2 year contracts at reasonable $$$ would that be to our advantage?

Would that make us a chance for the 8?

Would they be blocking anyone coming through?

In fact would they be beneficial as we try to bring Coric etc through?