What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

2024 rule change: drop-out and kick-off penalties

Maximus

Coach
They will probably look at that gradually. Either go back to 5 or allow 3 markers who don’t have to be square.

He's talking about it being a penalty if a kick off or drop out doesn't go 10m.

If your logic is that it should be the exact same as general play kicking, why shouldn't they be able to kick it 1m or backwards?

T-Boon

Coach

If your logic is that it should be the exact same as general play kicking, why shouldn't they be able to kick it 1m or backwards?
I see. Thanks for pointing that out.
I don’t think my logic is that it is exactly the same (it obviously isn’t). My point is just that kicking out on the full in general play is not that big of a sin that it should be a penalty so why from a kick off or drop out.

Last edited:

T-Boon

Coach

If they got rid of the rule from a kickoff that it is the kicking teams feed if it finds touch then I would be fine with allowing a kick to go less than 10m before the kicking team can gather it in (also it would have to be the last tackle).

Danish

Referee
I must be the only one who thinks this is a good change.

Teams only risk trying short kick offs/goal line drop puts when they are trailing, it's a desperate attempt to get the ball back.

If the short kick is misjudged and they get penalised the team that's leading gets either a penalty, going ahead by a further 2 pionts, or kicking for touch and being on attack 10m out and probably scoring.

Game over ! Change channel !

Personally I'd prefer a closer game where the loosing team had a better chance of coming back.

Maybe we should make tries worth 5 points when you are behind, but only worth 3 when you are in front.

you know, keep it close…

Nuke

Staff member
just rewarding mediocrity .... may as well give a participation award to the kicker for doing a shit job
They do that in that 'other' game they play in Victoria. A game based on kicking. But you can't kick? Doesn't matter, son. Here, have a point for trying and a butt-slap from your other skinny-framed, mullet-wearing teammates.

yobbo84

Coach

Oh yay, the NRL sucking away yet more enjoyment from the fans.

Imaging celebrating a golden point win, only for some ref in the bunker to come back and say your marker stepped 30cm to the left and then they go and take away the field goal?

Stuff that.

If the ref sees something then sure, stop the clock, and then let the video ref check.

None of this "award the try/field goal and then we'll take it away if we find something" bullshit. It's the WORST.

Iamback

Coach

Oh yay, the NRL sucking away yet more enjoyment from the fans.

Imaging celebrating a golden point win, only for some ref in the bunker to come back and say your marker stepped 30cm to the left and then they go and take away the field goal?

Stuff that.

If the ref sees something then sure, stop the clock, and then let the video ref check.

None of this "award the try/field goal and then we'll take it away if we find something" bullshit. It's the WORST.

They can't even check off side

yobbo84

Coach
They can't even check off side
How good's that going to be? They bring up on the replay to check if the marker wasn't square, but it shows that they were both square, although it does show 3 players were 7m offside but they can't do anything about it....

Iamback

Coach
How good's that going to be? They bring up on the replay to check if the marker wasn't square, but it shows that they were both square, although it does show 3 players were 7m offside but they can't do anything about it....

I get why they are doing it but ignoring off sides is dumb

Desert Qlder

First Grade
Would this have been enforced if Townsend misses the field goal?

The bunker official will reportedly inform the on-field referee to delay kick-off until a final decision has been made regarding any foul play.

Should a missed field goal attempt go past the dead ball line, the bunker will also be able to check if markers were square before pressuring the kicker.

1710972717298.png

T-Boon

Coach
Would this have been enforced if Townsend misses the field goal?

The bunker official will reportedly inform the on-field referee to delay kick-off until a final decision has been made regarding any foul play.

Should a missed field goal attempt go past the dead ball line, the bunker will also be able to check if markers were square before pressuring the kicker.

View attachment 85403
They should also on every try check to see if the play the ball was correct as in the ball touched the foot.

T-Boon

Coach
How would getting rid of the kick off ruin the game? It’s one of the most predicable and boring plays every time.
I could make restarts way more interesting and less of a collision.

Valheru

Coach
I forgot to mention it at the time but the idiocy of the short kick off rule was on full display in the roosters/souths game.

There was an incident where souths kicked off short and one of our players touched the ball before it travelled 10m resulting in a penalty to souths. Had a souths player touched it before it travelled 10m the roosters would only have gotten a tap.

Ridiculous.

yobbo84

Coach
I forgot to mention it at the time but the idiocy of the short kick off rule was on full display in the roosters/souths game.

There was an incident where souths kicked off short and one of our players touched the ball before it travelled 10m resulting in a penalty to souths. Had a souths player touched it before it travelled 10m the roosters would only have gotten a tap.

Ridiculous.
Actually it would have been penalty to you if a Souths player touched it. But if the kick didn't go ten, or went sailing 20 rows back into the grandstand, then it's a scrum.

It's a stupid confusing rule change.

PARRA_FAN

Coach

Kent is right, the fact that they are talking about is embarrassing. I mean what's next?

Why would you do a tap kick 20m from your own line? So basically with a lot of kick offs, the teams are caught 10m from their own line. So supposedly changing the rule, you're gaining an extra 10m? Pleease. :rolleyes:

I think it was mentioned that other day with Alexander and Ennis, and they suggested changing the rule to avoid the incident with Preston.

They are so worried about concussions and injuries, yet there is a small percentage of head knocks from the kicks offs.

We love seeing front rowers go at full pace taking the ball up and either getting smashed or breaking the tackle. But if we limit the interchange to 4 or 6, perhaps a front rower would be fatigue and wont go the full speed, perhaps that might limit the concussions who knows.

For now, just leave it alone

As far as I'm aware, the only people talking about this were the hosts on NRL 360. Haven't heard this being discussed anywhere else in the media.

Wb1234

Referee
Kent is right, the fact that they are talking about is embarrassing. I mean what's next?

Why would you do a tap kick 20m from your own line? So basically with a lot of kick offs, the teams are caught 10m from their own line. So supposedly changing the rule, you're gaining an extra 10m? Pleease. :rolleyes:

I think it was mentioned that other day with Alexander and Ennis, and they suggested changing the rule to avoid the incident with Preston.

They are so worried about concussions and injuries, yet there is a small percentage of head knocks from the kicks offs.

We love seeing front rowers go at full pace taking the ball up and either getting smashed or breaking the tackle. But if we limit the interchange to 4 or 6, perhaps a front rower would be fatigue and wont go the full speed, perhaps that might limit the concussions who knows.

For now, just leave it alone
Yep watching that first tackle is the best or even better a team gets a few of them in