What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

New Rule Change in 2024 - contests for ball

thebigredv

First Grade

Interesting change coming this season to encourage more risk from teams. I can see the thinking behind it and I think I like it. See how it plays out in reality. It will definitely favour a team like the Dragons who have given countless penalties away for poor kick restarts. Less controversial than the 6 again rule which is great in theory but policed terribly and inconsistently.

Link: https://www.news.com.au/sport/nrl/i...4/news-story/d0987abdea2dbb92fb3fc3185d3d6b57

‘Incentivise more contests for the ball’: NRL make major change to contested restarts in 2024​

The NRL have made a law change concerning contested restarts in a bid to encourage teams to take risks to regain possession and add to the unpredictability of the game in 2024.
Fox League

January 17, 2024 - 9:12PM

The NRL have made a law change concerning contested restarts in a bid to encourage teams to take risks to regain possession and add to the unpredictability of the game in 2024.
“The change is designed to incentivise more contests for the ball from set restarts,” the NRL said in a statement on Wednesday, announcing the move which the league believes will give teams “more incentive” to attempt short kick-offs or drop-outs.
So what is the change?

Well, the NRL said that as of next season, if a team kicks the ball out on the full over the touch line, or the ball fails to travel at least 10 metres forward in an attempt to contest a restart from the goal-line, 20m line, or half-way line, play will now restart with a play-the-ball 10 metres out from the line of the kick and 10 metres in from touch, rather than with a penalty kick.
“While relatively minor, this change will add to the unpredictability of the game,” Graham Annesley said.
The NRL will change the way set restarts are officiated in 2024.

“Teams will no longer risk conceding significant territory as well as a penalty for attempting to regain possession from restarts of play.

“We undertook a thorough review of the 2023 season, including consultation with the NRL Clubs, the RLPA and other stakeholders, and while there was a strong desire to keep changes to a minimum, this minor change will incentivise short kick-offs and drop-outs.
“This will strongly accompany the Commission’s direction to enhance the existing rules, leading to a faster, more free-flowing and unpredictable game.”
The change has been approved by the Commission and was communicated today to the NRL Clubs and Coaches.

Dragon David

First Grade

Interesting change coming this season to encourage more risk from teams. I can see the thinking behind it and I think I like it. See how it plays out in reality. It will definitely favour a team like the Dragons who have given countless penalties away for poor kick restarts. Less controversial than the 6 again rule which is great in theory but policed terribly and inconsistently.

Link: https://www.news.com.au/sport/nrl/i...4/news-story/d0987abdea2dbb92fb3fc3185d3d6b57

‘Incentivise more contests for the ball’: NRL make major change to contested restarts in 2024​

Fox League

January 17, 2024 - 9:12PM

“The change is designed to incentivise more contests for the ball from set restarts,” the NRL said in a statement on Wednesday, announcing the move which the league believes will give teams “more incentive” to attempt short kick-offs or drop-outs.
So what is the change?

Well, the NRL said that as of next season, if a team kicks the ball out on the full over the touch line, or the ball fails to travel at least 10 metres forward in an attempt to contest a restart from the goal-line, 20m line, or half-way line, play will now restart with a play-the-ball 10 metres out from the line of the kick and 10 metres in from touch, rather than with a penalty kick.
“While relatively minor, this change will add to the unpredictability of the game,” Graham Annesley said.

“Teams will no longer risk conceding significant territory as well as a penalty for attempting to regain possession from restarts of play.

“We undertook a thorough review of the 2023 season, including consultation with the NRL Clubs, the RLPA and other stakeholders, and while there was a strong desire to keep changes to a minimum, this minor change will incentivise short kick-offs and drop-outs.
“This will strongly accompany the Commission’s direction to enhance the existing rules, leading to a faster, more free-flowing and unpredictable game.”
The change has been approved by the Commission and was communicated today to the NRL Clubs and Coaches.
It's good that you have created this Thread thebigredv. Sorry that I put stuff on the Rumours Thread and there have been several posters commenting on it.

Hopefully this rule will help us rather than hinder us. All teams will be practising this for sure and you can bet that they will have some sneaky things up their sleeves to make sure they can regain possession most of the time.

shiloh dc

Juniors
Drop outs will now be more important - Dragons needs to scour the reggies to find a 5/8 with impeccable kicking pedigree but can also accurately pass and defend. Additionally, having a really tall second rower or winger will be crucial. I wonder if further rule tweaks are made to allow intentional lifting?

TheRev

First Grade
The rule change is an improvement.. but the short dropoffs in general take the joy out of getting a 6-again.. especially when someone makes a huge play to trap their fullback in his ingoal etc...

I know that as dragons fans were bias because we are the worst at handling them, but to me the concept is more of a novelty.. its a luckydip, it seems counter-intuitive to what we are trying to achieve as an attacking team.

The biggest part I dont like though is we are to scared to catch the ball when its right on the 10m line, somehow we were getting penalised if the kicker didnt kick it far enough..

Beat me to the punch....if its not broke, don't tinker with it.
More so after we witness one of the best Grand Finals in more recent times.
If ever there was a time we did not need any further tinkering with the rule book, now is that time.
Ever since Vlandys and Abdo made that statement in a press conference in the last year or two, "you all have to remember that we are in the entertainment business", it is like it has gone to their heads that the game needs to be constantly changed, even when the greater majority of fans seem to agree that the quality of the football being played at all senior levels is in a very sweet spot right now.

Latest posts